Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The 2013 Pathfinder SL Premium is the first Nissan I have purchased. Bought it at the end of November. I've been noticing that the Pathfinder wasn't responding well to cold weather. Today was -15°C or 5°F here in Ottawa, Ontario and I had to drive it back to the dealership.

Here's what I've noticed so far:

(1) Power windows don't work well in the cold weather - Today was bad because after paying the parking attendant the driver's side window did not go back up... and no, it was not frozen shut by ice and I warmed up the car. Getting the window down wasn't a problem. The passenger's side window worked but very slowly, the other windows worked fine. I've noticed this on other cold days as well. Needless to say the kids were quite cold as I drove to the dealership from the museum. The service department was closed so they parked it in the service bay and will get back to me tomorrow. Maybe this is just a one-off and it's just a bad motor.

(2) Dehumidified defrost - the manual says that when the front defrost function is selected the "air conditioner will automatically be turned on at outside temperatures above 36°F (2°C)". Well, my experience so far is that the A/C always goes on, even today. The A/C should not go on when it's so cold outside because it won't dehumidify the air. I feel that it's working the A/C for no reason and could potentially damage the compressor. It just makes me nervous to see the A/C light go on in the winter. Note that the air does not blow cold though. Also, when I switch to another mode, the A/C stays on and I have to manually turn it off. The 2013 Altima that the dealer gave me tonight has the dehumidified defrost function but the A/C light did not go on. So there's something definitely wrong with my Pathfinder. Maybe it's a programming error.

I'd like to know if any of you are experiencing the same when you select a mode with the front defrost.

(3) Wiper blades - absolutely useless. Two days ago we had snow and the wipers just kept freezing because the snow just latches on to them. It wasn't cold either, hovering around -4°C (25 °F). Now, I usually buy winter wipers and I plan to do the same ... but still, not very impressed by the quality of the wipers. I asked the dealer for new ones.

Not sure why the Pathfinder is having these types of problems, they should have been caught by Nissan when they did their cold weather testing - http://youtu.be/iMziYq8RTXk

If you live in a cold climate, I'd like to know if you noticed these problems or any other cold weather performance issues.

I'll give you an update when I hear back from the dealer.

Apart from these problems, I really like the Pathfinder. It drives well, the interior is luxurious, and the styling is refined.

Javier

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
1. I hope this is a one off problem. Let us know how it goes

2. This is common with many cars. From what I know the AC comes on because the air is dryer and it helps defog the window. IT also keeps the AC system lubed and running in the winter where it usually never comes on. The downfall is that having the AC run will affect gas mileage. It is a normal thing for many new Nissans.

3. Never heard of that one. I am not sure if different silicone wipers will make a difference. But I know what might..

its called 303 UV aerospace. I buy this stuff in jugs. It's great for using as a protectant on leather and on the dash to keep it from drying and cracking. it's an all around UV protectant. Use it on your wipers and it will prevent the wiper from freezing onto the windshield.

Hope I helped.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
3. Never heard of that one. I am not sure if different silicone wipers will make a difference. But I know what might..

its called 303 UV aerospace. I buy this stuff in jugs. It's great for using as a protectant on leather and on the dash to keep it from drying and cracking. it's an all around UV protectant. Use it on your wipers and it will prevent the wiper from freezing onto the windshield.

Hope I helped.
+1 for 303 Aerospace products. I particularly like their fabric/plastic cleaner. I even use it in my Bissell carpet cleaner for use on household fabrics/carpets. The stuff is great.

The protectant product is great on plastics in particular - I spray it on my headlight lenses to keep them from yellowing due to UV exposure. And in the interior, it does a great job of protecting plastics/vinyl, without leaving any nasty, oily residue like Armorall does.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Adding to the car care discussion going on here...

A trick I learned a while back when I used to be a car washer/detailer for a BMW dealership to get rid of those salt stains on carpet, was to pour hot water on it, SCRUB and vacuum it up with a wet and dry vac.

If you really want to you can use a carpet cleaner after to make it even more clean.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just want to give an update.

(1) Nothing wrong with the motor, just the cold weather was preventing the windows from going up. The tech sprayed silicone on the window weather stripping to help it glide better since they're so new. I guess I'll be weary of using the windows on very cold days for the time being.

(2)The tech mentioned that its working how Nissan designed it. He tested another new Pathfinder on their lot and worked the same ... a/c light goes on when the front defrost mode is activated even temps 36°F (2°C). He said that its not actually cooling the air but dehumidifying it ... I still think that if that's the case then Nissan shouldn't make the A/C light go on. They're going to bring it to Nissan's attention. The service manager also admitted that they have a hard time convincing their customers that its OK that the A/C goes on automatically when front defrost mode is selected.

It's still going to take me sometime to get used to seeing the A/C light go on and ignoring it in the winter. Still would like to get some confirmation by members of this forum that they're A/C light goes on at temps below
36°F (2°C).

(3) They gave me new winter wipers which work much better ... I'll keep an eye out for the 303 UV aerospace product suggested by cfrp.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
glad to know it worked out. I wouldn't stress about the AC light. It happens across many Nissan platforms. Just a quick google shows many owners discussing the topic.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
glad to know it worked out. I wouldn't stress about the AC light. It happens across many Nissan platforms. Just a quick google shows many owners discussing the topic.
It's not unique to Nissan either. My Hondas all operated in the same way. Now, I did have a Toyota and currently have a Subaru that does not, but the A/C compressor still kicked on for defrost (you could hear/feel it).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

(1) Nothing wrong with the motor, just the cold weather was preventing the windows from going up. The tech sprayed silicone on the window weather stripping to help it glide better since they're so new. I guess I'll be weary of using the windows on very cold days for the time being.

(2)The tech mentioned that its working how Nissan designed it. He tested another new Pathfinder on their lot and worked the same ... a/c light goes on when the front defrost mode is activated even temps 36°F (2°C). He said that its not actually cooling the air but dehumidifying it ... I still think that if that's the case then Nissan shouldn't make the A/C light go on. They're going to bring it to Nissan's attention. The service manager also admitted that they have a hard time convincing their customers that its OK that the A/C goes on automatically when front defrost mode is selected.

It's still going to take me sometime to get used to seeing the A/C light go on and ignoring it in the winter. Still would like to get some confirmation by members of this forum that they're A/C light goes on at temps below
36°F (2°C).

(3) They gave me new winter wipers which work much better ... I'll keep an eye out for the 303 UV aerospace product suggested by cfrp.

Good to know it's just a matter of spaying silicone. I guess something every new Pathfinder owner should keep with them is silicone spray for the windows rubber liner.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's not just silicone. There is a grease made specifically for greasing tracks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

36°F (2°C).

By the way I read your first post.

1.The dealer lent me the Pathfinder 2013 for the weekend and I felt the powerwindows are really lame. They go up so slowly and I was afraid it wouldn't go all the way up. I do live in a cold place(-35oC WITHOUT wind factor this week) and after reading your post, I'm kind of scared. I own a Murano 2007 and G37X and I do not experience this at all with the power windows.

2.My Murano 2007 does the same thing when I go in defrost mode or defrost and feet mode BUT when I push the AC button it turns off. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said that although the light goes off in my Murano the compressor is still on after I push the AC button to turn it off. I did not argue but I really think he is wrong because when I push the AC button to turn it off in my Murano, I here the compressor turning off and I ''feel'' it in the pedal. I think this is stupid not to give the option to turn it off because once the car is ''hot'' I don't need the AC to defrost my windshield anymore. It just might be the reason why I don't buy this SUV as it cuts on raw power when you want to pass or it just use more gas.

I hope my post is clear.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I also think they should allow you to turn off the AC in defrost. My acura had this problem but there was a DIY fix to it. Something with holding a few buttons for 15 seconds and it allowed me to manually over ride it. Your dealer is wrong. In your Murano the compressor DOES turn off when you turn off AC in defrost. Anyone with a sense of driving feel would be able to tell when the compressor is on or off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also think they should allow you to turn off the AC in defrost. My acura had this problem but there was a DIY fix to it. Something with holding a few buttons for 15 seconds and it allowed me to manually over ride it. Your dealer is wrong. In your Murano the compressor DOES turn off when you turn off AC in defrost. Anyone with a sense of driving feel would be able to tell when the compressor is on or off.
Thank you very much. That's what I thought. I also had an acura RSX and yes you're right they did have the same issue but you could override it. In my G37x you can turn off the AC when it's on defrost mode. I do not know if Nissan plans to fix this but right now I really don't want to buy this SUV because of this ''bug''. If anybody has solved this problem(i.e. not able to turn off AC while in defrost mode or defrost and feet mode) please let me know how you did this. I live in a cold place (-35oC all week with -50oC wind chill factor) so for me to get to the next big city it's 350miles/550km away so I need to get there with one tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm hoping that they fix this too because it doesn't make any sense (and it drives me nuts to have to constantly turn off the AC as I switch to the other modes). It's also not working according to the manual. I'm sure it can be as simple as a programing fix.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Extremely cold today in Ottawa, -27°C (-17°F) and once again the Pathfinder did not respond well. Got a 4WD Error ... one more thing they need to look into. I hate to be the one having to report these problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extremely cold today in Ottawa, -27°C (-17°F) and once again the Pathfinder did not respond well. Got a 4WD Error ... one more thing they need to look into. I hate to be the one having to report these problems.

Did you feel the 4WD wasn't working or dit you just get the error code. Maybe there isn't snow on the road right now in Ottawa. Where I am we're always driving on ice/snow so I'd appreciate it if you could come back with an answer.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
7 Posts

With this 4WD error did you ''feel'' that the 4 wheel drive wasn't working ? Maybe there no snow on the road right now in Ottawa... Anyway I'd appreciate it if you could come back with an answer because where I live, I'm always on ice/snow and it's -42oC today without wind chill factor. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just went back to check on my Pathfinder, it's still -25°C, and the good news is that there's no more 4WD Error warning. I was able to drive with the 4WD locked. Like many cars in this cold weather, it guess it needed more time to warm up.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I noticed my car (not a pathfinder) took much longer than usual to warm up this morning, even my friends said their cars took a long time to warm up. Some experiencing weird things with their cars when cold, but once fully warmed up it was fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My Lexus Rx350 never had any issues in the cold. I leave it out when I go to mont tremblant for boarding the whole week and its fine.

But my Honda Accord coupe had issues when I first got it.. brand new, less 1000 miles and it would not start in the cold in NY. It took me about 10 minutes to get it going by sheer luck.

Now I have my 2013 pathfinder about 3 days, leaving it out in Albany NY in 17F real feel around 5-10F and its fine so far.. I have yet to bring it far north yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had our first real weather here in Maryland and the wipers are totally useless. They freeze even after I cleared them completely off and they could not keep up with even light snow. I'm going to go get some cold weather blades and save these for the spring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts