Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's my first time posting here. Me and the wife are looking for a new car. With a growing family and work I need something with room. We have driven the pathfinder , acadia , exploder and traverse. We like the pathfinder and acadia the best. After reading reviews on the pathfinder and trolling the forums I feel like lots of people have problems with the CVT trans, headlights burning out , etc . For every decent thing you read about the pathfinder there are 5 negatives . Has nissan made any plans to fix these problems? Would you guys honestly recommend to stay away? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's a first year model so there are bound to be some problems.

The CVT stutter and loss of power was the BIG issue for me, but yesterday saw the press get involved on behalf of affected consumers, which forced Nissan to publicly acknowledge the issue, as well as commit to deliver a new part that fixes the problem some time in June.

I recently did a deal on a 2014 Pathfinder (all models being made at the factory are now 2014), and got written confirmation from the dealer that the new part is installed by default on the new models.

The Pathfinder seems like a perfect vehicle for me and my family. Now that the stutter/loss of power problem is being addressed, I really don't see any reason to hold off buying one.

Just do a factory order of a 2014 model to ensure you get the latest and greatest version, with as many 2013 kinks ironed out as possible :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Uh...that is the norm for just about every vehicle. Happy people are not nearly as vocal as unhappy people. I have had zero issues with my Pathfinder and I have almost 4000 miles on it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think too much is made of these issues to tell you the truth. Like with anything on the internet people go to find/fix problems. So what happens on site like these? People come to vent and share problems more so than share the good. I have a 3/13 build date on mine and have not had any problems. I have had the Shudder a few times, but nothing that makes me think the vehicle is unsafe. It still feels to me like it's functioning properly, just at low speeds and certain throttle is hunting for the gear it needs. There are a few fit and finish things on the exterior that could have been done better. Overall very pleased with the vehicle 2800 miles in. It's quiet, comfortable, flexible, nice looking. Read a little further about the Acadia and you will want to avoid it. I have had good luck with Nissan's through the years. And they are proactive with getting fixes out and taking care of their customers. This can be hindered at times based on the dealer you have. I think saying that for every positive there are 5 negatives is being a bit dramatic. The main issues are the studder, the airbag issue and some that have had problems with a cvt fluid hose. All of which have been remedied or soon will be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Pathfinder Platinum in January 2013. I have been dealing with the CVT judder issue since about 500 miles on the odometer. I now have just over 7200 miles. I was choosing between the Pathfinder and the Traverse when I purchased. I can honestly say that despite the first year issues I have had with the new design, I am still happy with my choice. The judder for me is more an annoyance than anything else. Despite that, I still love everything else about the vehicle. It is my understanding that Nissan should have the judder issue resolved by the end of June.

If you are not pressed to buy a new vehicle right now, I would probably suggest you wait. If not for the 2014's, at least wait to see if they resolve the 2013 issue. I am pretty confident it will get resolved soon. If you can't wait, I personally would probably still buy the Pathfinder.

As I recall when I was doing my research one of the things that led me away from the Traverse is that owners have been reporting transmission problems for several years now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It always amazes me when people who don't have any of these issues come in here and try to say those of use with issues are making a big deal or making something out of nothing or some such characterization. In addition to the judder, my first 2013 Pathfinder LOST ALL POWER while I was going up a parking garage incline, then again while trying to turn in front of traffic exiting from a freeway in a busy construction area, and then the loaner did the same thing while turning onto a busy three lane road. I have read numerous incidents of this same thing happening.

I am very happy for those who have had no issues; this is an amazing vehicle otherwise. But please don't come in here on your high horse stating that since you have had no issues, the rest of us shouldn't be making a big deal about them. These are not imagined and in some cases, such as the power loss and air bag issue, they are SERIOUS safety risks, not only for us and our families, but for other drivers on the road as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What amazes me is that people get so wound up about what other people say about a freaking car. Take a chill pill. It isn't that serious. It's a car. Get a grip. Nobody was insulting anyone. I didn't intend at all to belittle the issues people are having. I was simply trying to say that these things are blown out of proportion on the internet. Just like anything else. Look up a medical issue on the internet, and you get the worst of the worst. That is the point I was making. I realize there is an issue for some of you and that sucks. But someone stating that for every good thing there are 5 negative is simply false. Especially basing that judgement off of internet research. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What amazes me is that people get so wound up about what other people say about a freaking car. Take a chill pill. It isn't that serious. It's a car. Get a grip. Nobody was insulting anyone. I didn't intend at all to belittle the issues people are having. I was simply trying to say that these things are blown out of proportion on the internet. Just like anything else. Look up a medical issue on the internet, and you get the worst of the worst. That is the point I was making. I realize there is an issue for some of you and that sucks. But someone stating that for every good thing there are 5 negative is simply false. Especially basing that judgement off of internet research. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
And again with your high horse.

It isn't serious? It's just a car? Potentially causing a serious accident that could easily result in injuries or deaths due to a power loss IS serious and is in no way blown out of proportion and isn't just a car. How wonderful to know that there are people who take that lightly and that they are allowed to operate a motor vehicle with such a blasé attitude about serious safety risks. Again, you would be singing a different tune if it was YOUR family in the vehicle when it lost power. But because YOU have had no issues, you think everyone else is blowing these little things out of proportion. What an amazing sense of self-entitlement.

·
Registered
215 Posts
And again with your high horse.

It isn't serious? It's just a car? Potentially causing a serious accident that could easily result in injuries or deaths due to a power loss IS serious and is in no way blown out of proportion and isn't just a car. How wonderful to know that there are people who take that lightly and that they are allowed to operate a motor vehicle with such a blasé attitude about serious safety risks. Again, you would be singing a different tune if it was YOUR family in the vehicle when it lost power. But because YOU have had no issues, you think everyone else is blowing these little things out of proportion. What an amazing sense of self-entitlement.
Are you this dramatic with every event in your life? As a grown adult who purchased a car under their own power you really spend a lot of time venting on a message board. Spend that energy talking to nissan. You have posted your same complaint of losing power in almost every **** thread. We get it, you're disappointed with your car, but your case makes a very small percent of the cars they produce. Give them a chance to fix or go buy a craptastic Chevy. Either way quit running around looking for sympathy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is no high horse to speak of. You are still missing my point. I agree that it is a serious issue. And I would be concerned if it was my family. My point is, we hear about more negative than positive on the internet. So for someone to come to a site like this and make a decision on a vehicle is somewhat skewed. But you can pick the things out you want to hear and continue to comment. Couple Quotes from my statement you missed. "I didn't intend at all to belittle the issues people are having."
"I realize there is an issue for some of you and that sucks."

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is no high horse to speak of. You are still missing my point. I agree that it is a serious issue. And I would be concerned if it was my family. My point is, we hear about more negative than positive on the internet. So for someone to come to a site like this and make a decision on a vehicle is somewhat skewed. But you can pick the things out you want to hear and continue to comment. Couple Quotes from my statement you missed. "I didn't intend at all to belittle the issues people are having."
"I realize there is an issue for some of you and that sucks."
You invalidate your place in the argument when you say things like "get a grip" and "it's a car" and "take a chill pill".

I highly doubt anyone here is making their decision based solely on this site alone. They are most likely taking this information along with the numerous complaints with the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...WXXcv3v0wSfYcv6tBS3S8pVGL1hGdpy8v!-2129279010

The numerous complaints on KBB:
Kelley Blue Book

The numerous complaints on Edmunds:
2013 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

In addition to several other forums who also have PF owners with this issues.

Again, your attitude is that these are minor items but it's not really a big enough issue to get all up in arms about. I, and the other people experiencing these issues on a daily basis, disagree. You paint us as blowing it out of proportion and making a big deal out of nothing. That is exactly what puts you on a high horse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you this dramatic with every event in your life? As a grown adult who purchased a car under their own power you really spend a lot of time venting on a message board. Spend that energy talking to nissan. You have posted your same complaint of losing power in almost every **** thread. We get it, you're disappointed with your car, but your case makes a very small percent of the cars they produce. Give them a chance to fix or go buy a craptastic Chevy. Either way quit running around looking for sympathy.
Oh, good, an other thread policeman.

Worrying about the safety of a vehicle that has the power to kill someone is being dramatic? I'm actually pointing out someone else trying to create drama where there is none. This is a Pathfinder forum; of course I'm going to post my complaints in threads that are specifically about issues with the car. I'm not "disappointed" in the vehicle. It put me in a life threatening situation on more than one occasion. When it comes to life threatening situations, I have no problem voicing my opinion and experience. That isn’t being dramatic, it’s being assertive.

I gave the dealership a chance to fix my first PF. They did not do so. I am now in my second one, and yes, I will give them the opportunity to fix it. If they don't, I will use the Lemon Law in my state and they will have to buy it back.

I have never posted anything that can be construed by a normal person as looking for sympathy. I am posting my experiences and information in order to help others in my situation.

And I have spent HOURS on the phone with numerous people from Nissan. Thanks for the suggestion though. I wouldn't have thought of doing that unless you had mentioned it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow. Fine. You win. That is obviously what you need to hear. Now you can move on with your day. Some people... Still missed the point. And that's ok.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow. Fine. You win. That is obviously what you need to hear. Now you can move on with your day. Some people... Still missed the point. And that's ok.
You're definitely right about "some people". Trust me, I wasn't letting you keep me from moving on with my day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think that any rationale adult who frequents this site can read my original post and get the point I was making. I wasn't saying the issues are not a big deal. I was saying you hear the worst of the worst on the internet, and not enough of the good. Bottom line. My post about being happy with the vehicle isn't any less important than yours because it isn't about a safety concern. Get over yourself. You attacked my post. This is obviously a sensitive subject for you. Share your bad experience, but don’t try and belittle others trying to also share their experiences and opinions because they are not the same as yours.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well said kacebelle.

I agree to some extent with both sides of this discussion. Yes all vehicles have issues and there are no guarantees no matter what you buy, but you have to try to find the vehicle with the best odds of being trouble free for the long term. Initial quality has been lacking in some areas with the Pathfinder - yes its a first model year and its common BUT we still don't know how this will play out. Many models, such as Ford Explorer for example, have these early issues but fail to quickly address them and the issues carry over to multiple model years and in some cases never get fully resolved. In other cases by the second model year things are taken care of and all is well.

We have to wait and see what the 2014's bring to know the answer to this question - for the extremely high price of this vehicle, I would not be comfortable buying right now, I personally would wait another 6 months and see how the 2014's perform before taking the gamble. There is just too much strong competition out there to put your money behind a bad vehicle. The CX-9 for example is rock solid and a proven design, the Traverse is finally receiving good reliablity reviews after about 5 model years. Personally I would also wait to see the completely redesigned 2014 Toyota Highlander and compare it directly to the '14 Pathfinder. Regardless of the media reports, Toyota is still tops in quality products, and the Highlander should be pretty awesome with larger dimensions, seating for 8, with good fuel effiency.

This is my unbiased opinion, no brand loyalty here. My background - I drive a 2008 Nissan Rogue that I purchased new, it was a first model year and it had very similar issues as the Pathfinder is having now with the CVT. For what its worth, Nissan is awesome with warranty work and taking action to remedy problems. The 2008 CVT issues that I experienced were all but eliminated in the 2009 model year and the vehicle has been extremely reliable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well said kacebelle.

I agree to some extent with both sides of this discussion. Yes all vehicles have issues and there are no guarantees no matter what you buy, but you have to try to find the vehicle with the best odds of being trouble free for the long term. Initial quality has been lacking in some areas with the Pathfinder - yes its a first model year and its common BUT we still don't know how this will play out. Many models, such as Ford Explorer for example, have these early issues but fail to quickly address them and the issues carry over to multiple model years and in some cases never get fully resolved. In other cases by the second model year things are taken care of and all is well.

We have to wait and see what the 2014's bring to know the answer to this question - for the extremely high price of this vehicle, I would not be comfortable buying right now, I personally would wait another 6 months and see how the 2014's perform before taking the gamble. There is just too much strong competition out there to put your money behind a bad vehicle. The CX-9 for example is rock solid and a proven design, the Traverse is finally receiving good reliablity reviews after about 5 model years. Personally I would also wait to see the completely redesigned 2014 Toyota Highlander and compare it directly to the '14 Pathfinder. Regardless of the media reports, Toyota is still tops in quality products, and the Highlander should be pretty awesome with larger dimensions, seating for 8, with good fuel effiency.

This is my unbiased opinion, no brand loyalty here. My background - I drive a 2008 Nissan Rogue that I purchased new, it was a first model year and it had very similar issues as the Pathfinder is having now with the CVT. For what its worth, Nissan is awesome with warranty work and taking action to remedy problems. The 2008 CVT issues that I experienced were all but eliminated in the 2009 model year and the vehicle has been extremely reliable.
Were they able to fix the problems permanently for you?

I will definitely be interested to see how the 2014 Pathfinders perform, and I'm willing to wait for the fix since I absolutely love everything else about this vehicle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 2008 Rogue CVT was defective. Initially the released an upgraded TCM re-program which helped, and late in 2008 they released an updated CVT design. My CVT was replaced and the replacement has been flawless. I am the Moderator for the NICO club Rogue forum and have monitored these issues closely over the years from a large pool of members, and the CVT issues did not re-surface after early 2009. The Rogue has been extremely reliable, mine included.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No need to get insulted. Yes when I said for every good thing you read there are 5 negatives is a bit of a stretch (although it doesnt seem by much) but you get the point. Sure every car has its issues but from what I am reading nissan is having lots of the same issues with the pathfinder.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey everyone, it's my first time posting here. Me and the wife are looking for a new car. With a growing family and work I need something with room. We have driven the pathfinder , acadia , exploder and traverse. We like the pathfinder and acadia the best. After reading reviews on the pathfinder and trolling the forums I feel like lots of people have problems with the CVT trans, headlights burning out , etc . For every decent thing you read about the pathfinder there are 5 negatives . Has nissan made any plans to fix these problems? Would you guys honestly recommend to stay away? Thanks for the help
Big Marc - I bought my PF back in November. The CVT judder was the biggest issue and the reprogram fixed mine. I'm still weary of it but I'm willing to say it's a moot point.

I also had to do several service campaigns to adjust some very minor issues (passenger air bag sensor, rear door hitting roof, etc).

All in all, GREAT car. It's a first model new after a completely new redesign so I'm giving them a little room to fix things up.

Buy the new 2014 and don't look back!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts