Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the kudos! It's hard being awesome, but we keeping trying! :)
I'm moving your post to the Technical Engine discussion area where you're more likely to get some feedback to your questions.
:welcome: to the forum!
I own a 2014 pathfinder and just had the cvt valve body replaced and they said they test drove it stating it was fine; well not fine; the car is making a scraping noise,and a burning smell. Brought vehicle back and demanded it get fixed and a loaner vehicle...

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,371 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Pathfinder and back in December the car stated making very loud noises when I turned on the AC. A couple of weeks ago they replaced the secondary fan for 1,000. Then 4 days later the car would not accelerate. I took it to the dealer and they told me that the code
P17F1 CVT Judder insp was stored. They then gave me a quote for 4,300 to replace the transmission. I called consumer affairs and they agreed to pay for 80% of the repairs. But they said they were a green company and would only replace the parts that are needed. I told them I was already told what was needed and I had an official quote. I then called the dealer and they said they will replace the valve but not the entire transmission. I find this situation very strange. If I paid the diagnostic recommended that I replaced the entire transmission. But if Nissan paid the repair would just be a valve. I read on this forum someone mentioned that replacing the valve might just be a temporary fix. Any advice? Do you think the fan in the radiator and the CVT problems are related? Thank you for your help!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How many miles on your PF?

It is not a valve, it's the valve body. This is a large component that controls how the transmission works.
Code P17f1 means replace the valve body. They should only replace the trasnmission of they find wear and damage on the chain upon further inspection.
P17f0 means replace the whole transmission.
So unless the dealer inserted a boroscope and confirmed that the chain is worn, consumer affairs is correct.

If your PF is under 100k miles I'd challenge consumer affairs with the following argument. Due to CVT issues the power train warranty of the 2013-2014 models was extended to 100k miles. The 2015 uses the same transmission.

About the fans, that has nothing to do with the CVT but you could have had that fixed with an aftermarket part for about $500. Now that you found us, ask before taking the stealership's word for granted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for answering, I know very little about cars!
My car has 74,000 miles.
Below is t he quote they gave me:

Dear Valued Client, While completing your vehicle's inspection, we have uncovered some additional items for your consideration. Please review these items here: https://menu.flathatsystems.com/reviewServices/2217/22178346/rPV7l9Yq?medium=sms
Hopefully you can open the link. But the price is 4,300. Is that the cost for a valve body?
I am waiting for the dealer (he is actually very nice). To explain to me what they will do, but he said that 4,300 is to replace the entire transmission. Which from what you explained to me seems incorrect according to the codes.
Do you think they should actually pay 100%? They offered 80%.
Should I request the do the work originally quoted?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,465 Posts
The quote states: INSPECTED CVT CHIAN / BELT , FOUND NO SIGNS OF DAMAGE ... and there is a spelling error.
So, according to that and the code found, valve body should do but maybe they saw something else. Ask them why they want to change the tranny and why Nissan only the recommends the valve body.
I think you are lucky that they are paying 80% but based on what I told you, you could ask for 100%, worst case they say no.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder Platinum
4 Posts
I've been sifting through many of these posts, so I guess it's my turn to present my situation.
'13 Pathfinder Platinum (2nd Owner, purchased from private seller in 2014 when it had 8K miles). The car hasn't been driven that much. Currently has about 50,400 miles. The CVT shudder became noticeable a couple of months ago and has become much more frequent this last month (right around 50K miles). Brought it to the dealer two days ago, unbeknownst to me with about 3 weeks left on the 84 month/84K extended warranty. DTC P17F0 thrown. Dealership requested transmission replacement, but Nissan only approved Valve Body and Subassembly. I was thinking they would replace the transmission based on the flow diagram from the service bulletin. I asked if there is any way that Nissan might approve replacing the entire transmission, and the customer service rep said it's extremely unlikely they would change the determination but I'm welcome to call Nissan. I've seen mixed reviews as to whether or not the Valve Body/Subassembly replacement will "fix" the problem. This would seem to be pretty much my only shot at it, since the extended warranty is only a few weeks from expiration. I guess the new valve body/subassembly comes with a 12 month/12K miles warranty, so I can use that time to decide whether or not to keep it. It's a bummer, since the vehicle is paid off and only has 50K miles. Was hoping to get more use from it before purchasing another vehicle and probably won't get much more than $12K on a trade-in. Any recommendations or perspective would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
621 Posts
I don't understand why Nissan service departments pull this crap where they tell a customer "you're welcome to call 1-800 Nissan".

This is the service advisers job!! They're the ones that ultimately work with whomever is up the chain with Nissan anyway.

The few good will repairs I've had with Nissan products, one of the dealer's service advisers handled it for me. To me it's pointless for a customer to call 1-800 Nissan. I've never seen anything good come from it.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder Platinum
4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. That was my thinking as well. The service advisor has been very pleasant to work with and informed me the request was for a reman transmission, but Nissan approved Valve Body and Subassembly. I mean, I don't know how much money Nissan has shelled out due to all of the CVT issues, but I doubt a call from me is going to change their mind. I should probably consider myself fortunate they aren't giving me the run-around, since I've only got 3 weeks remaining of the extended warranty. I'll be cautiously optimistic that the repairs will fix the CVT shudder, even if only temporarily. I should be able to tell a difference over the next couple of months, and we'll decide whether to keep it or ditch it in favor of a new family vehicle. This is my first Nissan, and I must say I'm not itching to get into a new Nissan. When I was in the market back in 2014, Nissan was 3rd on my list behind the Highlander and Pilot. Might reconsider one of those or the dreaded minivan 😂 Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
621 Posts
Once they drop the pan, if they see metal shavings in there, you'll wind up with a whole new CVT. If the pan has only normal debris, they'll replace the valve body and whatever else is on the list that can be done with the trans in the vehicle. Either way you should be good to go. Let them do their thing. What's frustrating about Nissan CVTs is they either go 300K miles or they poop the bed at 30K miles. For what ever reason, the Murano, Altima and Maxima V6 + CVT combo seems to hold up better. A guy on another board I frequent has a 2 door V6, CVT 2007 Altima with over 300K miles on it. He just recently started changing the fluid on it. I also know of a few super high mileage Murano owners. No CVT issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,465 Posts
The revised flowchart states that if no shavings or internal wear is found, to replace the valve body.
The valve body is what causes the shudder, no need to get another tranny.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder Platinum
4 Posts
The revised flowchart states that if no shavings or internal wear is found, to replace the valve body.
The valve body is what causes the shudder, no need to get another tranny.
Thanks! I was unaware of a revised flowchart. The service advisor confirmed that the technician did not find shavings, so I'm hopeful that the valve body and subassembly replacement improve the transmission performance/longevity. I'd like to get more use from the vehicle since it has just over 50K miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,465 Posts
Thanks! I was unaware of a revised flowchart. The service advisor confirmed that the technician did not find shavings, so I'm hopeful that the valve body and subassembly replacement improve the transmission performance/longevity. I'd like to get more use from the vehicle since it has just over 50K miles.
I went back and checked the latest flowchart and I was wrong, P17F0 still calls to replace the sub-assembly.
NTB17-039J

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder Platinum
4 Posts
I went back and checked the latest flowchart and I was wrong, P17F0 still calls to replace the sub-assembly.
NTB17-039J
Thank you for sharing that Service Bulletin. I hadn't seen that one. Seems like they are following it for my particular repairs (valve body and subassembly). I'm hopeful this will give us a lot more life from the vehicle, but I'm not confident of that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
NTB17-039J
Agree with @LostMyWay thanks for sharing. Some very good information in that Service Bulletin, 2 things that stand out, they replace the thrust bearing for the MY13-14 Pathfinder but reuse for the MY15-17 Pathfinder so wonder if this is a contributing wear part on these ?

Secondly, they replace the CVT Oil Pump with a new Oil Pump, as i have long suspected of being a contributing factor to the shudder/judder, but interestingly enough the part number PUMP ASSY-OIL 31340-3WX0A looks to still have a flow control valve, (Google Images) so they probably used titanium valves as the common fix on these rather than a redesigned pump as speculated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sorry to resurrect a long used thread, but we had the valve body replaced at 29k miles on our 2015 Pathfinder SL. We now have just over 51k miles on it and for the past 5k or so we thought we felt the shudder but it was very minor. I finally got around to running the code through my phone and lo and behold P17F1 came up again. Dealer has had our vehicle in twice now: 2 hours last week and 5 hours today. I'm waiting for the Master Tech to call again, but it looks like even the "new" fix does not solve the issue. We drive it very nice, hardly tow much, and always have it serviced at the same dealership. Yes, we have a lifetime warranty, but it's hard to trust this vehicle long term.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts