Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far in 2 months our Pathfinder has failed a basic safety test (wont downshift in low at low speeds), cracked a valve cover and dumped a bunch of oil all over the place, now my wife tells me it nearly stalled in an intersection (judder). I guess the only thing left for it to do to us is blow the transmission coolant line off and destroy the transmission.:(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow...sorry to hear your blues. Horrible luck. I guess we have been lucky through out our lives. We have never purchased a lemon. It only takes one to lose a customer for life. Companies should strive for Zero defects!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
The judder is nothing like a stall condition. It simply feels like driving over a rumble strip. I suspect you have a different issue there.

A cracked valve cover? Wow. The one thing that ought to be nearly bullet proof in the Pathfinder should be the engine. The VQ has been around in different guises for quite awhile now and is known for being reliable and highly refined.

I'd agree with sstarrx3, sounds like you've had a horrible run of luck thus far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The judder is nothing like a stall condition. It simply feels like driving over a rumble strip. I suspect you have a different issue there.

A cracked valve cover? Wow. The one thing that ought to be nearly bullet proof in the Pathfinder should be the engine. The VQ has been around in different guises for quite awhile now and is known for being reliable and highly refined.

I'd agree with sstarrx3, sounds like you've had a horrible run of luck thus far.
Same here, surprised a valve cover on a BRAND NEW PATHFINDER cracked. Never seen that one coming. I wonder how common this issue is as not everyone comes on forums to report issues.

I'd like to hear the explanation Nissan will give for it cracking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the valve cover was one of those s*** happens kind of things.

But what is really turning me off right now is their reaction to the safety defect that is really irritating me. If they would at least acknowledge it even if it would take some time then I would be patient. But the response from Nissan itself to us has been that its just the way the CVT works. According to the tachometer the transmission is approximately in an equivalent gear ratio to my pickups 3rd gear at 15mph. The RPM will go up significantly if I press on the gas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe the valve cover was one of those s*** happens kind of things.

But what is really turning me off right now is their reaction to the safety defect that is really irritating me. If they would at least acknowledge it even if it would take some time then I would be patient. But the response from Nissan itself to us has been that its just the way the CVT works. According to the tachometer the transmission is approximately in an equivalent gear ratio to my pickups 3rd gear at 15mph. The RPM will go up significantly if I press on the gas.
I think it's getting to the point that you need to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, anything safety related on a new vehicle should be sent their way to get the car maker to do something. It will be the kick-in-the-ass needed to get them to stop ignoring the issue

Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
issa, I already did, but even then it takes many complaints before the NTSB will even look at something, its just the way things work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So far in 2 months our Pathfinder has failed a basic safety test (wont downshift in low at low speeds), cracked a valve cover and dumped a bunch of oil all over the place, now my wife tells me it nearly stalled in an intersection (judder). I guess the only thing left for it to do to us is blow the transmission coolant line off and destroy the transmission.:(
Tough luck. Sounds like a lemon. What's the amount of time a buyer has to be able to return back to the manufacturer. I've never owned a lemon before. Not sure about the process.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
issa, I already did, but even then it takes many complaints before the NTSB will even look at something, its just the way things work.
crazy how that works, but making a thread on it on a forum like this is a good start as others with the problem will mention it here.

you should suggest Nissan does a buy back of your PF

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the stack of documentation that came with the Pathfinder we picked up this past Sunday, I believe there was a whole separate book addressing Lemon Laws and similar, state by state. I haven't gotten to that one yet, I don't want to jinx things.

Ken B., any chance you got one of these too? If you need the verbiage, PM me your state, when I get a chance this evening I can send you what I can find in that book.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

-- Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts