Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience this?...

Whenever I have my parking brake engaged and get into or out of the car (i.e. the suspension compresses/decompresses) I get a squeak out of the rear, driver's side of the car. Of course, the dealer can't replicate it.

If I FULLY push the parking break down so it's good and tight, it's not present as often. I'm wondering if this is just a quick cable adjustment or perhaps something wrong with the parking brake itself. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
In one of my older vehicles i had this issue and it was just a matter of tightening the cable.

I think any good mechanic should be able to tell you what could be the problem. You should also try going to a different Nissan dealer, just to see what they say or even what they might do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen this a few times in other models that use the drum style parking brake setup. It is often associated with a dry backing plate, but that is typically on older vehicles.

In some cases it can be considered normal. There are several springs that have tension applied to them as the shoes expand to lock the rotor in place.

The best advice I can give you is to figure out how to show it to the dealer (make note of weather conditions and whether the car has to be hot and any other relevant details that may increase their ability to hear and more importantly find the root cause of the noise), then do not take possession of the vehicle until you have verified that it is quiet.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Does this happen when you are on a slant or on flat ground?

Because usually if I park on a hill and I pull the parking brake and get out of the car it does squeak.

it's just the car moving back a little bit. Probably because I didn't pull the parking brake hard enough. It is possible to tighten the parking brake so it engages with less clicks.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does this happen when you are on a slant or on flat ground?

Because usually if I park on a hill and I pull the parking brake and get out of the car it does squeak.

it's just the car moving back a little bit. Probably because I didn't pull the parking brake hard enough. It is possible to tighten the parking brake so it engages with less clicks.
It happens any time I park and set the brake, regardless of grade. It's most noticeable in my garage, where the sound bounces off the walls.

I think it just needs an adjustment. I've been through the service manual on this and if I don't get the dealer to do it, might just do it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts