Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Cayanne Red PF13 and I have noticed the paint layering on this car is really weak.
I have one spot where the paint came off (perhaps due to a scratch) and I see the white backing. I was wondering what the best way to deal with it would be. Can the dealer fix it? Or I need to take to body shop? Would warranty cover this?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
since your car is still brand new you should take it back to the dealer to see if that's covered, if not, you'll have to oay out of your own pocket to have it fixed.

is their any metal exposed?

·
Registered
440 Posts
since your car is still brand new you should take it back to the dealer to see if that's covered, if not, you'll have to oay out of your own pocket to have it fixed.

is their any metal exposed?
One side suggestion: Manufacturers make their own touch up paint, but they don't keep it around for ever. If you want touch up paint from Nissan to match you 2013, better buy it sooner than later, as it may not be around. I keep my touch up paint in the refrigerator door, and one tube of it for a 1999 model is still liquid and good to use.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's likely not covered. The scratch was probably caused by you or someone else and not the dealership or manufacturer.

Nissan does not use very great quality paint nor thick layers of paint. That's just part of buying a Nissan.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
If you were one of the suckers who bought the Simoniz coating protection at purchase, make sure that won't cover it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's likely not covered. The scratch was probably caused by you or someone else and not the dealership or manufacturer.

Nissan does not use very great quality paint nor thick layers of paint. That's just part of buying a Nissan.
Exactly, only so much you can expect when buying a car like this. It's true, you get what you pay for.

Even the 2013 Civic we have has some imperfections. Where the bottom of the tail light meets the bumper you can see some paint missing. Dealer said it's suppose to be like that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the metal isn't showing it should be pretty easy to buff out the scratch. Have you taken it to the dealer or a mechanic? I don't think your warranty is going to cover it unless it is a fault of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'd try to polish it out.

Head to your parts store and buy some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Rub it in to the scratch with a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this color is defective. I just bought the same one and am working on possibly returning it. The paint feels like crap and I have had other Nissan's without these issues. I currently have an 08 Titan in silver and it's in great shape.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think this color is defective. I just bought the same one and am working on possibly returning it. The paint feels like crap and I have had other Nissan's without these issues. I currently have an 08 Titan in silver and it's in great shape.

That is quite possible best thing to do is look at others and see what condition they are in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have a black 2014 PF and previously owned a 2006 black Accord... Honda's paint seems to be way superior to Nissan's! my 3 year old son's bare hands seem to be able to scratch through my PF's paint...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have a black 2014 PF and previously owned a 2006 black Accord... Honda's paint seems to be way superior to Nissan's! my 3 year old son's bare hands seem to be able to scratch through my PF's paint...
I bet if you go to some automotive detailing forum or even to a detailer they can tell you exactly the differences between them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looking at the other cars I now own, my 2013 Pathfinder's Arctic Blue paint job doesn't seem as "reflective" or glossy. It seems to have a duller shine, most noticeable on the side panels. Its as if a glossy clear coat was never applied. I notice this on other Pathfinders as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking at the other cars I now own, my 2013 Pathfinder's Arctic Blue paint job doesn't seem as "reflective" or glossy. It seems to have a duller shine, most noticeable on the side panels. Its as if a glossy clear coat was never applied. I notice this on other Pathfinders as well.

I'll let you know when I get the new one in a couple days.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll let you know when I get the new one in a couple days.
Even the new Pathfinders I've seen, seem to have that "dull" paint look, especially noticeable on the sides.
It's more noticeable in some colors than in others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got the new, new one. My original was replaced b the dealer. Amazing what an email to Nissan North America board of directors will get you.

This one is in great shape. Swirl marks on the hood but nothing bad. They gave it a good buffing prior to delivery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts