Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should be the life expectancy of a 2017SL CVT transmission? I'm at 82k miles. I purchased it used from the dealership in October at 68k. Didn't think we'd need it this early on, so we skipped the extended warranty. Lesson learned.
The day after Hurricane Elsa rolled through (no flooding, just rain) we went to move a trailer with the vehicle. Pressed the gas and it didn't move. The engine revved, but the wheels didn't turn. After several seconds of revving the engine, it shifted into gear and moved. Happens in reverse and drive. Once the car is going it's fine.
Took it to our regular shop to get the fatal code. They sent us to the dealership because it's a CVT transmission. The quoted is $5200 for parts, labor, and taxes. We have a claim with corporate and praying for a goodwill offer. Any advice is welcome.
Not only do I need the vehicle for a 12 hour drive with my kids at the end of the week, but I need hay and feed for the animals. There's a reason I upgraded from the Camry! But this doesn't feel like an upgrade. After 5 weeks of ownership I also had to replace the cooling fan. They don't make cars like they used to.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
Not sure why they want to replace the transmission, this is what comes up for that code:

Your transmission not engaging but working fine once it does aligns with what is stated above.
@Tutti57 , thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,010 Posts
P2813 Pressure Control Solenoid G Control Circuit Range/Performance

How long any transmission can last depends on too many factors. You bought a ~5yr/old vehicle beyond it's power-train warranty so it's anyone's guess. I do feel for you. I'd be sick about it.

I've not seen anyone report this code for a 2017+ I wouldn't suspect the worst right out of the gate given you say the transmission does do it's thing normally once it's up and going. Did a wiring connector get wet? Wire chewed by a rodent? This needs to be troubleshot properly. Unfortunately most shops aren't equipped to do so and just want to swap the whole CVT.

If you price a new CVT online through Nissan, the prices aren't that bad. Probably $2500 or less. The rest is ~$120/hr labor and incidentals.

I would trade it in when it's running good and be done with it. No way I'd put $6000 out of pocket into any 5yr/old Nissan product.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts