Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, I have owned my 2014 platinum 4wd pf for a few months and yesterday it threw this code. It only has 78k miles and although it's possible the catalytic converter is bad, I am betting on an o2 sensor. Tomorrow I will jack it up and check the wires running to and from the sensors and check the exhaust for leaks. I dont have a thermal gun to check temps. I will continue to research things, but it would seem the sensors can vary greatly in price, from $50 up to $250. Is ntk ok? It looks like 4 sensors? Both banks are cheaper for sensor 1 then 2. It looks like around $50 for 1 and $114 or 2. EACH.

Anything else I am missing or should be looking at? Btw I am not sure this is related and I may work on it simultaneously, but i discover the front motor mount needs to be replaced. Seems a bit early for a motor mount. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It does seem unlikely the bank one catalytic converter is not doing it's thing given the low age/mileage.

A few things can contribute to this code as you mentioned, but if the sensor itself has an issue, it can also set a code for that.

If there's no exhaust leaks, and the bank one cat is getting hotter on the outlet than the inlet (get a cheap IR gun) i'd try a throttle body/intake cleaning just for grins first. I'd then try a spacer or antifouler in that sensor bung.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen those videos with the spark plug spacer. It's not that I am above shortcuts, but if there is a problem that just bypasses the emission. I drove a mustang with no cats and straight pipes, so I am not that kind of person, I would prefer to see if there is a problem first. I will know more today when I look under. Ty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No leaks, as far as I can tell. I put a fuel cleaner in, not sure that will do anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This may take troubleshooting from a more high tech scanner. One that will graph real time data from the O2 sensors.

The only other thing I can think of with the catalyst inefficiency codes are, they can take quite a while to set the code and a bunch of driving to clear themselves. Totally sucks though. I know where I live with mandatory yearly safety and emissions testing, the car wouldn't pass with a P0420 code present and I believe they can only install OEM replacement catalytic converter assemblies. Only DIYers can install aftermarkets.

·
Registered
126 Posts
New to this forum, I have owned my 2014 platinum 4wd pf for a few months and yesterday it threw this code. It only has 78k miles and although it's possible the catalytic converter is bad, I am betting on an o2 sensor. Tomorrow I will jack it up and check the wires running to and from the sensors and check the exhaust for leaks. I dont have a thermal gun to check temps. I will continue to research things, but it would seem the sensors can vary greatly in price, from $50 up to $250. Is ntk ok? It looks like 4 sensors? Both banks are cheaper for sensor 1 then 2. It looks like around $50 for 1 and $114 or 2. EACH.

Anything else I am missing or should be looking at? Btw I am not sure this is related and I may work on it simultaneously, but i discover the front motor mount needs to be replaced. Seems a bit early for a motor mount. Thanks in advance.
Is the motor mount leaking? Pictures?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are one lucky guy. I think. The warranty on the catalytics goes to 80,000 miles. Go get new ones. Quick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be right. I am having catalytic issues on my 2015 PFinder. The service rep told me it was 80,000 a few hours ago. I have 98,500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts