Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My 2014 was sadly totaled last weekend ( thankfully my daughter and I are fine). I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2017...thoughts? Are they still having the same transmissions problems? Mine seemed to have been fine, although they found transmission codes when they were debating whether it was going to be totaled or not. They are thinking the accident jolted the transmissions but knowing the 2014 history, I'm not sure. If there were problems that I wasn't aware of yet, I'm wondering if I dodged a bullet with mine at 71K.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the 2017 has a new transmission/engine/suspension and more standard features than previous years.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,482 Posts
Hey, we haven't heard from you in quite a while! Sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, the 2017 Pathfinder appears to have avoided the CVT problems of the earlier ones so far.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have a 2017 and am seeing numerous issues with it. this particular vehicle was built in 2016, not 2017 (and i'm thinking this is why i'm seeing issues aka it's got that crap engine that was the reason for the class action).

i purchased it new with 31 miles on it so no things like a previous owner did something wrong & damaged the engine...i'm seeing all this right off the git-go.

if the one you are considering was built well into the year 2017, then maybe. otherwise go with the 2018 if you want to stay with the pf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2017 SL that was built in Feb of 2017 that I have been trouble free with since March of last year. My only gripes if you want to call them that, is that I came from 21 years of driving manual transmission vehicles and that the engine oil gets dark really fast and kinda smells like gas or really used oil (like after about the first 600 miles). Hasn't been a big deal, I just plan to change the oil more often as its direct injection now and I do a lot of 3-5 mile short trips.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a 2017 and am seeing numerous issues with it. this particular vehicle was built in 2016, not 2017 (and i'm thinking this is why i'm seeing issues aka it's got that crap engine that was the reason for the class action).

i purchased it new with 31 miles on it so no things like a previous owner did something wrong & damaged the engine...i'm seeing all this right off the git-go.

if the one you are considering was built well into the year 2017, then maybe. otherwise go with the 2018 if you want to stay with the pf.
the law suit was for the CVT transmissions in the '13-14 model year. A 2017 Pathy will have the new DI 3.5L engine and updated CVT. I have a 2016 with 12k and so far it's been 100% trouble free.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,622 Posts
My issue is how Nissan managed and responded to the multiple issues with the 2013-2015 CVT's. Corporate never acknowledged they had an issue and only extended the warranty of a small portion after a class action lawsuit.
Because of that, this is and will be my last Nissan. How will they treat you next time there is another common issue?

My vehicle has been trouble free for a while now (knock on wood) but the process to fix the issues and the amount of issues it had, were painful. Nissan declined extending my warranty although I spent the first 40k km continuously going to the dealership to fix stuff.
So, if I were you I'd be looking at other brands.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the law suit was for the CVT transmissions in the '13-14 model year. A 2017 Pathy will have the new DI 3.5L engine and updated CVT. I have a 2016 with 12k and so far it's been 100% trouble free.

i thought it was up to/including the 2016 model year.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i thought it was up to/including the 2016 model year.
Nope, haven't seen any 2016s evening reported with CVT issues on here either. Mine is smooth as butter and responds well to throttle inputs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have an early 2017 Platinum. At around 3,000 miles, there was a slight shudder in the transmission...happened twice in a row at low speed and was pretty mild. A little while later I brought the car in for its first scheduled maintenance and raised the issue with the dealer. They acted surprised that there would be a CVT shudder issue with a 2017. But sure enough they ran the codes and the "CVT Shudder" code was there. They replaced the valve body and the problem seems to have been fixed. We're at 10,000 miles now. Otherwise, the car has been perfect.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,482 Posts
Thanks for that report!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i'm sorry you experienced the shudder issue, i'm glad your dealership dealt with it appropriately.

i've already seen some weird stuff...it has 1,300 miles on it now...if mine develops an issue, i hope the dealership does things right...

2apathfinder - i said i thought the lawsuit included up to the 2016's, not that people here were reporting issues with 2016's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have just over 27k miles on our '17. The CVT can act a little weird in really cold weather for the first few minutes, but I'm not going to hold that against it, most vehicles don't act perfect below 0F.

Other than that, i just don't like how the HVAC works, the entire design of it. I really dislike its operation. The rest of the vehicle has pretty much been perfect though. No unscheduled trips into the dealer so far.

I think for what we paid for it, and considering the price of its competitors, I'd still buy it a second time.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Our Mitsubishi, which ironically has the same Jatco-brand CVT performs flawlessly in -40C. And yet the PF's can't. Go figure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. My 2014 was sadly totaled last weekend ( thankfully my daughter and I are fine). I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2017...thoughts? Are they still having the same transmissions problems? Mine seemed to have been fine, although they found transmission codes when they were debating whether it was going to be totaled or not. They are thinking the accident jolted the transmissions but knowing the 2014 history, I'm not sure. If there were problems that I wasn't aware of yet, I'm wondering if I dodged a bullet with mine at 71K.
Sold our 2015 Subaru Outback and purchased a new 2017 with Platinum trim level in early 2017. Hated the Outback for a variety of reasons. The PF has been perfect so far. We really like the vehicle, especially considering that we often have car seats for three small children. I do recommend that anyone who is thinking about buying a new PF negotiate with the dealer to put different tires on the vehicle before you take ownership. I put new Michelin tires on our PF and the ride is smooth as butter and extremely quiet. Very different than the original factory tires!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Everyone. Thanks for your feedback. I did end up purchasing a 2017. So far I love it and it helps to know how safe it is after the accident with my 14.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congrats. I have 18,000 on my 2017 and I have the same hesitation mentioned when it's cold, and it's just the first trip up to about 40mph. It's almost like you just have to push the pedal down harder to get past it. Once you are past it, you don't feel it again unless you let it get really cold again. I haven't bothered to bring it in for that. Other than that, I'm really happy with mine. I'm not thrilled with the clothe seats though, they seem to be getting pilly and wearing under the drivers thigh area. I must be rubbing just right or something, but wouldn't expect wear at 18,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts