Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4WD 3.5L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new Nissan owner and new to Nissans. I just purchased a 2020 Pathfinder with 12k miles on it. Is there a way to see what "life" is let on your oil before i need and oil change? I went into the maintenance setting and i see a screen that wants me to put in mileage for alerts. Has it not been setup yet? Do i just trust that from the factory it is defaulted to a certain mileage and will just let me know when i need an oil change? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,581 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Since you bought this vehicle used, you have no way of knowing when the last oil change was, so I'd assume it wasn't done recently and go ahead and change it with a new oil filter. Most of us change the oil anywhere between 3000 and 7500 miles. Nothing is set up at the factory. You set that setting yourself based on your preferences.

Reactions: JB in Portlandia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. Since you bought this vehicle used, you have no way of knowing when the last oil change was, so I'd assume it wasn't done recently and go ahead and change it with a new oil filter. Most of us change the oil anywhere between 3000 and 7500 miles. Nothing is set up at the factory. You set that setting yourself based on your preferences.
Thanks for the reply! So just get a fresh oil change and then set those numbers to say 6000 or so and then I wont have to worry about it being "set" again? Other than the rest after an oil change. Which my mechanic would do.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
876 Posts
You can set the maintenance intervals to what ever mileage and time you want with the display controls IIRC. All they do is count down. I have a 2019 SV 4x4 model. Given how these 2017+ direct injected VQ35DD engines turn oil black quickly and the 5-6 threads we have here with severe sludging, I would not go past 4-5K miles between oil changes. The owner's manual says 5000mi. I do mine between 3-4K miles. I bought mine with 24K miles on it as an ex-rental. Currently at 44500. Just did my 4th CVT fluid drain/fill today as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can set the maintenance intervals to what ever mileage and time you want with the display controls IIRC. All they do is count down. I have a 2019 SV 4x4 model. Given how these 2017+ direct injected VQ35DD engines turn oil black quickly and the 5-6 threads we have here with severe sludging, I would not go past 4-5K miles between oil changes. The owner's manual says 5000mi. I do mine between 3-4K miles. I bought mine with 24K miles on it as an ex-rental. Currently at 44500. Just did my 4th CVT fluid drain/fill today as a matter of fact.
Right now that menu in the settings shows " ____" like it's not even set.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You can essentially turn it off if you don't want to use the maintenance minders. Sounds like yours is turned off by not selecting a mileage interval. Like I say, they're just simple counters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can essentially turn it off if you don't want to use the maintenance minders. Sounds like yours is turned off by not selecting a mileage interval. Like I say, they're just simple counters.
Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I saw that feature on my wife's 2017 I thought that would be cool. I set it and thought it would pop up with a reminder. No reminder or anything so I just ignore it. I keep a spreadsheet for all my vehicles and equipment maintenance so I just continue to use that. The window sticker is a better reminder it seems than the OEM thingy in our Pathy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I saw that feature on my wife's 2017 I thought that would be cool. I set it and thought it would pop up with a reminder. No reminder or anything so I just ignore it. I keep a spreadsheet for all my vehicles and equipment maintenance so I just continue to use that. The window sticker is a better reminder it seems than the OEM thingy in our Pathy.
Thanks for the input! Yes, my mechanic always puts a windshield sticker on. Most of my previous vehicles always had a "oil life remaining" percentage graph or bar, was not sure if this vehicle had the same and I was just not seeing it anywhere. I called the dealership this morning and it seems to be that because it's showing the lines it's never officially been set up for a maintenance minder. so seeing that I don't know when the last oil change was once my registration comes in and it gets inspected I'll have my mechanic do a fresh oil change on it and then I will set that mileage appropriately. We shall see what happens!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,581 Posts
When I saw that feature on my wife's 2017 I thought that would be cool. I set it and thought it would pop up with a reminder. No reminder or anything so I just ignore it.
It should have. It displays on the center screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have to set it to remind you.
Yes,I was not sure if that was something else on top of a factory preset. I am coming from a Honda world where it's automatically tells me to change my oil every x amount of miles and had a "oil life remaining" meter. Nothing needed to be setup lol. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2019 Pathfinder S
22 Posts
Try the Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 oil and Wix #51358 filter, adding a magnetic drain plug as well. The oil meets Nissan specs for this model year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regardless of make or model, write it down. I cleaned off my battery posts the other day, and my reminders were wiped out. I don't really care, as I don't really trust oil life meters. Mileage keepers are ok, but still...writing it down always wins.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Is that with full synthetic?
LOL (assuming that was humor)

The 5000mi oil change interval for the Pathfinder would be based on synthetic 0w20. At least for 2017+ PFs. You can't get a non-synthetic 0w20.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts