Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new 2017 SL with Motion Activated Liftgate - without a hitch. My plan was to buy and install it later. No problem right?

Well after going through the hitch installation manual I read - DO NOT INSTALL on car with Motion Activated Liftgate. Which I have. So I called the dealer and they were puzzled. They basically said they have no idea.

Now if I look under a bumper I see the motion activated device (long thick wire). I can see how a hitch can interfere with it. So 2 questions:

1. How is the factory hitch installed on Platinum Version with motion detection in place? Can someone take pictures maybe so I can see it.
2. Does anyone know if Nissan is planning on doing anything with this? Maybe some insiders here? I'd hate to buy another car or install non branded hitch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bova.

My sensor cable is right on the inside of the bumper. I would image they squeezed it in between the hitch and bumper (blue line) or moved it somewhere else all together. Maybe closer to the back of the car. Any chance you can peak in there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2017 SL with tow and the automatic door open thingy. I took a couple of shots. Hopefully they help. If you need more let me know.

Thanks.....

Attachments

Reactions: arriola6000

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch. I will look under mine and compare but from what i see now. One should be able to do this install without breaking this liftgate detector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you going to install a factory hitch by cutting out the bumper or an aftermarket hitch that goes under the bumper? I just put on an aftermarket one and wow was it easy. 20 min. All the bolt holes are there, put it up, bolt it in. The wiring was easy too. I think it was a total of about $200 but I bought a new ball and receiver too. The hitch and wiring were about $160. Compared to the factory setup, it wasn't worth the price difference to me, but not sure how you would work the tailgate option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm going to try OEM. My only worry is damaging this lifgate sensor so I started this thread. Still gathering info on this. I may wait until Nissan officially supports this. I'm in no hurry to set this up. Any Nissan techs out here?

I have installed plenty of after market hitches on other cars.I'm sure it will be easy on this one. Also it would save $250 (af the OEM is about $400)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,533 Posts
Are you going to install a factory hitch by cutting out the bumper or an aftermarket hitch that goes under the bumper? I just put on an aftermarket one and wow was it easy.

Would you share a pic of your installation with us?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought my stuff from etrailer as well. The only difference was I mounted the 7 way connector under the bumper because attaching it to the hitch really seemed low and could catch on something. I have a 7 way to 4 way adapter that has a short pigtail so the distance hopefully won't be a problem for me. I also bought a rise hitch adapter to get it back up to the factory height. Using the rise decreased the tongue weight to 600lbs and tow rate to 6000lbs, but I don't think our PF is rated for more than that anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
These are the parts that I ordered from etrailer.

76031 Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
1 $106.95
63845 2" Hitch Ball - 1" Diameter x 2-1/8" Long Shank - Chrome - 7,500 lbs
1 $8.49
PC3 Pin and Clip For Class III, IV and V Trailer Hitch Receiver
1 $5.79
80240 Hidden Hitch Ball Mount - 4-3/4" Rise, 6" Drop - 10-1/4" Long - 6,000 lbs
1 $21.79
118273 T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness for Factory Tow Package - 7-Way Trailer Connector
1 $59.95
PK12711U Mounting Bracket and Installation Hardware - Pollak 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Vehicle End
1 $4.37

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think i now know where my problem lies. I have the SL model in Canada, which comes from the factory with the tow kit installed. I have a real hard time activating the liftgate, and i look like a fool dancing behind my car :-s

I will take a look to see if i can find this sensor, but like someone mentioned, it may be between the bumper and the hitch, making it harder to sense the foot movement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Techsupport posted GREAT pics with the sensor. Thick black wire on the bottom of the bumper. The only difference with OEM hitch is another layer of plastic - the hitch finisher. Dmoney this should not be a problem with factory installs. Or I don't think it is.

Techsupport do you have any issues with auto lift gate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I currnently don't have any issues with the auto lift gate. On occasion it will not open but I'm sure that's due to me doing the kicking process to quickly or not lining up correctly. When I go back for the second try with more precision it always opens. Heck now most of the time since I have gotten more practice it opens on the first time. But it's still more of a novelty. I rarely find myself with a handfull of items needing the tailgate opened without pushing the button. But on the other hand it looks way cooler to open your liftgate with your foot then to press the button on the key fob or the door.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally found some time to deal with this. After calling Nissan Tech Department I decided to go with e_trailer hitch. Nissan had no answers and I didn't wanted to spend $500 on parts that may break something. E-Trailer hitch and wiring were $160 total and I installed it in 2hrs. Problem solved.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Isn't the trailer hitch standard on the SL? Mine was... didn't get any options to add it.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,533 Posts
Isn't the trailer hitch standard on the SL? Mine was... didn't get any options to add it.
Only if you have the Tech or Premium package.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts