Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for an OBDII Scanner. Primarily it is to identify the current problem I have (flashing Air Bag Light - 2013 Pf SL) identify the code and then clear that code.

In addition if the OBDII Scanner can reprogram new keys and / or Test Battery and Charging system then that would be fantastic!

For now, my budget is no more than $400 US (although I will welcome suggestions up to $500 and I will then negotiate with my Nearest and Dearest:cool:)

So, what would you suggest / recommend?

Perhaps something like THIS or This

I know zero about OBD Scanners so I really do need some guidance.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,370 Posts
I was suggesting something like this :ROFLMAO: .
I got that one to work with the CVT350 app and read transmission temps but it is more to scan/read codes and not to reprogram stuff. Not sure if an airbag code will show up on it.
@Tutti57 might be able to tell you if the ones you are looking at offer any advantage (for this application) from one of the cheap ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was suggesting something like this :ROFLMAO: .
I got that one to work with the CVT350 app and read transmission temps but it is more to scan/read codes and not to reprogram stuff. Not sure if an airbag code will show up on it.
@Tutti57 might be able to tell you if the ones you are looking at offer any advantage (for this application) from one of the cheap ones.
Thanks for the info.

Looking at the BAFX Products website it seems this product does not read ABS or SRS

EASY FIXES FOR LESS - Using our code reader you can read & clear your check engine light fault codes with your Android phone (does not read ABS/SRS). Check your emissions system readiness, know if you will pass emissions /smog tests before you go!

but for $21 is gotta be worth having in the tool box!

·
Registered
582 Posts
For the price, I don't think the incardr pro app with a cheap Bluetooth dongle can be beat. About $15 total and it scans all of the modules on the car. I was skeptical of the accuracy of this, but I've compared it to the results of my professional tool and the codes are the same. You don't get live data on anything b so see es the ecm, but that's ok for this price point.

I'd look at the offerings from Launch, Autel, and the newest budget player Thinktool. Those three are known to be quality items with good interface and support and all levels I'd check out their pages and see which one has the features you want. Used is also an option, but like all tech, these can start to feel outdated quickly.

You aren't going to get something that can program keys at that price point, but you can get something for that much that will communicate with all modules to read live data. The next step up in price would be to add bidirectional controls and programming. Those usually start around $700.

Either way, everyone should have a cheap Bluetooth dongle and app to have quick and easy access when needed. There's really no point in posting drivability related questions without have some data, which these can provide.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the price, I don't think the incardr pro app with a cheap Bluetooth dongle can be beat. About $15 total and it scans all of the modules on the car. I was skeptical of the accuracy of this, but I've compared it to the results of my professional tool and the codes are the same. You don't get live data on anything b so see es the ecm, but that's ok for this price point.

I'd look at the offerings from Launch, Autel, and the newest budget player Thinktool. Those three are known to be quality items with good interface and support and all levels I'd check out their pages and see which one has the features you want. Used is also an option, but like all tech, these can start to feel outdated quickly.

You aren't going to get something that can program keys at that price point, but you can get something for that much that will communicate with all modules to read live data. The next step up in price would be to add bidirectional controls and programming. Those usually start around $700.

Either way, everyone should have a cheap Bluetooth dongle and app to have quick and easy access when needed. There's really no point in posting drivability related questions without have some data, which these can provide.
Thank you for your guidance and obvious knowledge.

When you say "Dongle" I presume you mean a plug in Scanner "head" like the Veepeak which reads the airbag system?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "dongle" is the Bluetooth "thingy" you plug into the OBDII reader.
This:
View attachment 17068
Thanks.

I thought that was the case. Just wanted to make sure......different country different language🤦‍♂️

I think the Veepeak OBDCHECK will suit my needs for now and should do the trick.

Thank you for all your help and guidance. Appreciated🙂

·
Registered
582 Posts
No problem! The one I have is a veepeak. . I've probably bought 5 of these things because I leave them in the cars by accident. Maybe tape a string to it or something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No problem! The one I have is a veepeak. . I've probably bought 5 of these things because I leave them in the cars by accident. Maybe tape a string to it or something.

Apologies for the lengthy post however I felt showing the images may assist any responses.

I received my Veepeak today. Downloaded Incardoc(Free) however it seemed rather complicated so deleted it and loaded ELM OBDII. This appears to be more newbie friendly.

Gadget Font Communication Device Clock Technology

I Paired my Samsung Tablet to Veepeak, opened ELM

Green Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot
Rectangle Azure Font Line Screenshot

which has a "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" button on its Dashboard and I selected that option.

I was then given a screen full of Modules. I unticked all of them except SRS/Airbag.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

Ran the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" and as shown in the below pic, I got 1 Hit.

Personal computer Font Gadget Computer Communication Device

Selecting the Option to check the Internet I got this

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

which tells me something about a Satellite Right Harness (Passenger Side?). What does that mean and what do I do next??

Sometimes a guy can have just too much information!!

Tools used: 1 x Samsung Tablet + 1 x Smart Phone + 1 x Scanner.

It was never like this in the old days!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

I have now opened a Thread in R52 Electrical / Electronics / Audio which refers to a NISSAN Recall document I found will searching the internet.

As the thrust of my post has moved on from Scanners to rectifying the Error Code I thought perhaps it is appropriate that a new post in a more appropriate area my be necessary. My new post is HERE

Admin, Should this be an incorrect action on my part, feel free to merge the new Thread in R52 Electrical / Electronics / Audio to this string of posts. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts