Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from Nissan Consumer Affairs. They were very proud to tell me that a brand new TSB came out on 9/10/13 that "solved" the problem. I asked her what it was for and she was actually shocked and seemingly offended that I asked. Indignantly, she told me that it would be absurd for her to sit there on the phone and read "all 20 pages" to me. I told her I just wanted to know what part or function the TSB focused on and she mumbled something about "fuel economy ... but it solves the judder problem." Then she said, it says to reprogram the CVT, then if needed replace the torque converter, then if needed replace the CVT, and then she said it goes on and on. I told her that's just a compilation of all the other "supposed" fixes for the problem and I wanted to know what was different this time. Again, she got annoyed with me because I apparently wasn't jumping for joy that they "found a fix." Anyway, she was just shocked that I wasnt happy for this phone call and I told her that I was pissed off that she was annoyed with me when I'm the one with the broken $40k car and I finally told her I'd just call the dealer and get more info. To be clear, I've been patient and friendly in every call to Nissan.

This is second time I've turned to Nissan Consumer Affairs for a problem in 20 years and I find their reps to be completely useless after a certain point. 14 years ago, my brand new 99 Pathfinder had a major problem and the rep not only wouldn't help me, when I asked for a manager, she told me that she was the only and last person at Nissan that would speak to me about my problem. Do these people even work for Nissan? When I asked for the extended power train warranty on this PathFinder, the rep said "I'll check with Nissan." What does that mean? Is she Nissan or is this some outsourced middle man who has no stake in the game. MADDENING.

Anyway, if anyone can get a copy of NTB13086, please post it. It's not on Nissan Publications website yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reactions: barbmoore2

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the fix for the pathfinder is fake oreo cookies

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please post any further info or links asap (when available), as I'm bringing in my PF for regular service next week, and will ask to discuss the brake member recall and a number of the NTBs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That service bulletin came out 9 days ago and still nothing about it can be found online.
Anyone have an update on this next supposed fix ?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Oreo's in the CVT would make sense, it probably helps the transmission fluid to achieve a thickness it needs to be to function properly :D
Problem solved for thin oil!

·
Registered
151 Posts
That service bulletin came out 9 days ago and still nothing about it can be found online.
Anyone have an update on this next supposed fix ?
So here's what I'm getting from the dealership as of today. An engineer came by to give them a "tutorial" of sorts on the shudder and types of shudder. They were told that this tsb involves the customer driving with a tech, who will have a consult III system hooked up to the vehicle. When the vehicle shudders, the tech starts recording (it records 10 secs prior to them hitting record and 10 secs after). Based on the read-out of the computer, Nissan will determine if the shudder falls under what they call normal or A) the torque converter is replaced with the latest design., B) the valve body, and parts associated with fluid pressure, is replaced. or C) the entire CVT is replaced with a redesigned version. Nissan is telling dealerships that they will not authorize any repair without the customer first performing the drive with a tech and getting some data to send them. They require a minimum of 20-30 minutes of driving.

Now, here's the kicker! The engineer told them that this vehicle will NEVER be shudder-free, that there will always be some shudder and that minor shudders are considered normal operation of this latest gen CVT. Our service adviser even said that it was pretty much stamped in black and white on one of the pages of the tsb that there is no way to eliminate 100% of the shudder.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Nissan has lost a loyal customer and will soon be buying this P.O.S back. Honestly have no clue what I would get next but no way in he!! will it have a CVT.

·
Registered
440 Posts
So here's what I'm getting from the dealership as of today. An engineer came by to give them a "tutorial" of sorts on the shudder and types of shudder. They were told that this tsb involves the customer driving with a tech, who will have a consult III system hooked up to the vehicle. When the vehicle shudders, the tech starts recording (it records 10 secs prior to them hitting record and 10 secs after). Based on the read-out of the computer, Nissan will determine if the shudder falls under what they call normal or A) the torque converter is replaced with the latest design., B) the valve body, and parts associated with fluid pressure, is replaced. or C) the entire CVT is replaced with a redesigned version. Nissan is telling dealerships that they will not authorize any repair without the customer first performing the drive with a tech and getting some data to send them. They require a minimum of 20-30 minutes of driving.

Now, here's the kicker! The engineer told them that this vehicle will NEVER be shudder-free, that there will always be some shudder and that minor shudders are considered normal operation of this latest gen CVT. Our service adviser even said that it was pretty much stamped in black and white on one of the pages of the tsb that there is no way to eliminate 100% of the shudder.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Nissan has lost a loyal customer and will soon be buying this P.O.S back. Honestly have no clue what I would get next but no way in he!! will it have a CVT.
Hmmm.....I wonder why they are delaying posting this TSB on the website......**** of a statement to bring up in arbitration or a court of law, or the national news media......

·
Registered
212 Posts
Now, here's the kicker! The engineer told them that this vehicle will NEVER be shudder-free, that there will always be some shudder and that minor shudders are considered normal operation of this latest gen CVT. Our service adviser even said that it was pretty much stamped in black and white on one of the pages of the tsb that there is no way to eliminate 100% of the shudder..
I'm sorry, but a CVT with shuddering, is NOT normal.
If shuddering is considered a normal operational part of this CVT, then it was poorly designed begin with. Nissan will have a public relations nightmare if this turns out to be true, as more drivers report in with shuddering.
As I stated in another thread, I had a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid for 8 years (bought it in August of 2005) and it had a CVT transmission. In all that time and 65,300 miles, I NEVER had one single shudder.
I have to admit, my Pathfinder has behaved itself so far with only 2 minor shudders in 1500 miles. I can live with these shudders if need be as they only last less than a second and don't affect performance. After spending almost $40,000, I shouldn't have to deal with something like this...however, I still love this vehicle. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should see what sorts of problems Mercedes and BMW owners deal after paying way more for their cars than a pathfinder costs (I am talking large SUVs like GL). Nissan is a saint in comparison.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm sorry, but a CVT with shuddering, is NOT normal.
Ask them to show where shuddering is an acknowledged feature in the Owner's Manual, Factory Service Manual, printed or electronic media advertising, such that the buyer would know and acknowledge this "feature" prior to purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ask them to show where shuddering is an acknowledged feature in the Owner's Manual, Factory Service Manual, printed or electronic media advertising, such that the buyer would know and acknowledge this "feature" prior to purchase.

+1

I'm starting to think I should have bought the new Grand Cherokee instead - at least I "expect" having issues with a Chrysler/Jeep vehicle and not a Nissan.

Oh, shuddering normal? I've had an '06 Altima, '10 Maxima and my wife's '11 Subaru Outback - ALL have CVTs and NONE had any shudders.

If they cannot fix this issue, it would put an end to Nissan's credibility with CVTs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes the shudder is NOT normal for a cvt. Nissan has MANY statements for the pathfinder that say smooth shifting electronic cvt transmission.

Honestly do NOT believe they know the issue, for the fix, and are just hoping that we "disappear" and never return to call them. My lady is so rude that I honestly believe that she doesn't care, won't let me talk to any other supervisor ever.

I too have lost all faith in any Nissan product and when I finally ever do get a buyback or I trade this in i'm going with either a Toyota or Honda...

·
Registered
440 Posts
To be fair, the CVT cannot be perfectly smooth in all situations, especially in non-linear acceleration or during highway speed acceleration (i.e. passing). I think they are confusing shudder, which is not normal, with lack of perfectly smooth ratio changes, which is normal in certain situations.

Actually, coasting at around 30 MPH and then accelerating is a situation where a non-CVT would have to pick a gear to downshift to, and similarly the CVT has to pick a ratio. This won't be entirely smooth, but shouldn't result in vibration/shudder, just a decisive gear/ratio change.

·
Registered
212 Posts
To be fair, the CVT cannot be perfectly smooth in all situations, especially in non-linear acceleration or during highway speed acceleration (i.e. passing). I think they are confusing shudder, which is not normal, with lack of perfectly smooth ratio changes, which is normal in certain situations.
My 2006 Highlander Hybrid with CVT, had a smooth and hefty acceleration when it came to passing, never any shudder and very little lag.
The acceleration was very similar to my '65 Thunderbird which has a 3 speed automatic, 390 CI and 300 HP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2006 Highlander Hybrid with CVT, had a smooth and hefty acceleration when it came to passing, never any shudder and very little lag.
The acceleration was very similar to my '65 Thunderbird which has a 3 speed automatic, 390 CI and 300 HP.
As far as I know, none of the Toyota hybrids have an actual transmission that can vary gear ratios. What they have is a planetary (3-way) gear set with engine connected to one and motor to the other, plus the output shaft. The speed of the output shaft is governed of the ratio of engine speed/motor speed.

So yeah, that design will have no shifts because there is nothing to shift, unlike a Nissan CVT which actually changes physical size of input and output spools on which the belt/chain rides.

The tyota design is very clean - much cleaner than the upcoming Pathfinder Hybrid, but it requires a very unique hybrid drivetrain unlike Nissan's hybrid transmission that can be plugged-into any of their cars.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
You should see what sorts of problems Mercedes and BMW owners deal after paying way more for their cars than a pathfinder costs (I am talking large SUVs like GL). Nissan is a saint in comparison.
what kind of issues are they dealing with on the mercedes on the bmw suvs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts