Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just setting up this thread because a lot of people are talking about this in a lot of different places and I thought it would be good to track people's experience in one place.

This is the latest attempt by Nissan to correct the shuddering people are experiencing in some 13 PFs. The first was the TCM reprogramming in NTB13002.

So, the TCM reprogram actually pretty much solved my issue and I had it bad. Only had one studder since - which to me is one too many so when NTB13064 came out, I took it to the dealer and they verified my VIN qualified. But, they said they had to order parts and they are on back order.

Anyone else on backorder?

Please share your experience with this fix. I'd like to know if we are actually seeing a light at the end of the tunnel on this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What month was your PF made? My dealer claims they just heard of the fix. I have to go in so they can put me on the "list" for the new torque converter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What month was your PF made? My dealer claims they just heard of the fix. I have to go in so they can put me on the "list" for the new torque converter.
My dealer ordered the parts last week and said it would be in this week however Nissan CA just left a voicemail and it said the part doesn't have an arrival date yet so not sure what that means. Hopefully it was shipped because we move in a few weeks and I would love to get this thing fixed before driving 1500 miles hauling a 2500 lb trailer.

I've had my PF since end of Dec and it has shuddered ever since and we have almost 13K miles now. My concern is how much additional wear and tear has this done to the CVT and will they extend my warranty? I'm waiting to speak to Nissan CA about this but we have been playing phone tag for the last few days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After reading that the TSB is out I called my dealership last Wednesday (6/19). I had to take my Pathfinder in the next morning for them to "replicate and verify the problem." I was prepared for a fight if they could not replicate the problem. I don't know that they did, but after a tech drove it they told me they had ordered the new torque coverter and would call me when it came in - no issues. I'm happy they didn't give me a hassle. Now I'm wondering how long it will take to get the part. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get an ETA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The build date should be listed on the placard on the driver's door well. I, too was told they'd order the part to repair mine. I expected a fight also since I was told my "shudder" issue was just a part of the cvt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So far so good.... Had the torque convertor replaced and no issues yet ( beside the fact the dealer failed to re-align after removing the engine and trans, the steering wheel is off center ). But our first notice of the problem last time didn't start until 500 miles of ownership, so time will tell.. There was a/b 20 different pathfinders there and 10 altima's for the same thing.. I suspect eventually to be a recall, or hopefully an extension on the cvt warranty.

Yes the convertors are "limited" due to the issue and also w/ the 3.5 altima's.

Mine though was first time in for issue, and they overnighted the part and had fixed in 2 days. Mine was the first they had to do, but like I said they had alot of others for same issue. Just sad only 1300 miles and the engine and trans has done been removed, but I applaud Nissan for their great customer service!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone able to get build dates or VIN ranges per the TSB? Mine is a Sept.2012 build, but the issue hasn't surfaced in 5k miles. I did get the CVT reprogram when it first came out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone able to get build dates or VIN ranges per the TSB? Mine is a Sept.2012 build, but the issue hasn't surfaced in 5k miles. I did get the CVT reprogram when it first came out.

There is no VIN ranges, applies to all 2013 Pathfinders.. Before the "fix" was to reprogram the TCM, which was not successful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My is getting done today/tomorrow. They said two days, and mine if the first my dealer is doing so they asked if I would mind following up with them once I get it back to report of the issue went away or not.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe mine was manufactured in October 2012, possibly September. I purchased it in November 2012.

Funny, I had to do the same thing. I called them and said check my VIN and see if I qualify and he said, nope, you have to bring it in. I said I'll bring it in, but I want the part ordered so that when I come in and you see that i need the part, you don't tell me to come back when the part arrives. He said nope, Nissan won't let him do that. So, I brought the car in, he said yes, i qualify, now I'll order the part and, by the way, it's on back order. ARGH!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So so far everyone that has gotten the fix has reported no more problems?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took my Pathfinder in yesterday morning first thing (Wednesday 26 June) after being told Tuesday 25 June that my new torque converter was in. They gave me a loaner - good thing, because they called yesterday evening to say their "programming console" through which they reprogram the software was broken and out for repair, due back today. For that reason they hadn't started on my repair. They just called to say the programming console just came back repaired, so they are now starting the torque converter replacement work and "hope" to have my Pathfinder back to me at the end of the day tomorrow. We shall see . . .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same here. I keep expecting the judder to happen. The truck seems to drive quieter and more stable. By the way, my technician was told NOT to reprogram the TCM--he did anyway. He also found a bad harness to the valve body. That might be special to my vehicle, though. It took 900 miles to show up the first time so I'll wait for 1200 before declaring it "fixed". I'm glad that I have it back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Add me to the “Shudder/Judder” list

Dropped off the wife PF last Wednesday (at 2900 miles) and still have not got it back. Actually went for several issues to include, passenger side airbag randomly turning off while wife was sitting the seat, smelled coolant after PF was warmed up and of course the dreadful transmission “Shudder/Judder”.

After diagnosing, the tech did not feel the “Shudder/Judder” so they ask if the shop foreman could drive our PF home overnight with diagnostics equipment hook up to it. After allowing them to do this, they still did not feel anything odd with the transmission but the service writer stated there was a TSB out that recommended replacing the software first and if that doesn’t fix the “Shudder/Judder”, they would need to replace the torque convertor.

Later in the afternoon, I received a call from the service writer stating the tech did end up feeling the “Shudder/Judder” and loaded the new software. However, the new software made our PF drive worse.

So now I am waiting for Engineers at Nissan to write and provide a new software that will supposedly fix the problem with the last drop and per the service writer, “most likely fix the Shudder/Judder”.

I was told they did order a new torque convertor but won’t install it unless the latest version of software does not fix the “Shudder/Judder”.

I don’t have much faith with the dealer at this point and already can’t wait for the 2014 to come out.

For those of you that had the torque convertor replaced, how much work was involved with installing it? Was the transmission pulled?

Thanks for your responses.

Daniel

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have me curious about the coolant smell now, because I noticed that this weekend walking in front of the pathfinder after driving. Anything come of this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coolant Smell

I was told the tech didn’t find anything. There is definitely a hint of coolant smell after driving it. The service writer kept saying it’s probably “heat smell”. I told him it is unquestionably a coolant smell and I’m familiar with the smell since I’ve owned several fords in my life (and still do). LOL

I plan to mark the overflow tank when I get it back to see if I’m losing any coolant in addition to looking for leaks.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts