Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week after buying our PF my wife and I drove up to a local observatory to try it out on something more than the blacktop, which is something we like to do on the weekends.

The way up was flawless, plenty of power, traction, smooth and handled the hairpins with ease.

The way down was an entirely different issue, we put it in low in anticipation of the steep downgrades, but even when I would dare to let the speed climb up to 25mph the rpm needle would hardly budge unless I stepped on the gas then the RPM's would climb. We had to stop 4 times on a 7 mile road to let the brakes cool off, and one of the reasons we bought it was to tow a trailer on mountain roads.

We have taken it to two different dealerships to have it checked, and both times the official response was "operates as designed", even though the second mechanic was able to verify that the transmission did not downshift.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or had better luck?

The NISSAN customer satisfaction group keeps telling me that it is normal and that it is because of the CVT, even though my brother inlaw has an Altima with the CVT and can downshift just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
l had the same issue yesterday.
I am very disappointed about this vehicle after this

Now I agree that they destroy the name of PATHFINDER.

Simply I lost my mony in such bad vehicle.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It's a CVT. What do you expect.

The older pathfinders had an actual lo gear that would have done the trick but those pathfinders also are larger and don't have mileage like the existing pathfinders.

Nissan has decided to back away from the "off-road" aspect of the pathfinder and make it more of a urban utility vehicle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
engine braking in tow mode

Its automatically deactivated when in Low... we even tried tow mode...
Ken,
When you tried it in tow mode, did the engine attempt to do braking? I know that when I tow my boat I do get engine braking when I am stopping on a downgrade. I have not experienced a long downgrade so I can't address your conditions. If I brake on a level surface it does not engine brake. As fuel efficient as the CVT is, this tradeoff is not worth that single benefit. This may be my last CVT as those companies that use it are not explaining the downside to the tranny so we consumers can make informed decisions.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I do think that because of the investment that Nissan has made into CVT that it will be tough for them to go back to a traditional transmission without some backlash from customers. They will have to perfect the CVT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I have been able to duplicate the problem on flat roads.

Drive at 30+mph, shift into low and let off the accelerator. At about 20-25mph the RPM's will suddenly drop.

I tried Tow mode, and de-activating the overdrive, even de-activating the traction control, nothing changed how it drove.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Drive at 30+mph, shift into low and let off the accelerator. At about 20-25mph the RPM's will suddenly drop.

I tried Tow mode, and de-activating the overdrive, even de-activating the traction control, nothing changed how it drove.
Mine does that but at about 13 mph even on a steep grade. Works fine for me as the hill I deal with is only 3/8 mile long. Very little braking required.

Harvey

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem coming down a snow covered road this past weekend. I miss having 1-2-3-D on the shifter column.

2014 SL 4X4 w/ tech pkg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take it in for it, the more people complaining about a problem the more likely it will be fixed.

The problem isn't mechanical, its in the software.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The problem isn't mechanical, its in the software.
Yeah, I have to think they'll offer a programming update for the L driving mode. A programming update has essentially no cost, so the risk of paying settlement on any accidents attributed to lack of engine braking would more than justify the cost of developing a new L drive mode, at least when tow mode is engaged.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I agree with what you said. My PF13 does the same. Still useless vehicle when driving on downgrade roads.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wonder if giving it a shot of gas coming down would help engage the engine brake, give it gas to take it out of its comfort zone then as it comes back you get a downshift effect?

Not really sure just throwing out ideas...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder if giving it a shot of gas coming down would help engage the engine brake, give it gas to take it out of its comfort zone then as it comes back you get a downshift effect?

I tried that before. It didn't work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It downshifts, and accelerates, when you let off it goes back to what it was doing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, update time

Apparently the previous techs that I got to partially duplicate the problem have since left NISSAN, and didn't document things properly. I reported the problem when I brought it in for service like I have every time, and wound up getting into a heated argument with the new technician. Apparently they are still not aware that there is an actual problem.

Wound up talking with the Tech and the local customer satisfaction person. We were told to expect a call Tuesday, or Wednesday, and didn't so I will be calling them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts