Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Noise on uneven pavement on low speed

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  h1ppo 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed knocking noise while the pathfinder was on uneven pavement at very low speed. The noise seems to be coming from the back or front and appears to be suspension related.
I took it to the dealership couple of months back and they told me its a known issue and ordered a part for front strut. Called me when the part arrived. I took the PF in and they said the noise should be gone.
Couple of weeks ago, I noticed the noise again and took the car in for maintenance. They called Nissan and told me that Nissan is aware of the issue and they will let them know what to do. The dealership called me yesterday to drop my car off as the Nissan tech is coming to see it.
Has anyone else gone through this? What will the tech do? My car is currently at the dealership and I have been given a rental replacement for now. Thank you

Edit: I would note that I bought the car in March 2022 and it is approximately 7400 miles driven.

Update 4/13/2023: The dealership returned my car stating the issue is fixed. They found a body panel misaligned at the right rear door jam that was causing the noise. I don't hear the sound for now. Let's see how long it lasts.

Update #2 8/3/2023: the noise came back. This time I took the car to a different dealership as directed by Nissan customer service when I had it in the last time. The new dealership kept the car over the weekend and the Nissan tech came again. They called me and told me that Nissan is aware of the my car's history and they are going to replace the front struts. On 8/9/2023 the service person called me and told me my car is all set and won't make the noise again.

Update #3 10/15/2023: The car does not make that noise now but I do seam to hear a knock here and there while braking on uneven surface in low speed. Could it be related to the brakes?

Update #4 12/12/2023: The noise came back. It is a weird noise that seems to come only while braking on an uneven pavement going forward or backward when the car has a flex in the body. This time I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they have started a case to review my options.

See less See more
#5 ·
I noticed knocking noise while the pathfinder was on uneven pavement at very low speed. The noise seems to be coming from the back or front and appears to be suspension related.
I took it to the dealership couple of months back and they told me its a known issue and ordered a part for front strut. Called me when the part arrived. I took the PF in and they said the noise should be gone.
Couple of weeks ago, I noticed the noise again and took the car in for maintenance. They called Nissan and told me that Nissan is aware of the issue and they will let them know what to do. The dealership called me yesterday to drop my car off as the Nissan tech is coming to see it.
Has anyone else gone through this? What will the tech do? My car is currently at the dealership and I have been given a rental replacement for now. Thank you

Edit: I would note that I bought the car in March 2022 and it is approximately 7400 miles driven.

Update 4/13/2023: The dealership returned my car stating the issue is fixed. They found a body panel misaligned at the right rear door jam that was causing the noise. I don't hear the sound for now. Let's see how long it lasts.
Thanks for sharing! I suspect my 2022 model is experiencing the same issue. Did the dealer or tech offer any details on the repair? Curious how they mitigated the misaligned panel situation. Also, how long did the repair take?

#7 ·
They did not despite my asking. Only said the body panel in rear right side was misaligned and the tech from Nissan fixed it.

It took few hours. Basically they kept my car for a day so that when Nissan tech arrives the car is there. They gave me a rogue as a replacement for the day.

#8 ·
Were you able to get a response? I have never seen so much cheap stuff done in a car before this new car. I guess Nissan's quality has gone down since 1990s.
it has been in the shop for 15hrs. They have changed seat rubbers, lower control arm, and is still making the noise. I want them to take the vehicle and keep it until fixed as I live 1.5 hrs away from dealer...no response from them on this. Glad it is a lease, and I will be returning to them. I do love the handling, ride it gives but not the service given at dealer

#9 ·
Update #2 8/3/2023: the noise came back. This time I took the car to a different dealership as directed by Nissan customer service when I had it in the last time. The new dealership kept the car over the weekend and the Nissan tech came again. They called me and told me that Nissan is aware of the my car's history and they are going to replace the front struts. On 8/9/2023 the service person called me and told me my car is all set and won't make the noise again.

Update #3 10/15/2023: The car does not make that noise now but I do seam to hear a knock here and there while braking on uneven surface in low speed. Could it be related to the brakes?

Also added these updates in original post.

#10 ·

Also added these updates in original post.
I feel it could be the struts, or strut mounts. The back breaks just have been replaced, by myself, at 35,000 KMS. Would it be worth my time to try a different dealer or go straight customer service @ Nissan Canada?

#11 ·
Update #4 12/12/2023: The noise came back. It is a weird noise that seems to come only while braking on an uneven pavement going forward or backward when the car has a flex in the body. This time I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they have started a case to review my options.