Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my '13 PF last week and have been learning what it can/can't do. I read in my manual, that ONLY the rear 12v outlet is HOT all the time? I just traded in a '10 Maxima, that had 1 'key on' and one 'hot' outlet up-front...which was great for charging a phone while the car is off. I'd like to get at least 1 of the 3 front outlets to be HOT at all times so that the PF will charge my phone without the vehicle being on or the ACC switch being on.

Additonally...does the USB input also charge phones? I played with that yesterday (Samsung Galaxy S2) and couldn't get my music to play or the phone to charge....I read about some USB debugging setting to change, so I'll try that today.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The usb charges my ipod and my wife's iphone when she plugs that in. It's like the 12v outlets though, it turns off when the car is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, tested that today...it does charge, and turn off like you said. Is it difficult to wire one of the 12v outlets to be HOT all the time though? I have no desire to charge by phone in the 'trunk' of the vehicle....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry, as per the electrical diagram from the factory manual, it appears only the rear 12V outlet is always hot, and the two up front and one in the storage bin are only hot when the system is either in Accessory or Run mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks LewisT....but can that be changed without major expense..?
Cost of materials, less than $5 for wiring. Cost of labor to figure it out and physically replace the 12V source from the existing ACC/RUN circuit to the BATTERY circuit would be very time consuming, and as Einstein pointed out, time is money. There is a certain danger in jumpering the BATTERY circuit over to these three outlets in that circuits have wires sized based upon the maximum amps they expect to carry and also typically have a protective fuse to prevent from frying the wire if there is a short. I would assume the existing wire from BATTERY that goes to the 20A fuse that then goes to the rear 12V outlet is just sized for 20 amps; it may also have a 20 amp fuse between the battery and the fuse block that is not shown in the diagram. If you splice that over to feed the front 3 x 20 amp 12V outlets, you now expect the BATTERY wire to carry 80 amps (20 for the rear, 3 x 20 up front, 80 total), or 4 times the design load. Sounds like a very bad idea because it is a very bad idea, not recommended under any circumstances.

IF my Pathfinder was very old and out of warranty, and IF i really really really wanted a hot 12V outlet up front, and IF I was willing to tear the interior apart, and IF I was willing to NOT have a 12V outlet in the back, THEN you could probably cut the 12V wire that feeds the back 12V outlet somewhere up front, and then cut the existing feed to the 12V outlet up front that you wanted to have hot, and splice the back outlet feed into the front outlet. Once again, would not consider this unless the vehicle was way out of warranty and I had the factory manual with the wiring diagrams and color codes of the wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the IF's....a lot to think about. I was hoping someone has done this and it wasn't a big or difficult fix...just wiring from the outlet to the battery or something else simple.

This is frustrating as ****...not having power with the car off....stupid design IMO...but, what do i know!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for the IF's....a lot to think about. I was hoping someone has done this and it wasn't a big or difficult fix...just wiring from the outlet to the battery or something else simple.

This is frustrating as ****...not having power with the car off....stupid design IMO...but, what do i know!!!
There is another alternative (please insert all of the previous IF's from above, I don't feel like typing them again): depending upon your vehicle's options, you may have an unused 20A fuse circuit in the fuse block. On a previous car, I back fitted electric seat warmers using the sunroof circuit (the car did not have a sunroof). Once again, note that the success of this modification is directly tied to your ability to figure out where to connect things, and your willingness to potentially fry thousands of dollars of electronics in your Pathfinder if you make a mistake; therefore I will not be telling anyone HOW to do this. Just an observation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I rewired it in my car but the opposite. I made the trunk one just like the rest instead of on all the time. It can easily be made the other way too. It was a 10-15 minutes job taking my time to triple check everything. All you need is a little piece of wire and multimeter. Look at the picture I attached, the fuse box is under the driver's knee. Make sure you double check everything yourself and not follow my instruction blindly. In my car, the inside terminals are live and the outside terminals run through the fuses. The top-left 20A fuses are the front three outlets, the third one down is for the center armrest. The empty fuse slot under the four 20A fuse on the right is the trunk 12v outlet. I took the fuse out because i don't need it. I get the power from the acc 12v outlet of the center armrest. It's still run through the 20A fuse of the other outlet. The only downside is if you use both outlets at the same time then you might blow the fuse, but how often is that going to happen? You have two other outlets to use under the center console. Anyway, you just need to do the opposite of what I did. Can be easily reverse by taking the wire out and put the one fuse back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts

In Nissan's defense, a lot of modern vehicles don't power the 12V outlets unless the vehicle is running or at least in the ON position. Otherwise, some owners would leave a phone, an iPod and a GPS plugged in over the weekend, and the vehicle would be dead Monday morning......Its actually interesting that the back 12V outlet does not have this restriction, I guess for tailgating or other activities that don't require the vehicle to be running. Or perhaps they don't won't you breathing in the exhaust while using the outlet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rewired it in my car but the opposite. I made the trunk one just like the rest instead of on all the time. It can easily be made the other way too. It was a 10-15 minutes job taking my time to triple check everything. All you need is a little piece of wire and multimeter. Look at the picture I attached, the fuse box is under the driver's knee. Make sure you double check everything yourself and not follow my instruction blindly. In my car, the inside terminals are live and the outside terminals run through the fuses. The top-left 20A fuses are the front three outlets, the third one down is for the center armrest. The empty fuse slot under the four 20A fuse on the right is the trunk 12v outlet. I took the fuse out because i don't need it. I get the power from the acc 12v outlet of the center armrest. It's still run through the 20A fuse of the other outlet. The only downside is if you use both outlets at the same time then you might blow the fuse, but how often is that going to happen? You have two other outlets to use under the center console. Anyway, you just need to do the opposite of what I did. Can be easily reverse by taking the wire out and put the one fuse back in.

Very interesting....Thank you...more food for thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts