Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We'll have some preliminary reliability stats later this month. We need more owners involved to provide precise stats on the 2013, though.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Pathfinder, for free. I'll share results for the Pathfinder in this thread after each update.

TrueDelta | Enrollment

·
Registered
186 Posts
great idea, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I've been using TrueDelta for years, it's a great service and Michael has done an awesome job in building, refining and maintaining the site. I highly recommend it - it's very easy to keep it updated with your service records.

And no, I have no affiliation with the site, other than being a member.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is the first I have heard of TrueDelta. It sounds like a great service.

The two membership options sound fair.
But how hard do they come after you if you don't provide a quarterly number. I generally don't pay for online subscriptions, since I don't see myself using services that often.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
This is the first I have heard of TrueDelta. It sounds like a great service.

The two membership options sound fair.
But how hard do they come after you if you don't provide a quarterly number.
You'll get a few email reminders to update your vehicle info. That's about it.

I generally don't pay for online subscriptions, since I don't see myself using services that often.
I've never paid for it and have been a member since 2005 or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for putting a good word in, cwa.

The key thing to realize is that, unless people participate, the quality and quantity of the available information suffers. It's very much a two-way street.

We do have an initial stat for the 2013 Pathfinder and Infiniti JX (we're combining the sample so far). With a stat of 31 repair trips per 100 cars per year, they're about average so far, and pretty good for a complex model in its first year.

Nissan Pathfinder reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We may have to split the stats for the Pathfinder and JX, as I've learned that the Nissan--with a revised CVT the JX didn't get until late in the 2013 model year--has been having transmission problems.

We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2013 Pathfinder and JX: 26, low

We'll have further updates later this month and in February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

·
Registered
442 Posts
We may have to split the stats for the Pathfinder and JX, as I've learned that the Nissan--with a revised CVT the JX didn't get until late in the 2013 model year--has been having transmission problems.

We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013.

2013 Pathfinder and JX: 26, low

We'll have further updates later this month and in February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

Wow, that's truly startling information, especially in light of the recent Consumer Reports data that panned the 2013 PF, largely on the weight of the "Transmission, Minor" category. I would love to sign up for the site and provide data.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly, the rating only differs from CR's because, as noted in my previous post, we combined the PF and JX. After splitting them for the upcoming update, the PF does much worse--because of the transmission shudder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

2013 Pathfinder: 71, high, largely due to transmission shudder

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been using TrueDelta for years, it's a great service and Michael has done an awesome job in building, refining and maintaining the site. I highly recommend it - it's very easy to keep it updated with your service records.

And no, I have no affiliation with the site, other than being a member.
+1.
I need to add my PF and remove the trade-in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

2013 Pathfinder: 50, moderate

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our reliability stats for the Pathfinder now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

2013 Pathfinder: 56, high

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
440 Posts
A rather meaningless statistic without knowing sample size, distribution of problems etc.
Agreed, but assuming the sample size is large and representative of the population you can look back at 2013 consumer reports details and extrapolate.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
OK - I had three trips for recalls and three to fix that stupid leaking motor mount. That puts me three times as bad as average. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It amazes me how quickly people jump to "meaningless." It happens that both sample size and distribution info are provided on the site.

CR's information is currently 14 months behind ours, which has been updated to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014.

2014 Pathfinder: 72, high
2013 Pathfinder: 59, high

Next updates in November and in February. Want larger sample sizes? We'd love to have another participant.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stay away from NISSAN.
I know what I’m talking about.
2014 Pathfinder SUCKS!!!!
By src2006 on 01/29/14 16:44 PM (PST)
Vehicle
2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
Review
Bought a 2014 Model from Micheal Jordan Nissan in Durham, NC in Oct. 2013! Was told by sales person that the transmission "sudder" issue was fixed on the 2014's. At 1500 miles the sudder issue started happening at around 20 MPH. Took it back they said needed a new transmission. Work with Nissan corp. for 2 weeks and they would not give me a new vehicle or my money back!! Would anyone in their right mind want a brand new SUV with 1500 miles on it with the transmission already replace? DON'T THINK SO!! I'm stuck with this piece of crap because can't trade it and will lose $6000.00 on it and differently can't sell it. Nissan stinks and NEVER AGAIN will I buy another one!!! Honda or Toyota!!
Recommend (34) (3)
Report it

By pqa
on 03/08/14 14:53 PM (PST)
I work where your Pathfinder was built and can tell you that we had several trans with metal shavings encased in them from the supplier who makes the trans. I work in quality control for Nissan and understand why you would be frustrated.

By kkvakic
on 03/20/14 08:23 AM (PDT)
I'm having exact same problem!!!! They've replaced my transmission, and guess what - problem still exists. I'm actually going to owner of the Crown Nissan in Saint Petersburg and see if he can help out. Getting new Pathfinder is going to be scary - but I'm willing to try. If that does not help - i'm going to our local Channel 8 and see if they can do something about it. This is crazy! 40K vehicle and I'm stuck with transmission problem at 2K miles.

By nyrican1979
on 04/30/14 08:21 AM (PDT)
I have a 2013 Platinum, at 875 miles the transmisson went and was replaced. Then at 7,000 the new transmission did the same problem. The car has been at the dealer for 1 week already cause they cant duplicate shudder to be recorded on their computer for Nissan to approve a third tranmission to be installed. Im so embarrased and insulted to be going through this mess

By mred72
on 08/11/14 01:10 AM (PDT)
The transmissions are made by JATCO for Nissan. Nissan owns a portion of the company. As for me, I'd never buy another Nissan again or a CVT driven one for that matter. The programming has everything to do with the performance and Nissan just doesn't care because of demands from CAFE standards. Hmmm...why is it Honda and Toyota seemed to get it right the 1st time, but Nissan hasn't gotten it right since 2007? Because they don't care!

By src2006
on 08/31/14 15:00 PM (PDT)

Well guess what it's me again! My 2014 pathfinder is in the shop at Micheal Jordan Nissan again with the same issue. TRANSMISSION NEEDS REPLACING AGAIN AT 16000 miles. Already had it replaced at 1500 miles. Nissan SUCKS to the core!! Waiting on Nissan corporate to get back with me. Called them Monday the 26th and got a case # BUT have not heard back yet. I hate Nissan and will NEVER buy another vehicle or anything from them again! What a bunch of crap!! Just heard back on 10/9/14 from NISSAN corporation and they DENIED my SUV buyback!!! What a ungodly bunch of NISSAN idiot’s!! They don’t care one bit about the customer!! As long as they make their money who cares is their attitude!! What I want, is my $31,900.00 check back I wrote them or a new 2015 Pathfinder with a working transmission. They want give it to me because THEY are not customer friendly at all!! DO NOT BUY A NISSAN WHATSOEVER!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2014 Pathfinder: 58, high owing to many reports of transmission shudder
2013 Pathfinder: 40, moderate with previous generation transmission

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2013 Pathfinder: 65, 4

Additional participants always helpful (especially if you see "small sample size" next to the year, or no stat at all).

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New stuff this time. We've updated our reliability stats for the Pathfinder to include owner experiences through the end of 2014. Plus we've added reliability trends graphs. These indicate how a model's reliability has changed as it has aged, and how different model years performed when the same age.

2014 Pathfinder: 41, moderate
2013 Pathfinder: 43, moderate

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2013 Pathfinder: 71, 4

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

To view the new graphs, select "reliability trends" in the breadcrumbs at the top of the linked page.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts