Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about it and the Nissan Pathfinder might be good as a Police Interceptor if Nissan made a Police Package Pathfinder as civilian versions just won't hold up to the task.

It would be a cool rival to the Ford Explorer Police Interceptor:

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I've seen a few of these roaming around now. Not sure what Ford was thinking abandoning their RWD platforms for the FWD Taurus and Explorer-based interceptors. They could have continued to pump out Crown Vics specifically for fleet sales until the end of time and made a tidy profit on everyone of them, considering development costs were paid for back in the 80's.

Further, I'm floored that departments are buying these over the faster (and more robust) Charger-based interceptors.

I don't believe I've ever seen a foreign nameplate ever produce a police vehicle for the US market. Not sure if the PF would be a good candidate given the complexity of its CVT and 4WD systems.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a few of these roaming around now. Not sure what Ford was thinking abandoning their RWD platforms for the FWD Taurus and Explorer-based interceptors. They could have continued to pump out Crown Vics specifically for fleet sales until the end of time and made a tidy profit on everyone of them, considering development costs were paid for back in the 80's.

Further, I'm floored that departments are buying these over the faster (and more robust) Charger-based interceptors.

I don't believe I've ever seen a foreign nameplate ever produce a police vehicle for the US market. Not sure if the PF would be a good candidate given the complexity of its CVT and 4WD systems.
Abandoning RWD platforms aren't that bad. I think the new Fords come with an optional AWD system, so the Ford Explorer Interceptors can be AWD for all we know. An even bigger plus is that a lot of new AWD systems are becoming less FWD biased and have more of an even spread of power to the wheels. So a "true" AWD Explorer police vehicle is quite badass.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Abandoning RWD platforms aren't that bad. I think the new Fords come with an optional AWD system, so the Ford Explorer Interceptors can be AWD for all we know. An even bigger plus is that a lot of new AWD systems are becoming less FWD biased and have more of an even spread of power to the wheels. So a "true" AWD Explorer police vehicle is quite badass.
Police vehicles have historically been RWD/solid rear axle for the sake of simplicity and robustness. You can curb hop all day long and not break your transaxle or CV joints. By comparison FWD-based (including AWD models that use a transaxle) vehicles have been ignored historically due to increased complexity and maintenance/repair costs.

I guarantee you that you could take a Crown Vic through **** and back sooner than an Explorer or a Taurus, despite the more beefy suspension components that Ford designed into these new generation PPVs/interceptors.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree on the durability of those Crown Vics. Built tough. I actually thought about buying an off duty one before just for fun because they are so cheap and drive around make people paranoid haha.

The only way we would get a Pathfinder or any other brand is if they offered their cars to the police department for cheap as fleet cars. I don't think Nissan is interested in this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree on the durability of those Crown Vics. Built tough. I actually thought about buying an off duty one before just for fun because they are so cheap and drive around make people paranoid haha.

The only way we would get a Pathfinder or any other brand is if they offered their cars to the police department for cheap as fleet cars. I don't think Nissan is interested in this.
They have already done it overseas with the previous generation pathfinder so there is still a good chance that Nissan would do it again and even in other nations, maybe this time the U.S.A.?

Not being a on a truck based platform might shoot down this whole idea though. New pathfinder might be better off as vehicle for security companies and not police forces.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Have you tried spending any quality time in a Charger that is kitted out for police duty? While wearing a duty belt, gun, etc.? It's not a fun place to be. They're fast, sure...but in real world situations, the Taurus-based Interceptor has more accessible grip and power, and a LOT more room...and the Explorer based Interceptor is far, far more comfortable. A RWD Charger is **** near useless in snow, as well. If all you're doing is pursuits, a Charger with a Hemi may make sense. But for 99.9% of police driving, it's very suboptimal.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Have you tried spending any quality time in a Charger that is kitted out for police duty? While wearing a duty belt, gun, etc.? It's not a fun place to be. They're fast, sure...but in real world situations, the Taurus-based Interceptor has more accessible grip and power, and a LOT more room...and the Explorer based Interceptor is far, far more comfortable. A RWD Charger is **** near useless in snow, as well. If all you're doing is pursuits, a Charger with a Hemi may make sense. But for 99.9% of police driving, it's very suboptimal.
In all honesty, no I haven't. Good points though, I guess I didn't realize the Charger would be cramped, it always left the impression of being a good sized vehicle, comparable to a Crown Vic.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Have you tried spending any quality time in a Charger that is kitted out for police duty?
aka "have you ever been arrested before"

LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great idea! They can also put the criminals up front and have the airbag not inflate, killing them! It will save us money.

Bitter Party of One (The Wife)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I test-drove a Ford Explorer Sport before buying a Pathfinder. My wife liked the Pathfinder better and I like a lot of features better, but the Sport model has the 365 hp twin-turbo Ecoboost V-6 under the hood and full-time 4WD. I'm betting that's what the police package has. 0-60 is in the 6 sec range. That engine was almost enough to override all other considerations . . . in my mind, but of course not in my wife's mind.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I test-drove a Ford Explorer Sport before buying a Pathfinder. My wife liked the Pathfinder better and I like a lot of features better, but the Sport model has the 365 hp twin-turbo Ecoboost V-6 under the hood and full-time 4WD. I'm betting that's what the police package has. 0-60 is in the 6 sec range. That engine was almost enough to override all other considerations . . . in my mind, but of course not in my wife's mind.
Yup, chances are that's what the Police Ford Explorer has, can't imagine them having anything less than that, after all they are trying to phase out V8 police cars and need something just as good and better that can get better gas mileage.

Too bad the Pathfinder doesn't come boosted :(

Just imagine if there was a performance trim Pathfinder ...... Pathfinder-R :D

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
It would be not a bad alternative but I haven't ever seen an import police car from the Japanese in the U.S. and for sure it would be best to see a performance model to carry out the duties. This is where the turbocharged model would come in to play and be useful for the authorities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts