Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for cross-posting this, but I haven't gotten one response in 24 hours from my post in the General Discussion forum, so I realized I posted in the wrong place. My question:

My wife and I expect to pick up our new 2013 SL this weekend. We are migrating from an '02 Chevy Trailblazer.

I have a question about the tires. I know the PF has 18" rims with P235/65 tires. I have a brand-new set of the same dimension snow tires on 17" rims from the Trailblazer. Would it be worth my while to get a set of 17" rims that fit the Pathfinder so I can use them? Would that cause any performance problems, going from 18 to 17? I realize that I'll be fine with brand new all-season radials on a 4WD vehicle for this winter, but I'm used to having dedicated snows for our New England winters and just wanted some opinions as to whether it would be worth it. What do ya'll think?

Also, can anyone tell me the center bore dimension of the 2013 Pathfinder wheel. I believe the lug pattern is 5-114, correct?

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can get rims cheaper than tires? By the "same dimension. . ." do you mean overall tire height or section width and aspect ratio? If the former, no problem; the latter, odometer and speedometer will be off 3.6% or 2.5 mph at 70 mph. That is over and above the error inherent to the stock speedo. My stock speedo is off by 2 mph already.

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Tire Rack's response to my question

I posed my question to Tire Rack in a chat session. What follows is a copy of the dialog:

You are now chatting with 'Preston'

Preston: Hi Jay

Preston: How can I help you?

Jay: I know the Pathfinder has 18" rims with P235/65 tires. I have a brand-new set of the same dimension snow tires on 17" rims from my Chevy Trailblazer. Would it be worth my while to get a set of 17" rims that fit the Pathfinder so I can use them? Would that cause any performance problems, going from 18 to 17? I realize that I'll be fine with brand new all-season radials on a 4WD vehicle for this winter, but I'm used to having dedicated snows for our New England winters and just wanted some opinions as to whether it would be worth it.

Preston: Going to 17" tires and wheels is a good idea for winter, downsizing is what we'd recommend. A 235/65-17 though is short in overall diameter. It's a full inch shorter from top to bottom than the 235/65-18 would be, so this isn't a good size for the Pathfinder.

Preston: If you were to go with 17" tires and wheels, a 235/70-17 would be the correct size.

Jay: Why do you say that? What problems would it cause?

Preston: Being shorter in diameter, the tire isn't able to support as much weight and it'll put the speedometer a bit off.

Jay: I can understand the speedometer being off, but I believe the Trailblazer is a heavier vehicle (I have the EXT). So how would it not support the load range of the Pathfinder?

Preston: Do you know what tire model it is you have? I can see if it would be able to support the load of the Pathfinder or not. It's not going to be as strong as what is normally put on there, but I can see if it would be strong enough.

Jay: I have the Firestone Winterforce. BTW, the Pathfinder curb weight is 4486 while the TB curb weight is 5020.

Preston: That has a max load of 1,929lbs. per tire, so it will meet the load requirements. If you don't mind having the speedometer slightly off, it would work.

Preston: For wheels, you'll need one from 6.5-8.5" wide to fit with that tire.

Jay: Okay great! That's good to hear. Can you confirm that the bolt pattern I need is 5-114? Also what offsets will work for that vehicle?

Preston: Yes, that's the correct bolt pattern. The offset will vary some by width. If you search wheels by vehicle on our site though, offset, center bore, backspacing, etc. are all taken into consideration for you already when showing what fits.

Jay: I tried searching by vehicle, but it will only let me select 18" wheels.

Preston: I'll send you a link with the 17's, just a moment.

Preston: Click here [Wheels for 2013 Nissan Pathfinder on Tire Rack’s site.]

Jay: Okay, thanks Preston! It looks like the offsets can vary between 35-45 mm.

Preston: You're welcome. That's correct, most of the options will be somewhere in that range.

Jay: Thanks. You've been real helpful.

Preston: Glad I could help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds l like they were helpful over at tire rack, I'm going through the same thing right now. We upgraded to the 13 PF Platinum so I need to find some smaller wheels to go on the winter tires that we had on our 10 Edge.

Best of luck to you, what wheels did you decide on, we are thinking about the TSW Donington in black.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't like how those TSW wheels look. Always been a fan of using wheels from other vehicles in the same brand, in this case anything from other Nissan and Infiniti models.

These QX56 wheels would look sweet on the 2013+ PF

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doing a reversal in my thinking

Sounds l like they were helpful over at tire rack, I'm going through the same thing right now. We upgraded to the 13 PF Platinum so I need to find some smaller wheels to go on the winter tires that we had on our 10 Edge.
I started a thread on the General Discussion Forum, asking the question: "Are you going to buy snow tires for your new Pathfinder?" See http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum...going-buy-snow-tires-your-new-pathfinder.html.

After the responses I received, I'm having a change of heart. At least for this winter, I think I'm just going to stick with the tires that came on the truck (Conti Cross Contacts) and see how it goes. Going the dedicated snows route for this vehicle gets crazy expensive :eek:. Besides the cost of the tires and rims, you also have to consider the TPMS sensors, which go for $100+ apiece themselves! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts