Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tead the 2022 will have an 8 sp transmission, no more CVT.
when will we find out what is involved in swapping transmissions.
I checked with parts, simular transmission in the Frontier is same cost as a 2018 CVT, just under 2K.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,010 Posts
I don't think it's possible for the new Pathfinder's 8spd or the new Frontier's 9spd could be under $2000. A full exhaust system costs that much for a PF.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check with parts. I was in Courtesy Nissan Richardson, and already know their price for a CVT was $18xx.00 and asked about the Frontier transmission as it's the closest to the new pathfinder one. He said they were close and under $2000
I asked if this was just transmission without torque converter and he said yes.

The real issue is the extras, computer module, housings, torque converter etc not included, wiring harness etc.

Reactions: PoManzPathy

·
Registered
258 Posts
Time for a new parts department. A new cvt isn't $1800, unless it's used. They also come with the housing (whatever that is) and torque converter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had looked this up on their web site. just the CVT.
Screenshot_20210320-094952_Firefox.jpg

They now they just list the whole assembly

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's always the whole thing. They always comes with the TC. The housing is the case. A rebuild kit is the only thing that wouldn't come without that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's very strange. I suspect a lot more questions to be asked. I had ours rebuilt by Nissan recently under warranty. I asked about the cost and it was about $6k.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's very strange. I suspect a lot more questions to be asked. I had ours rebuilt by Nissan recently under warranty. I asked about the cost and it was about $6k.
Depending on the parts pricing matrix, even if the transmission cost the dealer $2K, they'd likely charge the customer about twice that. Then ~$1K in labor, plus the fluids, supplies, other parts, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
And a rebuild is totally different. They're only rebuilt at dealerships under warranty, and only technicians who have completed the factory training for cvts are able to do it. That requires auto and manual trans ASEs, online training, factory transmission diag and repair school, a few tests, and then that cvt school. It's not a matter of skill to do them, but the manufacturer will not pay the dealership for the job unless acct certified tech does it.

Maybe tranny shops do them too, but I'm not sure how cost effective it is? It's a lot more labor, obviously to rebuild, but I can't remember how much more it is in hours.

I'm replacing a pathfinder transmission tomorrow and I think it is 14 hours? This one is being done through an aftermarket warranty company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, first time posting here been member for a while mostly read.

The new transmission is a 9 speed ZF, so it won't be a straight over swap. It is nothing like the Frontier one as that transmission is for a RWD set up and the one in the Pathfinder is a FWD set up. There is lots of info out there already on this transmission, unfortunately it's had issues, Honda & Chrysler use this unit in their FWD base vehicles. Due to financial struggles at Nissan this was the most cost effective way for them to get a new trans by sourcing it from ZF.

The ZF units are heavily controlled by electronics so would need to have the correct software to manage how it shifts in relation to the engine or maybe even change out the computer control module? My youngest brother works for Nissan Canada and I can ask him if it is possible to swap and how easy it would be and the cost of course. He will actually have a 2022 demo to use for 2 weeks in April so I will get a chance to see it up close and also how it drives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it has been a while but first chance I have had to return here and provide an update to my previous post. The info provided to me is that it would be stupid expensive to swap out the old CVT and install the new 9 speed transmission into an older gen Pathfinder. It would involve a new 9 spd transmission (obviously), a new computer to control the shifting including a wiring harness, new mounts as they are different, new axle shafts and apparently the drive shaft is different. Parts alone would be in excess of $8-9K (CND) and then labor to do it all. Hope this helps out anyone still wondering.

As far as the new Pathfinder it drove very well, had lots of power and transmission was very smooth and responsive. It felt like it had way more power than the previous generation but I think that is the new transmission having much better gearing giving a sens of more power and quicker acceleration. Also one thing that was great was no drone from the trans when climbing hills or passing on the highway like the CVT models had. This was a pre-production model that was for internal use but the fit and finish was very good considering. In my opinion I think Nissan will have a winner here.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I know it has been a while but first chance I have had to return here and provide an update to my previous post. The info provided to me is that it would be stupid expensive to swap out the old CVT and install the new 9 speed transmission into an older gen Pathfinder. It would involve a new 9 spd transmission (obviously), a new computer to control the shifting including a wiring harness, new mounts as they are different, new axle shafts and apparently the drive shaft is different. Parts alone would be in excess of $8-9K (CND) and then labor to do it all. Hope this helps out anyone still wondering.
To me, there'd more to it than that. There is likely differences in subrames, steering knuckles and how components like the exhaust and steering fit around the transmission case. Then you have the transfer case, how it fits in the mix and mates up with the rear prop shaft. You'd probably need to lop the whole front end off of a new 2022 and mate it up to a 2021 and make a FrankenFinder

Trust me though, as much as I enjoy driving our 2019 Pathfinder even with the CVT, I'd take a ZF sourced transmission in a heartbeat. I've owned two Ram 1500 pickups with the 8spd and it's just an awesome AT.

·
Registered
30 Posts

As far as the new Pathfinder it drove very well, had lots of power and transmission was very smooth and responsive. It felt like it had way more power than the previous generation but I think that is the new transmission having much better gearing giving a sens of more power and quicker acceleration. Also one thing that was great was no drone from the trans when climbing hills or passing on the highway like the CVT models had. This was a pre-production model that was for internal use but the fit and finish was very good considering. In my opinion I think Nissan will have a winner here.
Interesting, I test drove 2022 PF platinum, kinda felt older models had better pick up, may be I will have to give another try. Tech is great, some of the sonars were not working as expected but could be just this vehicle. Did I mention the rear glass completely shattered to pieces when the tech first opened the door as soon as the car came from the truck?...lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts