Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum because I wanted to get to know more about the Pathfinders, especially the new redesigned 2013 model. I've been looking since i joined and saw one post about CVT being replaced already-which doesn't sound good for someone like me that wants to get this model.

My question or need advice for is "how reliable is the new paths?" Will i be regretting my purchase-(in the next month or two i will be trading in my daily driver)? So i wanted to get some info and feedback from already owners. And now that there will be a hybrid version is it worth it to just wait for it to come out? Just some questions i have in mind before i buy...

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Question 1: The new Pathfinder is a great vehicle and you get more for your money than any other SUV out there IMO. Yes some of us have had issues as with any other new car but nothing that is not fixable or dealbreaker. I would simply try and get the latest build date possible and be sure to confirm with dealer that all updates have been addressed before leaving the lot. I have not had any of the CVT issues myself.

Question 2: Would I wait and buy the hybrid? No but Really Depends no how many miles and how long you plan to keep it. Long time to break even. Here is my previous post with reasoning. http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/new-2013-pathfinder-general-discussion-forum/430-would-you-buy-new-nissan-pathfinder-hybrid.html#post2727 There is also more handy info on linked thread for your benefit.

Please do share with us your decision and post pics if you go ahead with purchase!

·
Registered
234 Posts
First model year of any car is going to have issues. We have the advantage of the Infiniti JX coming first by almost 7 months - it was MUCH buggier than the Pathfinder. To date, we have one recall and one service bulletin. Not bad.

The CVT is not new to Nissan, but it is a new generation of CVT so we could (and to some extent, are) experience issues. But, the control module reprogram worked like a champ for me so the once horrible judder is no longer an issue for me.

I am 99% happy with my Pathfinder. (Plat Premium 4x4). Love it. And I get a lot of great feedback from friends. I don't regret my purchase. I am slightly concerned about the CVT but I'm trusting that if something major goes wrong, Nissan will do the right thing. So far, they seem to be addressing issues that come up.

As for the hybrid, well, I love the idea of better gas mileage so if you can wait, why not? But, you may have to deal with first gen bugs with that too. You'll also probably pay a premium in price. So, there are potential gotchas waiting for the hybrid.

So, I can't tell you what to do, but that's my opinion on your questions and concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your feed backs. I am ready to actually buy in a couple of months. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision based on my researches and of course owner feed backs. Looking to get the SL Premium Moonlight white as i wanted to experience the around view monitoring system- sounds cool. LOL. Also have another question, the tires on these looks like they are too small for the car, it looks awkward in the sense that the fender is larger. I haven't really taken a closer look just from what i see on the road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Agree with the previous posts. There is a possibility of issues with any new vehicle. I have had my Path for a couple weeks now and about 700 miles in have not seen any of the "common" issues so far. Mine has a March build date. But my experience with Nissan is that they are very proactive at solving issues and rolling them out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To get the around view monitor you would have to get into the Platinum model. Agree that the vehicle would look a bit sharper if the wheels came out a little closer to the sheet metal. We believe this inset is to improve fuel economy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My Path has a January build date and over 1600 miles with no issues other than keeping it clean with all the pollen thats
falling in Carolina right now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would skip on the hybrid for now. Like others said, I would wait until the second year to see what problems pop up. The hybrid will cost about $3000 more.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The Pathfinder CVT is just as reliable as any other Nissan CVT. Others on different platforms have reported problems too.

Not every car will be perfect. There will always be errors and therefore failures.

I would not base the reliability off one car. I'd say overall the car is reliable.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Pathfinders are quite reliable compared to other SUV's. I know Ford Escape owners have been having a ton of problems. Getting the new Pathfinder, you'll be owning one of the best SUV's in it's class, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

But don't be surprised if issues do come up, it is a new car, and Nissan is still trying to work out any kinks/issues. It's like this across the industry.

I would recommend you get the New PF!

The amount of new Pathfinder owners on this site is already a good example of how much love it gets

·
Registered
234 Posts
To get the around view monitor you would have to get into the Platinum model. Agree that the vehicle would look a bit sharper if the wheels came out a little closer to the sheet metal. We believe this inset is to improve fuel economy.
I saw a post about the tires earlier and went out to look at mine - I don't think they look "in" at all. Is it because mine are the 20 inch tires? What size do you have? Just curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts