Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Ford Explorer took a dump so needed newer vehicle. Bought 4 years ago for $3500.00 and believe I got my $$$'s worth. Did not want to spend $1500.00 to $2000.00 in repairs.

So was actually looking at used Kia Sorentos or similar when I came across a beautiful and super clean white with beige interior 2017 Pathfinder S with 41,000 miles. What stood out the most and was clearly obvious was that the previous owner used seat covers because the interior was absolutely spotless and unworn looking. Also was surprised at the standard features the entry level "S" models came with.

I usually research things to excess before I purchase but just did not make that happen this time due to being short on time. With that said after purchasing the PF, I became aware of the common Nissan CVT problems over the years so a week after taking the PF home I had the CVT fluid and filter changed at the Nissan dealer just to get a fresh start and not knowing if it had ever been changed. My plan is to change it every 20,000 miles as well as have full synthetic oil changes every 3,000 miles. Got a great deal on Techron fuel system cleaner at Advanced Auto Parts so I bought a couple of bottles and plan to run it through maybe every three months.

So far very happy with the PF and currently shopping for good seat covers for at minimum the front seats.

Bill

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,718 Posts
to the forum!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,010 Posts
Welcome. I can't help with the seat covers other than they would have come in handy on my 2019 SV model with black interior. The bride, kids and dogs have done a number on it LOL.

I do have some maintenance suggestions. Given the 2017+ uses a direct injected engine, these engines have a tendency to blacken the engine oil very quickly and will sludge up if you don't change oil/filter at factory recommended or earlier intervals. Do not go beyond 5000mi between OCIs. I'm so paranoid with mine that I don't exceed 3500mi between OCIs.

If your S model is equipped with 4x4. I'd do a few drain/fills on the transfer case and a drain/fill on the rear differential. Buying used, hopefully it's FWD only. That takes a lot of potential failure points out of the picture.

All in all, I find our 2019 (currently at 48500mi) a pleasure to drive and be in. They are a big, comfortable and versatile vehicle that still drive and handle like a smaller sportier car.

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have some maintenance suggestions. Given the 2017+ uses a direct injected engine, these engines have a tendency to blacken the engine oil very quickly and will sludge up if you don't change oil/filter at factory recommended or earlier intervals. Do not go beyond 5000mi between OCIs. I'm so paranoid with mine that I don't exceed 3500mi between OCIs.
As mentioned, every 3,000 miles full synthetic is my plan.

If your S model is equipped with 4x4. I'd do a few drain/fills on the transfer case and a drain/fill on the rear differential. Buying used, hopefully it's FWD only. That takes a lot of potential failure points out of the picture.
FWD it is.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Bill, you're golden on both accounts then!

The only thing I'd add, is depending on the amount of miles you drive, I'd do a 4qt spill and fill on the CVT every 10-15K miles. They really are easier to do than an engine oil change. I've been mail-ordering NS-3 fluid online, but once I'm beyond 60K miles, I'll be using any name-brand aftermarket CVT fluid that is suitable for NS-3 use.

I've probably done 4-5 drain/fills on my 2019 and I'm still on the factory drain plug copper washer. I only checked level the first time and this was after I measured what came out (cold) and added that same amount back in.

EDIT. I used 5w30 synthetic engine oil as opposed to the 0w20. 5w30 makes me feel better. LOL

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, you're golden on both accounts then!
Great to know.

The only thing I'd add, is depending on the amount of miles you drive, I'd do a 4qt spill and fill on the CVT every 10-15K miles.
Actually I was thinking 15,000 miles but thought I might be getting a bit too cautious. My guess is that my yearly mileage will be between 8,000 and 9,000 miles.

I used 5w30 synthetic engine oil as opposed to the 0w20. 5w30 makes me feel better. LOL
Can you elaborate? I live in FL and doubt I will see many 0 degrees F temps so 5w20 or 5w30 may be better.

Bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Bill, my personal take is 5w30 offers a thicker, stronger film strength for the engine internals. I'm old school and understand the fact manufacturers recommend 0w20 in an attempt to maximize fuel economy. Thinner oil is ever so slightly easier to pump. I notice zero MPG or performance loss using 5w30 in mine over the recommended 0w20.

Fuel economy isn't awesome either way. I've never seen higher than 19mpg average per the dash on ours. I've never hand-calculated MPGs based on miles driven over whole tanks of fuel.

My ~400hp 2019 Ram 1500 hemi crew cab, 4x4 gets better MPGs.

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've probably done 4-5 drain/fills on my 2019 and I'm still on the factory drain plug copper washer.
Just looked at the service receipt from my PF CVT fluid change and realized that Universal Nissan did a CVT flush instead of a fluid and filter change. Should I be concerned? Should the service department have asked which service I would prefer?

Bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just looked at the service receipt from my PF CVT fluid change and realized that Universal Nissan did a CVT flush instead of a fluid and filter change. Should I be concerned? Should the service department have asked which service I would prefer?

Bill
I have a feeling what they termed a flush was nothing more than a 4qt drain and fill. If you were to use a fluid exchanger machine, (what a "flush" actually is) you'd go through a case or more of NS-3 at $20+ per quart would cost a ton.

Nothing wrong with going that route. You'll have more new fluid in the system. It would just be expensive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fuel economy isn't awesome either way. I've never seen higher than 19mpg average per the dash on ours. I've never hand-calculated MPGs based on miles driven over whole tanks of fuel.

My ~400hp 2019 Ram 1500 hemi crew cab, 4x4 gets better MPGs.
You either have an issue with your path or apples aren't being compared to apples. You've said before your wife's path rarely gets the mpg reset. Long term average including all warmups and food stops/idle time is a terrible representation of actual fuel efficiency of the vehicle. Same day same drive your path should do much better than that ram unless you're both pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a feeling what they termed a flush was nothing more than a 4qt drain and fill. If you were to use a fluid exchanger machine, (what a "flush" actually is) you'd go through a case or more of NS-3 at $20+ per quart would cost a ton.

Nothing wrong with going that route. You'll have more new fluid in the system. It would just be expensive.
What stood out on the work order/receipt was the word flush and the fact it that only listed CVT fluid quarts quantity/price and did not itemize the filter which leads me to believe they did do a flush which would/should clean the filter. I think I will call them today and get confirmation.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
What stood out on the work order/receipt was the word flush and the fact it that only listed CVT fluid quarts quantity/price and did not itemize the filter which leads me to believe they did do a flush which would/should clean the filter. I think I will call them today and get confirmation.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, like said, "flush" is a marketing term. Nothing more. I believe the Nissan factory service manual suggests drains/fills over using any type of machine, but like said if a fluid exchange was done, that would actually be better than the 4qt drail/fill that I suspect they did.

There's no way to reverse flow through the transmission to clean the filter, etc. If indeed a "flush" was done, it's like a fluid transfusion. These fluid exchange machines are tied into the cooler hose circuit. As the engine is started and the transmission pumps it's own fluid out, the exact amount it pumped/transferred back in. Youtube transmission fluid exchangers of you want more detail on that.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You either have an issue with your path or apples aren't being compared to apples. You've said before your wife's path rarely gets the mpg reset. Long term average including all warmups and food stops/idle time is a terrible representation of actual fuel efficiency of the vehicle. Same day same drive your path should do much better than that ram unless you're both pulling a trailer.
Sorry if I missed it, but what real world day to day fuel economy are you getting? I'm not talking about single trip results. I'm referring to miles driven over an entire tank of fuel and how that repeats. That's the only number that matters.

Like said, judging by my number and frequency of fill-ups, the miles driven and what the dash indicates on our 2019, it levels out at 19mpg at best for my wife's day to day driving. We live in a hilly, semi-rural ~45-55mph area with very little stop/go, so it's a lot of ~12-20mile round trip in and out of town usage, typically with 2-4 people in the vehicle, with a mix of steady highway use. With nearly 2yrs of ownership, we haven't had it on a road trip of more than a few hundred steady miles yet.

This ~19mpg is very consistent with most owner's results. Some get less. Very few consistently get more than that.

I get 20mpg tank to tank with my 2019 Ram.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, but what real world day to day fuel economy are you getting? I'm not talking about single trip results. I'm referring to miles driven over an entire tank of fuel and how that repeats. That's the only number that matters.

Like said, judging by my number and frequency of fill-ups, the miles driven and what the dash indicates on our 2019, it levels out at 19mpg at best for my wife's day to day driving. We live in a hilly, semi-rural ~45-55mph area with very little stop/go, so it's a lot of ~12-20mile round trip in and out of town usage, typically with 2-4 people in the vehicle, with a mix of steady highway use. With nearly 2yrs of ownership, we haven't had it on a road trip of more than a few hundred steady miles yet.

This ~19mpg is very consistent with most owner's results. Some get less. Very few consistently get more than that.

I get 20mpg tank to tank with my 2019 Ram.
Your mileage that matters is much different than mine, I'll leave it at that for now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Your mileage that matters is much different than mine, I'll leave it at that for now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It's probably best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts