Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drove this off the lot last night.
On the way home, I noticed that when turning "sharply" either right or left, I heard & felt a really strong
"shudder" that seemed to come from the front end.
I drove it back this morning, and sales guy called me & said, "I have good news!" It's in 4WD mode...
However, it's in AUTO mode.
Should I be experiencing significant "shuddering" in AUTO, when turning sharply right & left??

Appreciate feedback fellas.

Cheers,.
Rich

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No.
Take it to a dealer and make sure you have the latest software installed. There was a revision around 2016 that identifies transmission shudder and throws a code when it happens. Replicate the issue and check for codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

No.
Take it to a dealer and make sure you have the latest software installed. There was a revision around 2016 that identifies transmission shudder and throws a code when it happens. Replicate the issue and check for codes.
:(
I was afraid you were gonna say that..
Now I have to convince the dealership that AUTO shouldn't do that

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Your issue could also be the magnetic coupler located on the rear differentlial.
This is why is important you rule out the transmission by updating the software and looking for codes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it only happens when Turing, like parking like maneuvers, then it's most likely the electronic coupler. The transmission doesn't care what direction you're going but the rear end does. it not happening in 2wd is a dead giveaway too. While the manual says to keep it on auto for regular driving, just leave it in 2w unless you are in a low traction situation.

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Mine has been on Auto since the day it left the lot. It has never done anything funny while turning sharply.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,010 Posts
Sounds like the classic rear coupler on it's way out.

Of course the place you bought it isn't going to want to put anything into it given there's no codes or driveability concerns under "normal" circumstances. Problem is, under no circumstances should this system bind and shudder during tight turns.

If it is the rear coupler, it's not a difficult job to remove and replace, it's just an expensive part and it will require programming afterwards.

Reactions: rgouette
1 - 12 of 12 Posts