Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the PF talk forum. I own a 2013 pathfinder SL (80K miles) that has a sinking/soft brake pedal issue that comes and goes over the past 6 months. It is typically noticed when braking at slow speeds and coming to stop, the pedal is soft and you will have to press it almost to the floor to get the car to stop. After being stopped the pedal will also sink some and the car can roll forward. When letting up off of the pedal there is noise that sounds like air being sucked back into the system.

Previously had it looked at by Nissan dealer which identified the problem as the check value on the brake booster. I had the value changed but the problem still persists.

Has anyone else had this problem with their 13+ PF? If so, what was the issue/resolution?

Thanks,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
1,886 Posts
Hi Sam

Welcome to the forum.
I don't recall reading about a similar issue in this forum. You do want to have that looked at ASAP.
I doubt it would be a booster related issue, a booster is intended to amplify the force applied to the brake pedal, period. No boost means a very hard pedal but it should not be soft or go all the way to the floor.
I believe your issue is the master cylinder, it could be leaking internally.
A soft pedal can be caused by "entrapped" air, a bad hose or master cylinder. The first two will manifest all the time, that is why I think it could be the third one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2014 is the same.. Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong. Their shuttle had the same issue. It stops well, pedal is just soft... no idea why.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the PF talk forum. I own a 2013 pathfinder SL (80K miles) that has a sinking/soft brake pedal issue that comes and goes over the past 6 months. It is typically noticed when braking at slow speeds and coming to stop, the pedal is soft and you will have to press it almost to the floor to get the car to stop. After being stopped the pedal will also sink some and the car can roll forward. When letting up off of the pedal there is noise that sounds like air being sucked back into the system.

Previously had it looked at by Nissan dealer which identified the problem as the check value on the brake booster. I had the value changed but the problem still persists.

Has anyone else had this problem with their 13+ PF? If so, what was the issue/resolution?

Thanks,
Sam
I am having the exact same issue on my 2015 Pathfinder and we are currently on our third attempt to fix it. One thing I can tell you is that it is NOT the master cylinder. I found that out after an expensive repair. Mechanic said that was the only thing it could be, but it obviously wasn't. Problem comes and goes, but persists. Sinking pedal while stopping and when stopped. A noise of either air or squeaking metal upon releasing the pedal (only when the problem is occurring). I'm very frustrated by the process of ID'ing the problem and fixing it, as it doesn't seem the brake system should work this way, and while the car always stops, it doesn't feel safe to just keep driving it like this. I'll let you know if we find something that works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts