Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had the pf for less than a month. it had 31 miles on it when i bought it. has 330 or so now.

i'm seeing crap for mpg - anywhere from 7 to 15. actually it was stuck at between 6-9 mpg until i filled it with premium; then it went up to 15. and yes, i'm aware of resetting to clear out numbers. and yes, i'm aware of the two different displays - they each show something different - sometimes the dash is higher than the main and sometimes it's other way around. although different, they're to far apart - no more than 2 mpg.

there's hesitation while driving - i understand cvt is different from standard automatic. still, it shouldn't drop out when i've got my foot on the gas pedal and applying some bit of pressure (i can understand it dropping out if i take my foot completely off the pedal though). it's been more severe when moving from gas to brake to stop for stop sign or red signal - and then there's no acceleration when i press the gas to go. i've only done around town driving (no highway yet) so basic speed is between 25-35 and i always travel routes that avoid heavy traffic and excessive amounts of stop signs/signals to avoid constant stop/start, so this isn't a matter of too much switching around and up/down. the hesitations and drop outs have happened while at speed and also from being at dead stop as well as in between.

i'm not an aggressive driver and don't floor it from a dead stop and don't do that heavy on the pedal to get up to speed then brake to slow then hit the gas hard again. nor am i one to hit the brake hard to stop - i ease off the gas appropriately ahead of time then start to brake.

i didn't find anything about the class action suit when i was researching before i purchased. i'm not a happy camper, needless to say. do i have an engine that should be part of the class action? it was manufactured in 2016 even though it's marked as a 2017. is the class action based on model year only or manufacture date?

i'm wondering though, if the hesitation issues are because the gas in it was old? the vehicle has february inspection stickers so it sat in the lot for almost a full year except for a few test drives. winter time here they do the ethanol mix and with only 30 miles on it, there wasn't opportunity to refill tank with summertime gas with no ethanol. i learned here (i searched for info on all these issues) about the ethanol breaking down to water. how long does it take to break down? could that be the reason for the hesitation? if so, would it cause permanent damage to the engine?

other issue is the radio reception sucks and i guess there's not much that can be done for that. it's really disappointing! i LOVED the system in the maxima...now i can't even get a couple stations that i could on that one and a couple that i do get float in/out. it makes no sense that older tech would be better...

thoughts, suggestions? anything i should specifically ask service dept tomorrow? (i have it in for them to look at/address this stuff)

thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it did sit on the lot that long with only 31 miles, it may be your gas. I'm told that this E-90 gas starts going bad in 30-60 days. The Ethanol attracts water and eventually the water separates. Water is heavier so it settles on the bottom. I put pure gas in anything that sits (lawn mower, boat, 4x4 over winter) If that's true, with 330 miles, you should be thru a tank by now. I would probably put some Star Tron or Sea Foam in my tank and run that. If it continues, I'd go to the dealer and demand them to find out your issue.
PS, I have a 2017 built in 2016. I get 26 MPG highway. On a trip to PA after Christmas, I got 27.5 (center screen between speedo and tach) for 1st 80 miles in VA cruising at 76 MPH until I hit a traffic jam.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info on time frame for break down - i hadn't found that info yet via google (was going through all kinds of info re the sticker ratings and the epa and the testing procedure used).

the dealership neglected to fill the tank before i took possession so a top-off was done a few days later and then another one when i called to complain about the low mpg. then i filled it right before the storm (i don't like being below 1/2 when it's snowtime in case i get stuck out on the road). so the tank hasn't gotten down to really low to be able to get rid of potential bad gas. and no choice at the moment for pure gas - this time of year it's all e10 and will be until, i think it's march when it switches back to all gas.

i had it in for a look-see today and they topped the tank off. they didn't duplicate the hesitation issue and they took it on the highway for 40 some miles. not happy about the high speeds with being in break in period, nothing i can do about it now though.

obviously they reset something as the mpg's are at 17 or so now - on both screens. with the confirmation the gas probably has some water in it, i'll run this tank down to red and refill and then reset and see what happens.

the downfall to being female when dealing with car issues and talking to a mechanic: being treated like a child and/or imbecile when something is being 'explained so you can understand it'. also being given complete bs. ie. 'this model doesn't get the mpg per the sticker. especially here in the ne with the e10 gas; because that reduces the mpg a lot.'

uhh, no! e10 only reduces mpg by 3% maybe 4% and that equates to 1 mpg. so, i should be seeing 18 city.

and to compare: my maxima ALWAYS got 20-21 city with sticker saying 19 and it ALWAYS got that kind of mpg regardless of whether it was wintertime with e10 or summertime without it. only time that got lower mpg was when it needed an oil change and then it only went down to 18. and that was consistent for the whole 15 years.

i don't do a lot of highway driving and the next show isn't until march so i don't think i'll get to see how well it does there for a bit - and when i do get out on the highway, i doubt this thing will come close to the 30+ i used to get with the maxima - and that was with the car fully loaded with ferrets and all their stuff (cages). shoot, i even hit 46 mpg a couple times on a really flat section of the turnpike! i doubt i'll see that kind of number with the pf....

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
I agree you should try new gas before evaluating things such as MPG.
Pathfinders have an automatic deceleration function that "transmission brake" the vehicle when you are coming to a stop. It takes a bit to get used to this and it might be what you are experiencing. In addition, there is another function that applies the brakes to prevent the vehicle from rolling back if you are starting on an incline.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree you should try new gas before evaluating things such as MPG.
Pathfinders have an automatic deceleration function that "transmission brake" the vehicle when you are coming to a stop. It takes a bit to get used to this and it might be what you are experiencing. In addition, there is another function that applies the brakes to prevent the vehicle from rolling back if you are starting on an incline.
the automatic deceleration function - does that happen any/every time you take your foot off the gas pedal? if so, then that might be what's happening. i did read up on cvt and i did see something about keeping some kind of steady pressure on the gas pedal even if you are at speed. so, i've been doing that. probably not perfectly though - 30+ years of driving habits take time to be adjusted, lol. i will have to be more observant to see if i've taken pressure off the pedal when i feel the drop down.

the function to keep you from rolling backwards on an incline - that only happens when you've got the hill assist turned on, right? or is there still something going to stop the roll back even that isn't turned on?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
the automatic deceleration function - does that happen any/every time you take your foot off the gas pedal?
You'll only feel this at low speeds, when coming to a stop. It feels like a transmission downshift.

the function to keep you from rolling backwards on an incline - that only happens when you've got the hill assist turned on, right? or is there still something going to stop the roll back even that isn't turned on?
I believe you can turn it off in the settings menu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWdbHx_1yY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't worry about driving at highway speeds during break in period.

As for gas, you can always find gas station that sells racing fuel and such. They'll have no winter gas.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
IIRC the hill start assist is automatic, it is stated in the owners manual, hill decent control is the one you can turn ON/OFF, available only in AWD trim

·
Registered
223 Posts
IIRC the hill start assist is automatic, it is stated in the owners manual, hill decent control is the one you can turn ON/OFF, available only in AWD trim
I think you're correct. I didn't see where I can turn hill start assist on or off. Hill decent on my 2017 works only in 4WD Locked. The light on the dash is on solid. In auto mode, the light blinks and nothing happens - tested yesterday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope you're not experiencing what I did. Engine bucked and died on me. I do mostly highway driving and I only get 19-20mpg on regular at 70mph.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
One of the few good things on our 14 SL is the gas mileage. We routinely get 25-28 US MPG in the Rockies - and I drive FAST. There is something not right with your PF

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hill assist definitely NOT working.

i took a trip of couple hundred miles total....barely got 21 mpg on the highway. this was at a steady speed with cruise on and without it and regardless of whether the speed was 55, 60, 65 or more. it didn't go over 19 on the way down (more traffic and actually didn't really hit highway speeds even though it was highway) and barely hit 21 mpg on the way back - i was almost home when it finally went up to that - more than 100 miles with nothing other than slight speed adjustments (no full out stops like on trip down). this is really disgusting.

and can anyone tell me where the cold blast of air is coming from?? i mean, the heat is on and it's blowing hot air and the fan is at 4 or more and then periodically i feel this blast of cold air that hits my legs/lap. i can't figure out where exactly it's coming from though. not the vents in the dash - i have the heat set to go to feet only although some warm air does still come out of the vents aimed at the windows (nothing seems to come from the two center vents). the system has not been on long enough for the temp to need to be adjusted - iow, it's 30 or so outside and the cars only been on for 15 minutes so there's no way the interior can be up to temp yet - which is obvious by the fact that the fan is on higher setting rather than down to 1. it's most annoying to have this blast of cold air when what you want is hot!

this started after they replaced the brake switch - which did fix the lack of response/hesitation i was seeing after stopping for stop signs.

oh and the sun roof opened by itself the other day. heard a 'whoosh' and looked up and it was open. i was driving at the time and had both hands on the wheel so absolutely no way i hit that button to open it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hill assist definitely NOT working.
“Hill start assist will operate automatically under the following conditions:

● The shift selector is shifted to a forward or reverse gear.
● The vehicle is stopped completely on a hill by applying the brake.

The maximum holding time is 2 seconds. After 2 seconds the vehicle will begin to roll back and hill start assist will stop operating completely.

Hill start assist will not operate when the shift selector is shifted to N or P or on a flat and level road.”

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
“Hill start assist will operate automatically under the following conditions:

● The shift selector is shifted to a forward or reverse gear.
● The vehicle is stopped completely on a hill by applying the brake.

The maximum holding time is 2 seconds. After 2 seconds the vehicle will begin to roll back and hill start assist will stop operating completely.

Hill start assist will not operate when the shift selector is shifted to N or P or on a flat and level road.”
as soon as i take my foot off the brake and don't even have it halfway to the gas pedal, i'm rolling backwards. and yes, i'm on a hill when this happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
as soon as i take my foot off the brake and don't even have it halfway to the gas pedal, i'm rolling backwards. and yes, i'm on a hill when this happens.
How hard are you pushing the brakes? I believe the peddle has to be pushed at least half way in for it to activate. If that still doesn't work, then you may need the dealer to take a look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts