Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking input from members that have actually owned and used the Nissan Consult diagnostics system:

It appears that there are Consult 3 systems available for three price ranges: below $100, $350 - $500, and > $1500. The less than $100 versions appear to be older ones that only work with cars before 2000, and use an RS232 cable to talk to the laptop. The $350 - $500 appear to use Bluetooth interface, and claim to have the latest software and works with the current vehicles, but does not have the capability to display waveforms (which is OK with me). The greater than $1500 versions look exactly like my dealer's Consult setup. All options claim if you provide a laptop with Windows XP their software will work without any special password or other software.

Questions:
1) If I want to have a Consult 3 that can read and log various data from the Pathfinder to a laptop, but don't care about reprogramming and don't care about displaying waveforms, would one of the $350 - $500 units work?
2) Nissan will sell you their latest Consult 3 software off the site. Is that configured to work exclusively with their Consult units, or will it work with hardware not sold by Nissan?
3) Any recommendations for a non-Nissan source of Consult 3 hardware and software that will work with the 2013-14s to read and capture data beyond just the error codes?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm subscribed to this one. :)

I have been looking into purchasing my own CIII since 2006. As I write this I am setting up our new CIII Toughbook which we purchased on sale for a hair under $10K. This is the only legit way to get one for "official" business, it still requires separate devices for keys software updates and does not come with a copy of Assist. The similar programs you can purchase online usually ends up being too good to be true, or extremely limited in its functionality.

The interface with the DLC is usually where the generic programs fall apart (from my experience, although that was a few years back when I last seriously scoured the market). Anyone can pull a data stream off of the CAN lines for watching engine signals but accessing the body control and any of the tech options is a little more difficult.

Please post links to any of the items you are seriously considering.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm subscribed to this one. :)

I have been looking into purchasing my own CIII since 2006. As I write this I am setting up our new CIII Toughbook which we purchased on sale for a hair under $10K. This is the only legit way to get one for "official" business, it still requires separate devices for keys software updates and does not come with a copy of Assist. The similar programs you can purchase online usually ends up being too good to be true, or extremely limited in its functionality.

The interface with the DLC is usually where the generic programs fall apart (from my experience, although that was a few years back when I last seriously scoured the market). Anyone can pull a data stream off of the CAN lines for watching engine signals but accessing the body control and any of the tech options is a little more difficult.

Please post links to any of the items you are seriously considering.
Thanks for your response. I am not a repair shop, just an owner, and if I keep the Pathfinder for 10+ years as I have every other vehicle I have owned, I would think a nominal $500 investment in hardware and software that would be several steps above a $100 OBD-2 reader, but not all the bells and whistles that a dealership setup would have (along with that 4 or 5 digit cost) would be a reasonable and justified expense.

What triggered this inquiry is yesterday my local dealer provided a tech and a Consult 3 system to ride around for 30 minutes to try to catch the shudder. I think he was logging rpms, primary and secondary pulley speeds and a couple of hydraulic pressures. I would like to be able to do that level of 'viewing the data stream', but do not plan to reprogram anything, and don't need an oscilloscope (because I already have one), or a direct connection to TechLine, etc. I am not trying to replace my local service department, but I do like to figure out what the problem is before I take it in (and so do they, even though they don't admit it).

Unfortunately, the items and prices that I have found to date are all gray boxes from China, the software is on a burned CD, etc. which does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that my $300 - $500 would accomplish what I want to do. These can be found on ebay, Amazon, private websites, etc. That's why I was asking if any other American non-Nissan sources were marketing a similar device without the OEM markup, at least I would have some support if there was a problem setting up and using it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That seems like reasonable justification for the expense in my opinion. You would probably benefit from having a tool like that, although without an up to date copy of the service manual you may be chasing something you expect to see only to have it be slightly wrong, they do update and revise FSM quite frequently now.

The biggest problem I see when talking to enthusiasts about this all over the internet is they typically do not know what they are trying to do, and furthermore run the risk of causing irreversible damage to something along the way.It is the old problem of just enough information to be dangerous, boy could I tell you some stories. You saying that you own an oscilloscope would probably put you in the small category where you could actually benefit from seeing exactly what the vehicle is doing under certain conditions.

Good Luck with the search I look forward to seeing what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got Nissan Consult 3 Professional Diagnostic Tool last week ,Nissan Consult 3 Logiciel is a professional diagnostic tool for Nissan cars.Including Nissan cars from different area,such as Japanese,North American.Almost including all Nissan car model.This tool equipped with various function including simultaneous self-diagnosis of an entire system or data recorder.
The selection of CAN type as well as the identification of malfunction locations are completely automated, allowing CAN diagnosis to be done 17 times faster than previous method where the diagnostics system needed to be supplemented by the service manuals. Repairs involving reprogramming of the in-vehicle computer can be completed 1.5 to 2.5 times faster with the new system.The system is able to perform accurate diagnosis without having to rely on the diagnostic skills of technical staff at the dealership.Increased efficiency in operations based on wireless technologyWith wireless vehicle communication interface, it is possible to check the condition of the vehicle from either (*2) inside or outside the vehicle. At dealerships in Japan, it is possible to access the Nissan network to retrieve both the maintenance technology data related to the diagnosis results and spot adequate information on service manual. The dealerships are also able to access their service database and refer to the vehicle's maintenance history on the laptop PC.i find this from obd2warehouse,and i think this is good trade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The biggest problem I see when talking to enthusiasts about this all over the internet is they typically do not know what they are trying to do, and furthermore run the risk of causing irreversible damage to something along the way.

—————————————
Nissan Consult 3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts