Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and viewing many videos and posts on Youtube this forum, I decided to do my own fluid and filter change.

Car has approx. 145,xxx mi., but the tranny was replaced at I think approx. 80,xxx mi. or so.

Dropped fluid with car level. Got about 4 qts. A little less, actually. I then removed the filter cover. The top bolt is a pain to get off. I ended up using a 1/4" drive regular socket on a joint socket adapter. See pic. In the pic is also the strait handle 1/4" driver, which I used with an extension, to put that bolt back on.
Getting that stupid bolt to Catch a thread and screw back in was a REAL PAIN. I do not like these bolts- they did not easily wrench back in- almost felt cross threaded. Anyway...

Next I dumped in 4 qts, plus a few more ounces for good luck. Started her up. Went through the gears and checked with my IR temp gun until the temp on the transmission body was about 100 degrees.

I then broke removed the overflow bolt. Fluid chugged out a bit at first, then slowed to a fine stream, at which time I replaced the plug.

In the photo with the filter removed, you can see the black washer which I pulled off before installing the new filter.

All in all, I did not think the fluid looked too bad... still looks kinda blue on my finger, and on the white cardboard...
I did not measure how much came out, but I would guess several ounces. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Rim
Wood Gas Rectangle Font Electric blue
Finger Gesture Wood Thumb Grass
Hand Automotive tire Household hardware Finger Rim
Automotive tire Line Font Automotive wheel system Road surface
White Composite material Tints and shades Road surface Wood

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,136 Posts
Good info.

Do you believe it was worth the effort to changing that filter?

I've run about 20 quarts of NS-3 through my 2019's CVT at this point. It's got about 57K miles on it currently. Did the first 4qt drain/fill at ~25K miles because it was bought as an ex-rental where 25K were put on it in about 11 months. I have not dropped the pan nor changed the filter in your pics. I'm not sure I want to.

Reactions: bubbaspf

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I thought it was a good idea to change the filter because I had not done fluid changes, the way you have. With your frequent fluid changes I would think you are just fine not changing the filter?

I wish I had changed tranny fluid before, but I was freaked out by prospect of screwing it up. After doing more research though, I decided to go for it.

Question about reading the temperature with one of those IR guns... where to get the best reading? I found the filter cover gets hot quickly... certainly faster than the steel pan that has the drain plug. Would you think the filter cup temp is closest to overall tranny fluid temp?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,136 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I thought it was a good idea to change the filter because I had not done fluid changes, the way you have. With your frequent fluid changes I would think you are just fine not changing the filter?

I wish I had changed tranny fluid before, but I was freaked out by prospect of screwing it up. After doing more research though, I decided to go for it.

Question about reading the temperature with one of those IR guns... where to get the best reading? I found the filter cover gets hot quickly... certainly faster than the steel pan that has the drain plug. Would you think the filter cup temp is closest to overall tranny fluid temp?
The factory service manual has you read the fluid temp with a scan tool. I would think reading bulk fluid temp from the pan with an IR gun would be close enough given the fairly wide range of temps Nissan specs. I forget the exact #s, but they're out there. I did mine with an IR gun as well on my very first drain/fill and double checked level with the overflow plug. Since then I drain 4qts and add 4qts, hot, warm or cold. I don't worry about the temperature.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know the proper way is to use the scan tool. (I think temps. should be 95-113 degrees F.) I gather there are Android apps like CVTz50 that can be used with some cheapo OBD2 devices that can show transmission temps. Been thinking of going that route- any suggestions?

I think I was close in temp range when I removed the overflow plug, let the fluid run out till it ran at a small stream, then replaced the plug...
Would too much (or not enough) fluid be purged if the temp was out of the recommended range?

Anyone have luck with these cheap OBD2 things?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I know the proper way is to use the scan tool. (I think temps. should be 95-113 degrees F.) I gather there are Android apps like CVTz50 that can be used with some cheapo OBD2 devices that can show transmission temps. Been thinking of going that route- any suggestions?

I think I was close in temp range when I removed the overflow plug, let the fluid run out till it ran at a small stream, then replaced the plug...
Would too much (or not enough) fluid be purged if the temp was out of the recommended range?

Anyone have luck with these cheap OBD2 things?

Thanks!
I use this one with cvtz50 to watch cvt temps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I got the BAFX OBD2 interface thingy. I also downloaded CVTZ50 demo app.
Connection to my Bluetooth was easy. Start of the car and open the app. Waited for the CVT temperature to reach about 104° f., At which time I loosened the overflow plug. I should also say that I added about an extra 8 oz of fresh NS3 fluid before starting this process, and while the car was warming up I shifted through the gears a couple of times.
When I drop the overflow plug, I got a decent stream of fluid coming out for several seconds. I replaced the plug when the flow was that what you see in the photo.

I ended up draining about 8 oz, which is probably about what I put in extra before I started this procedure.

Assuming the temperatures are accurate, I would recommend the BAFX device and CVTZ50 app.... Demo version seemed to be fine... Of course this is a combination of other people have recommended as well.

Thanks for looking. I am happy to add that so far I have had no problems with my transmission. Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly, pun intended. I do solemnly swear to drive this car gently and tow nothing! Finger Gesture Gadget Wrist Font

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts