Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Pathfinders. I just recently went on a 400 mile road trip. Chicago to Mall of America in Minnesota with a family of 4. Appx miles was 410. I filled up the tank and reset my trip computer before departure. I had it on 2WD mode throughout the trip. The ride went pretty well, I was running an average of 26-27mpg @ 65 to 70mph. We had 2 rest stops for food. I actually had about 25miles left on the VSD upon arrival. Pretty good. I average about 325 to 350 miles till empty both on city/highway before taking the trip. I was actually impress it surpassed the 400mile mark. When I filled up the tank in Minnesota, it filled up to 18.5G. So I guess it had an extra gallon left on the tank. I didn't experience any " judder or vibrations " to my destination and coming back home. Smooth ride, kids watching their movies with the headphones while I listen to my XM. I have a longer road trip in a month, driving to Florida. Will post my travel experience then.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Curious what your driving style is like. Would you say your really good with being conservative about your fuel consumption. How was traffic going too and from your destination?

This and many more things contribute to the gas mileage you get.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello fellow Pathfinders. I just recently went on a 400 mile road trip. Chicago to Mall of America in Minnesota with a family of 4. Appx miles was 410. I filled up the tank and reset my trip computer before departure. I had it on 2WD mode throughout the trip. The ride went pretty well, I was running an average of 26-27mpg @ 65 to 70mph. We had 2 rest stops for food. I actually had about 25miles left on the VSD upon arrival. Pretty good. I average about 325 to 350 miles till empty both on city/highway before taking the trip. I was actually impress it surpassed the 400mile mark. When I filled up the tank in Minnesota, it filled up to 18.5G. So I guess it had an extra gallon left on the tank. I didn't experience any " judder or vibrations " to my destination and coming back home. Smooth ride, kids watching their movies with the headphones while I listen to my XM. I have a longer road trip in a month, driving to Florida. Will post my travel experience then.
So you drove over 480 miles on one tank to average over 26mpg? Wow wish I could get that!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I would say I'm a little conservative. The only time I would have a heavy foot is surpassing the semi trucks. My wife is a little more aggressive than I am. I didn't even use the cruise control.

As for the 2nd post, I wish I reached 480 miles. I was a little over 400miles maybe 405 till the needle hit the empty marker but the VDS read 25miles left

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have noticed no measurable diffence in running in 2WD and running in AUTO. Which on dry roads I would not expect to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes I would say I'm a little conservative. The only time I would have a heavy foot is surpassing the semi trucks. My wife is a little more aggressive than I am. I didn't even use the cruise control.

As for the 2nd post, I wish I reached 480 miles. I was a little over 400miles maybe 405 till the needle hit the empty marker but the VDS read 25miles left
I'm confused on how you achieved 26-27 mpg with only driving 405 miles and filling up with 18.5 gallons. Unfortunately the VSD is wrong and you have to do your own calculations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the confusion guys, I was just going by what the screen was telling me. It did go a little above 400miles like I said. I was just ecstatic because on a full tank with city/highway here in Chicago I only averaged 325-350 when the needle reading hits the empty mark. I'm up to 3000 miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
22 is quite a bit different than 26-27. I can't imagine the Nissan MPG calculation to be that far off. Something is fishy here.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
27mpg is good. Too bad you never get that in the city :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sucks that the Pathfinder's VSD is off, has anyone here that noticed they have a faulty VSD taken their Pathfinders to the dealer to see what the guys at the dealership have to say?

Maybe they need to recalibrate the computer or something to get it reading on point again?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry for the confusion guys, I was just going by what the screen was telling me. It did go a little above 400miles like I said. I was just ecstatic because on a full tank with city/highway here in Chicago I only averaged 325-350 when the needle reading hits the empty mark. I'm up to 3000 miles on the vehicle.
I have noticed mine to be off but no more than 1.5 mpg. I have seen it climb to almost 26 at times but then it would fall back around 24. I have never seen any vehicle to be spot on so I would imagine Nissan would not have a fix unless there is a tolerance which yours seems to be way off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My friend was able to get 800+ km from a trip in northern michigan/wisconsin. Mostly flat but he did get over 500 miles on one tank. He has the Platinum 4x4 and kept in in 2x and cruised at 62.5 mph

·
Registered
186 Posts
My friend was able to get 800+ km from a trip in northern michigan/wisconsin. Mostly flat but he did get over 500 miles on one tank. He has the Platinum 4x4 and kept in in 2x and cruised at 62.5 mph
assuming not including the 1 gallon emergency reserve was used to get 500 miles that equates to about 27.2 MPG..impressive indeed! I have seen other posts as well including myself with similar results so it looks like those of us who drive on the highway often will be quite happy. However many of us like myself who do much more city driving especially with the family shuttle mode in full blast naturally get varied results. On average my trips are under 8 miles with two kids in car seats, climate control, use of seat ventilation, rolling terrain, stop and go traffic, use of power outlets/ tvs, and remote start. My wife and I are the model for extreme MPG killing but Even under these louse conditions the worst I have ever got was 16.5 and usually get right around 18mpg. On the highway I am usually around 24.5 using all the toys the pathfinder has to offer and I am thrilled with this. This is still much better than what I got on extended test drives with other SUVs. It seems that the CVT does outstanding on highway mode when it can best control RPMs and about average or better than most on city driving.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I look forward to going on a long road trip to see just how many miles I can get on one tank. The only long trip I took was driving back from Carmax in Maryland to NC. I did not reset the computer or know exactly how much gas was in the tank when I left. On that trip I got 24.6 MPG and I was hauling tail at about 78-79 MPH. Plus I had the stop and go traffic to deal with until I got out of DC. I was really impressed with those numbers. I always leave mine on AUTO though.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took a trip last weekend to Disneyland in Anaheim, CA from Dublin, Ca - averaged 25.1 MPG, calculated after i filled up. I averaged about 70mph with a couple of pitstops to get food and rest areas. This is very good and should get better after a few more thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I took a trip last weekend to Disneyland in Anaheim, CA from Dublin, Ca - averaged 25.1 MPG, calculated after i filled up. I averaged about 70mph with a couple of pitstops to get food and rest areas. This is very good and should get better after a few more thousand miles.
How many miles are on your Pathfinder?

Have you been consistent been keeping track of the MPG's you've been getting on it since new?

If you have I think it is safe to say over time, gas mileage will improve?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got my Black / Almond SL 4WD on Tuesday. I really like it.
I do have a question. I expected 1450 rpm @ 60 mph from what I have read.
It runs at 1550 rpm @ 60 ( even with a tail wind on a level road). I used a gps to be sure the speed was accurate. Will this change with more miles or could this be a Canadian model thing. Or did I read wrong.
Thanks
Harvey

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just got my Black / Almond SL 4WD on Tuesday. I really like it.
I do have a question. I expected 1450 rpm @ 60 mph from what I have read.
It runs at 1550 rpm @ 60 ( even with a tail wind on a level road). I used a gps to be sure the speed was accurate. Will this change with more miles or could this be a Canadian model thing. Or did I read wrong.
Thanks
Harvey
Mine revs around 1550 @ 60 MPH. I think it's normal. I'm not in Canada either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts