Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just purchased a 2013 plat. premium pathfinder and noticed I'm averaging 16 MPG. I've only driven it about 300 miles. Now its advertised that I should be averaging at least 19 to 20 city.

Has anyone else experienced this dip in MPG?

·
Registered
34 Posts
We're about 350 miles into ownership, averaging a little over 20mpg. Mainly highway, and since I live in Oklahoma, mainly flat highway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me Too

I'm still waiting and I'm at 560 miles. 16.6 on the computer. Since I have to get the CVT looked at I'll see if the dealer can find the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
It's not even close to breaking in. Give it time.

It also matters as to whether you're tracking from the cumulative average (in the VID) or whether you're actually dividing miles traveled by gallons added after a fill-up.

You'll notice that in the VID MPG summary, your average speed might say "25", when you drive it religiously on the highway at 70MPH - this is because it's factoring in time spent idling at the dealer and things like that.

Here's a post I put in another thread that has a lot of good information for getting your mileage up:

http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/660-post9.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
I read your other post, but thought that my follow-up fit better in this thread labeled MPG.

So I've read to keep it in 2WD instead of Auto. But PROVIDED THAT Auto doesn't ever kick into 4WD mode, is it any less fuel efficient than 2WD mode?

In other words, does the fact that it is in "standby" mode affect gas mileage? Or is it just that the act of occasionally switching into 4WD mode, and you're not realizing it, is what is affecting mileage?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I read your other post, but thought that my follow-up fit better in this thread labeled MPG.

So I've read to keep it in 2WD instead of Auto. But PROVIDED THAT Auto doesn't ever kick into 4WD mode, is it any less fuel efficient than 2WD mode?

In other words, does the fact that it is in "standby" mode affect gas mileage? Or is it just that the act of occasionally switching into 4WD mode, and you're not realizing it, is what is affecting mileage?
Well, the 4WD isn't strictly reactive - you'll notice that it kicks in every time you make a start from a dead stop, at least 15-20% torque is sent to the rear wheels. If it's in 2WD, it's operating in FWD mode all the time, which should be more efficient.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I find that after the 3rd oil change mileage gets better. Also to consider is that winter blends of gasoline aren't as fuel efficient. Cars in general aren't as efficient in winter.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I find that after the 3rd oil change mileage gets better. Also to consider is that winter blends of gasoline aren't as fuel efficient. Cars in general aren't as efficient in winter.
That's a really good point.

When the ambient temps are low, your car takes significantly longer to get into its "efficiency zone" (i.e. fully warmed up). Add in winter-blend gas, and sometimes much lower temps, and you've got a recipe for a good 2-3MPG reduction.

Generally most engines aren't completely broken in until 8000 miles or so. Nissan says to go easy on it (keep the RPMs under 4K) for the first 1500 miles, but that doesn't mean it's fully broken in at that point.

What I think will end up hurting the PF the most in terms of consumer perception of efficiency is that the mainstream models all seem to come with remote start. Remote start is the sworn enemy of gas mileage. If your car is sitting idling, it is burning gas and achieving 0MPG for sustained periods. Factor that into the average for the tank, and it's a death blow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's a really good point.

When the ambient temps are low, your car takes significantly longer to get into its "efficiency zone" (i.e. fully warmed up). Add in winter-blend gas, and sometimes much lower temps, and you've got a recipe for a good 2-3MPG reduction.

Generally most engines aren't completely broken in until 8000 miles or so. Nissan says to go easy on it (keep the RPMs under 4K) for the first 1500 miles, but that doesn't mean it's fully broken in at that point.

What I think will end up hurting the PF the most in terms of consumer perception of efficiency is that the mainstream models all seem to come with remote start. Remote start is the sworn enemy of gas mileage. If your car is sitting idling, it is burning gas and achieving 0MPG for sustained periods. Factor that into the average for the tank, and it's a death blow.
I actually wondered why car makers don't let customers know how many miles it will take till they see their vehicle getting the gas mileage it was rated for. Under 4k for 1500 miles for engine break in is great but how many till we see whats on paper will help.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Another factor is tires. Tires alone can cause a drastic drop in mileage. As much as 5mpg (but likely not for regular tires - more for high performance track tires)

Winter tires I find generally decrease mileage as well. The winter tires + driving in snow and ice = another 2-3mpg drop. So add that with the gas blend and the engine that hasn't broken in and you could see a drop in mileage of 6mpg or more because it's winter.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Another factor is tires. Tires alone can cause a drastic drop in mileage. As much as 5mpg (but likely not for regular tires - more for high performance track tires)

Winter tires I find generally decrease mileage as well. The winter tires + driving in snow and ice = another 2-3mpg drop. So add that with the gas blend and the engine that hasn't broken in and you could see a drop in mileage of 6mpg or more because it's winter.
winter tires are much heavier than regular summer or all season tires.

also not having the proper tire air pressure can cause an MPG loss, from my experience it's only been with excessive loss of air, not just a few PSI.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As I have posted on another topic, I am getting good miles.. only 300 miles so far. With my wife and kid in the car, I do mostly highway driving... I am getting this..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get 16mpg city driving in San Diego. I am sure I could squeeze 20+mpg if I set it to cruise at 60-70mph on a freeway trip to Vegas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am on my 3rd tank on my SL Platinum. My wife drives to school and back (7 miles each way) and some around town driving. Getting 16 to 17 mpg. Hope this improves,

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a very set driving routine that includes mostly 2 lane highway at 65mph. We consistently averaged 22mpg up until our first oil change @ 3800 miles. That average is up to 26.2 now. I couldn't believe the drastic change after the oil change.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Added K&N filter with good results on MPG

I replaced the air filter on my Platinum with a K&N Air Filter after driving through my first tank (it does not void warranty and against law for manufacturers to say so unless they give you a free air filter every time) Upon making change I saw an immediate and consistent 2+ MPG improvement on my car for city over same routine/driving conditions over previous week. Considering this is a part that was only $50 you will make your money back asap. You also get an HP boost although K&N has not posted official certifications numbers yet on their site regarding exactly how much. One of the best upgrades you can make if MPG is your thing!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't comment on Pathfinder mileage yet - only 38 miles on my new one. My 370Z has the same electronics and I consistently get 20 - 21 calculated mpg around town, though EPA rating is 18. Anywhere from 26 - 29 mpg on long highway runs. I reset the mileage at every fill-up, and just take it easy (except for that occasional blast past some idiot . . .) Calculated mileage is within .1 - .2 mpg when I do a manual calculation (miles/gallons). Of course, every fuel pump is probably off a few 10ths of a gallon either way as well. I'll report on Pathfinder mpg when I have something to report.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't understand why Nissan (or any other manufacturer) includes this milage feature because it's not accurate and only leads to dissapointment. Calculating fuel consumption isn't straight forward because it's an average for a period of time under specific driving conditions for city and highway driving. It seems that the milage that is displayed is the instant milage measured at that time and should be used in this manner. When I drive on the highway/city I reset the guage and compare that first 5 or so readings with what's advertised as the PF fuel economy ... it's pretty close.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My dealer said to wait until the car reaches 4,000 miles - that is the end of the cars "learning period". By then, you mileage will settle in. I'm seeing a pretty consistent 20/27 and I'm at 5,550 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts