Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a solution to monitoring CVT temps while driving? I've perused most of the threads regarding it, but nobody seemed to have anything that worked. I have the Torque Pro app and it displays trans temp BUT it is only displaying the engine coolant temperature numbers, as they stay identical always. So maybe someone has a custom pid to get the correct data. Anyone try cvtz50? I see one review that says it worked on a 2016 pathfinder, but not sure if it actually reads the correct data . Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
686 Posts
Hopefully someone will chime in. I have read of some aftermarket solutions where people were able to read this temp with aftermarket apps and scanners IIRC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is there a specific elm unit required to run this on our pathfinder?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a specific elm unit required to run this on our pathfinder?
Nothing special. I'm using the same one that i bought 8 years ago for a Chevy Cobalt! I do believe they are hit and miss with quality though, so find one that works and keep it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,523 Posts
Well, it's not like I have a bunch to choose from... I also have this one that I use on my Ford on Forscan, it has MS-CAN and HS-CAN but I do not have any software for Nissan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's not like I have a bunch to choose from... I also have this one that I use on my Ford on Forscan, it has MS-CAN and HS-CAN but I do not have any software for Nissan.
Of course. I guess what I'm saying is that the app works, so a new Bluetooth device is your solution.

·
Super Moderator
2,523 Posts
Reading the specs of that one, it says it works with ALL OBDII protocols. I got mine of eBay in 2016 and got the cheapest one, I believe it was this one. This one says SOME.

I now wonder if that is why some custom gauges I installed in Torque to read AWD%, Boost and Knock for my SHO never worked because of that...

Ordered, thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The CVTz50 spec says version v1.5 is required, not v2.1.
I purchased a v 1.5, ran demo, then purchased the full CVTz50.
Thanks to moderator for fixing the pictures.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I found this to be a good article in choosing an OBD2 adaptor, still haven't bought one, but now at least I know what to avoid

I was looking at this one as it mentioned US Chip

and maybe this one, but don't know if the extra $$ worth it ?

·
Super Moderator
2,523 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it yesterday, just tested it and was able to read the temperature. Thanks for sharing the link.

It is larger than any other one I've seen, might be in the way if used during driving.
Yea it's not a small piece. Have to watch your foot getting in and out. The path location for the port is the closest to the brake pedal that I've ever seen also, doesn't help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So been running the ELM and cvtz50.
have some screen shots while on freeway. 90F ambient.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pulled my 900lb 6x12 enclosed trailer down the nys thruway over the weekend about 280mi each direction. Heading west friday winds were out of the south and ambient temps around 80F. Around 400lb in the trailer. Cruised a lot at 67mph and saw around 11.5mpg on the dic, no hand calc, cvt temps 190-205. The trip back heading east found a stout east wind in my face and ambient temps around 45F. Around 1300lb in the trailer. Cruised at 65-67 and saw 9.8mpg on the dic, 8.7 hand calc first tank, second tank did some drafting big rigs and saw 9.3 hand calc. Cvt temps on this direction 168-178.

What I take from this is that my trailer is a parachute, and that I'm lucky most of my trailering is when ambient temps will be sub 40F as they really help to cool the trans. Guys with much larger travel trailers must be boiling that fluid during the heat of summer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts