Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pathfinder had 35K miles and I took it in to Nissan for an oil change and a Transmission Flush on 4/9. Yesterday I lifted the hood and found this part up near the cowling. It looks like some sort of plug as it has an o-ring on the round part. Rectangle part looks like an electrical cover. Tried blowing into it and no airflow. Does anyone know what this is and where it goes?
Pathfinder Part 1.png
Pathfinder Part 2.png
Pathfinder Part 3.png

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,788 Posts
That is the plug for the CVT fill tube. Where all other vehicles have a dipstick, the PF has that plug.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh great. So where does that go? I looked around but didn't see an open hole.

[Edit] I Googled it and found where it went. Thanks jman. Now I will contact the dealer and let them know that if anything happens to my CVT, I will blame it on this and they will fix/replace at no cost to me. Will also ask them if they suggest it needs to be flushed again since that cap has been off for 2.5 weeks. Again, this will be on their dime.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,614 Posts
Oh great. So where does that go? I looked around but didn't see an open hole.

[Edit] I Googled it and found where it went. Thanks jman. Now I will contact the dealer and let them know that if anything happens to my CVT, I will blame it on this and they will fix/replace at no cost to me. Will also ask them if they suggest it needs to be flushed again since that cap has been off for 2.5 weeks. Again, this will be on their dime.
You may want to give them an opportunity to insert the plug back themselves so that you have it documented that they missed re-installing it. Otherwise, it's just your word against theirs.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent them a message yesterday with the pics asking them what it was as I found it on the cowl. Just sent another telling them what I found and replace it. Still my word against theirs but I will save those messages.
If I drove back and asked them to replace it, they could still say I took it off and it would still be my word against theirs.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,788 Posts
So, there wasn't another one already installed? Sometimes the techs misplace them and get another one from the parts department.
IMO, there was no harm, transmissions are not true sealed units, they have breathers installed to allow air to escape when it heats up and expands. The plug there prevents debris and water to get in through the filling tube. So unless you recently drove through a dirt road or washed the engine, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
899 Posts
Unbelievable.

If you pay dealer prices for service, you expect the best of the best and you get that. Exactly why I do all fluid changes myself, including the CVT.

I once had a transmission shop forget to put the plug back on the tube for the 62TE trans in our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. I paid them to do a pan drop, filter change and ATF refill.

I discovered the missing cap as soon as I got home and called the shop. The owner immediately send the tech that did the job to my home w/ a replacement cap.

Months later when I was doing a brake job on the van, the OEM cap fell out of the front left wheel well area. LOL.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I did do 1 dirt road and I pulled my 2000-2500lb boat about 60 miles while it was off.
Spoke to the service manager. They want me to bring it in to take a look. Might want to re-flush it again but wants to look at it first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Pathfinder had 35K miles and I took it in to Nissan for an oil change and a Transmission Flush on 4/9. Yesterday I lifted the hood and found this part up near the cowling. It looks like some sort of plug as it has an o-ring on the round part. Rectangle part looks like an electrical cover. Tried blowing into it and no airflow. Does anyone know what this is and where it goes? View attachment 16016 View attachment 16017 View attachment 16018
I have to ask. Why a transmission flush at 35k? I have 58k on my 2017 and all maintenance at dealer. They haven't suggested anything to do with the CVT although I'm expecting some discussion at 60k. I drive it easy and seldom around big cities.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have to ask. Why a transmission flush at 35k? I have 58k on my 2017 and all maintenance at dealer. They haven't suggested anything to do with the CVT although I'm expecting some discussion at 60k. I drive it easy and seldom around big cities.
It's due to discussions on this form (2019 Pathfinder CVT fluid drain/fill. | Nissan Pathfinder Forum (pathfindertalk.com) ). Some have suggested replacing CVT fluid every 30K miles. When I read that, I had just had my 30K service. I'm a person that holds on to cars until they die. Hoping all the CVT issues were corrected by 2017 but thought I'd be safe not sorry.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
899 Posts
I've not heard of any shop recommending a "fluid flush" or exchange on a CVT. They tend to quote a drain/fill, which may or may not include a pan drop and filter change.

Like said in many threads here, if you're up to the task and don't mind doing things yourself like oil changes, a CVT fluid drain/fill is easier than an engine oil change on a Pathfinder. ~4qts come out. 4qts of NS-3 or suitable go back in. Simple. Does this guarantee your CVT is going to last longer? Who knows. I like to think it does.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure it was a flush. Only reason I said flush is I saw them drain and refill then ran in 4WD for a couple minutes the drain and refill again. May not have been a flush. Charge was ~$175 ($205 for oil change w/filter and this change).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like the ol' drain and fill to me. The manual states to do it twice like that since not much comes out compared to what it holds. I usually suggest them at 60k, with the transfer case, and rear diff.

Really, I'd just follow what the manual recommends.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts