Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. At the gas station. Top off the tank. Zero out BOTH fuel economy locations. Immediately hop on the highway and start averaging 25+ MPG.

Miles to empty reads: 322

Say what? Remember I've got 19.5 gallons of gas in the tank. I'm averaging over 25MPG. It should read close to 500 miles. Nope... 322.

For what possible reason? I don't need to know that I might get 322 miles if I'm averaging what my wife averages throughout the week. I need to know how far I can go ON THIS TRIP. And on this trip my average is 25+.

I'm really not happy with whatever "suit" made that decision. It was a bad one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That tank is not full all the way or the computer is wrong and will adjust as you drive. (example as you drive say 10 miles the Distance to empty will go down 1 mile)

·
Registered
215 Posts
The computer is basing range off of past fill ups and driving mpg. Once you drive on highway about 100 miles the range will update for the recent driving pattern.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The computer is basing range off of past fill ups and driving mpg. Once you drive on highway about 100 miles the range will update for the recent driving pattern.
I understand that. Exactly the wrong way to do it. If I want it to base it off "recent" driving mgp I'd leave the MPG calculators alone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That tank is not full all the way or the computer is wrong and will adjust as you drive. (example as you drive say 10 miles the Distance to empty will go down 1 mile)
That's true, it adjusts slowly but at no time does it show my actual range. Which makes this function useless.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I see no way a computer can with any great accuracy calculate how many miles your tank will go empty. Way too many constantly changing variables. The computer would have to recalculate every fraction of a second over the entire life of the tank of gas. That may be asking too much. In the end we will end up doing what we always have fill up when the low fuel light comes on or earlier if we are in an area scarce in gas stations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The reason that they program it that way is to lessen the likelihood that it will leave you stranded somewhere out of fuel. I understand how you want to use it, but they're thinking lowest common denominator.

Otherwise, you fuel up, reset it and hit the highway, and it says 500 miles to empty...then after 100 miles, you go into the City, and all the sudden it precipitiously drops and calls to the dealer ensue.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The miles to empty is just an estimation. Its not accurate at all. In some cars I've driven 50 miles at 0 miles on the indicator.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Third fill-up - checked mileage manually vs. the caluculated mileage (miles driven / gallons pumped). I was pleased to see it was dead on, to the second decimal point. So far I'm getting 19 mpg around town, 23.5 mpg on the highway. That's with a 4x4. Still under 1000 miles, so I'm hoping to see an increase as the engine breaks in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Third fill-up - checked mileage manually vs. the caluculated mileage (miles driven / gallons pumped). I was pleased to see it was dead on, to the second decimal point. So far I'm getting 19 mpg around town, 23.5 mpg on the highway. That's with a 4x4. Still under 1000 miles, so I'm hoping to see an increase as the engine breaks in.
Glad to see as everyone continues to break in their Pathfinders that MPG continues to improve and be accurate. If you are getting 19mpg in city I do not think we will get much better than that. I am getting consistently between 24-26 highway around my way which are rarely ever flat and wind through mountains. I did get 27.2 on a flat non-stop highway trip with cruise control at 72mph over 100 miles. Im very happy with that considering I only have 1200 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts