Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My 2013 Pf is showing Maintenance: Oil and Filter and Maintenance: Tire. These are showing in the main display between the Speedo and Rev Counter.

I presume it is time for an oil and filter change?

What is required for Maintenance: Tire? Is it simply tire rotation?

Grateful for all guidance馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mileage/maintenance intervals can be defined by the user so I guess it all depends on how it was set.
Aye. The Alerts and Intervals themselves I dont have a problem with. Its the meaning of Maintenance: Tire and what is required to be done?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, oil change and tire rotation. The intervals can be changed, but 5k miles is good with synthetic oil and rotations.
Thanks.

Back home in Scotland, the oil and filter change intervals were 10,000 miles. Why in the US is it 5,000 miles? New Jersey was the same

Registered
Hi,

My 2013 Pf is showing Maintenance: Oil and Filter and Maintenance: Tire. These are showing in the main display between the Speedo and Rev Counter.

I presume it is time for an oil and filter change?

What is required for Maintenance: Tire? Is it simply tire rotation?

Grateful for all guidance馃檪
Your oil/filter/tire rotation interval warnings are triggered automatically when your intervals are reached. When you have your oil changed or tires rotated you also need to reset the corresponding counter (read in your owner manual as to how to do this yourself). You can also modify the interval lengths by using you console menu system.

Another strong opinion I have... oil change intervals for Nissans using "conventional" oils have been 3,750 for bad conditions driving and 7,500 for normal conditions. Unless you drive dusty gravel roads day in and day out you fall into the normal conditions category like 99+% of Americans. Most service locations (dealers included) specify much shorter intervals as there is no incentive (money) for you to service your vehicle less often. Yes, fresh oil will always be "good" for your engine but with today's engine tolerances and today's quality oils this hold over from days gone by is simply not good advice. We waste a lot of oil on too frequent oil change services. Additionally, if you are using synthetic oils the oil change interval should be even longer. Do some research (internet is good) and you can verify this suggestion. I believe synthetic oil will easily provide excellent protection for 10,000+ miles. Talk with a service dealer and if they don't agree ask them to put it in writing how and why you're harming your engine...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your oil/filter/tire rotation interval warnings are triggered automatically when your intervals are reached. When you have your oil changed or tires rotated you also need to reset the corresponding counter (read in your owner manual as to how to do this yourself). You can also modify the interval lengths by using you console menu system.

Another strong opinion I have... oil change intervals for Nissans using "conventional" oils have been 3,750 for bad conditions driving and 7,500 for normal conditions. Unless you drive dusty gravel roads day in and day out you fall into the normal conditions category like 99+% of Americans. Most service locations (dealers included) specify much shorter intervals as there is no incentive (money) for you to service your vehicle less often. Yes, fresh oil will always be "good" for your engine but with today's engine tolerances and today's quality oils this hold over from days gone by is simply not good advice. We waste a lot of oil on too frequent oil change services. Additionally, if you are using synthetic oils the oil change interval should be even longer. Do some research (internet is good) and you can verify this suggestion. I believe synthetic oil will easily provide excellent protection for 10,000+ miles. Talk with a service dealer and if they don't agree ask them to put it in writing how and why you're harming your engine...
Thanks for this it echoes my own thoughts. 3000/5000/7500 all seem rather too frequent for an oil change. Many swear by very frequent oil changes. Although I disagree, if it makes someone happy and gives a warm fuzzy feeling, thats good. I also take and agree with your point regarding oil wastage.

Your point requesting a written explanation from a dealer is also very interesting (it made me chuckle)

Thanks for your post馃檪

Registered
2016 Pathfinder SV AWD

Thanks for this it echoes my own thoughts. 3000/5000/7500 all seem rather too frequent for an oil change. Many swear by very frequent oil changes. Although I disagree, if it makes someone happy and gives a warm fuzzy feeling, thats good. I also take and agree with your point regarding oil wastage.

Your point requesting a written explanation from a dealer is also very interesting (it made me chuckle)

Thanks for your post馃檪
you need only check your oil once in a while at a fillup and see how it is doing.

it is not an oil analysis, but you can see the color and or soot, and you can take a whiff.

Still, no good reason to go beyind 5000 miles even with synthetic.

I had the last oil change at 1500 miles. Why?

Pandemic.

Wife hardly drove it and I took it out once a week for a good 20 minutes.

6 months had gone by and only 1500 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need only check your oil once in a while at a fillup and see how it is doing.

it is not an oil analysis, but you can see the color and or soot, and you can take a whiff.

Still, no good reason to go beyind 5000 miles even with synthetic.

I had the last oil change at 1500 miles. Why?

Pandemic.

Wife hardly drove it and I took it out once a week for a good 20 minutes.

6 months had gone by and only 1500 miles.
Used to have similar discussions when I rode Harleys. Some of those guys changed oil like every 5 minutes 馃槃 As I said, if it gives a feeling, warm n fuzzy, and its thought to be the right thing to do, then why not.馃檪

Registered
Just go by the manual. If you want to go longer, get a sample checked out by Blackstone labs and see if you can go longer. Shops usually take a loss doing oil changes, so don't think there is some sort of money grab going on there. Mm pay people go those 10k intervals and don't realize how much they've lost over that period of time, and it's is much worse. When the sludge builds up, good luck telling the manufacturer that it didn't happen because you double the oil change interval, and they have to prove it wasn't the reason you want them to pay for the replacement engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts