Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i've had my pathfinder for a little over a month now, currently have put about 1100 miles on it, and as much as i love the ride and thankfully haven't had any of the loss of power or shudders, the gas economy isn't were i thought it was going to be. I know that it is rare for the mpg be exactly as advertised, but my pathfinder has not gone over 17mpg, even when driving just in the hwy. When i saw 20/26 i though that even getting 20 combined would be good enough for me, but 16.5-16.8 seems a little too low. Is any one else experiencing this issue? I've used exxon, bp and now shell, all premium, and still less than 17mph.

Thanks!

My pf: Platinum premium 4wd dark slate w/charcoal interior

·
Registered
123 Posts
That is not my experience. i'm getting 19.x around town and 22-23 combined. If on the hwy, and I reset my trip display while at cruise speed (70-75), I can hit 27-28 pretty easily on a long trip. I have the 4x4, but leave it in 2WD most the time. Try the mid-grade fuel, you don't need the higher octane rating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ill try the mid-grade fuel, and i too have it on 2wd most of the time. Do you think its the premium fuel causing the propblem? Or just something else?

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is not my experience. i'm getting 19.x around town and 22-23 combined. If on the hwy, and I reset my trip display while at cruise speed (70-75), I can hit 27-28 pretty easily on a long trip. I have the 4x4, but leave it in 2WD most the time. Try the mid-grade fuel, you don't need the higher octane rating.
Is this the trip computer or your calculations? Mine can also show in the high 26's but after actual calculation its more like 24.5 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this the trip computer or your calculations? Mine can also show in the high 26's but after actual calculation its more like 24.5 or so.
even worse, by my calculations its even less, im getting 300 miles tops out of a full tank. Which is around 15mpg. Does anyone have any idea why this may be. I try to drive just a little over speed limit, not speeding or anything. :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks, ill try the mid-grade fuel, and i too have it on 2wd most of the time. Do you think its the premium fuel causing the propblem? Or just something else?
It can. But not necessarily. In some instances, in cars over the years I have seen that a car req. low octane, gets lower mpg when filled with high octane. I have no scientific proof of that. But it is really easy to test. Put in a few low octane fillups, and have a look. I get 20 in city consistently, and 25-26 on the highway. If that does not help, take it in to your dealer, and have him reflash the ecu.....check your intake airfilter, and have him verify the Mass airflow sensor is good.

Erling

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It can. But not necessarily. In some instances, in cars over the years I have seen that a car req. low octane, gets lower mpg when filled with high octane. I have no scientific proof of that. But it is really easy to test. Put in a few low octane fillups, and have a look. I get 20 in city consistently, and 25-26 on the highway. If that does not help, take it in to your dealer, and have him reflash the ecu.....check your intake airfilter, and have him verify the Mass airflow sensor is good.

Erling
Awesome thanks, I will do that... thanks for your input! I'm tired of hearing everyone talk about getting higher mpg's than me! :eek: Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hope most of you realize the recommended gas for the pathfinder is 87 octane regular fuel. If you're putting in mid grade or premium you are wasting money and probably losing some mpg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
^^^Precisely. The manual recommends 87 so that's all mine gets and mpg's have been more than pleasing...22-23 combined. I think higher octane=higher mpg's (at least concerning vehicles rated for 87) is a common misconception, kinda like I often hear people say running a tank of 93 every once in a while cleans your fuel system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
octane rating

Higher octane ratings are often misunderstood. Here's how it works: The higher the octane rating the slower and more controlled the "explosion" or burn is. There is a minimum octane for engines so that the burn does not happen too quickly to transfer energy to the piston, crankshaft, transmission, differential and finally the wheels. Why are there three grades then? Most vehicles are designed for 87 octane and have their timing set for the shorter duration of the burn. High performance vehicles need higher octane because their timing is set up for the longer duration of the burn by starting the "explosion" sooner and using the burn duration more efficiently.
What does that mean for the consumer? If your manufacturer recommends 92 octane you will damage the engine using 87 octane or at the very least, you will feel a loss of performance as the engine delays the start of the "explosion" in order to protect itself from damage. If your manufacturer recommends 87 octane, using 92 octane won't hurt the engine, but you will not see performance enhanced since the engine does not have to protect itself and won't advance the timing of the "explosion" to compensate for the longer burn time. Fuel mileage may suffer as the fuel is still burning after it is needed for power.

As for running 92 octane to clean out the engine, I have been informed that gas companies add more cleaners to the premium fuel as well as octane enhancers. The base gasoline is the same as 87 octane prior to the additive packages that are introduced to make the three grades. does that make it wise to run a tank of premium once in a while? No, if you want to clean out your fuel system, add a bottle of fuel system cleaner and skip the octane enhancers found in premium fuel (they don't help any anyways).

·
Registered
151 Posts
As for running 92 octane to clean out the engine, I have been informed that gas companies add more cleaners to the premium fuel as well as octane enhancers. The base gasoline is the same as 87 octane prior to the additive packages that are introduced to make the three grades. does that make it wise to run a tank of premium once in a while? No, if you want to clean out your fuel system, add a bottle of fuel system cleaner and skip the octane enhancers found in premium fuel (they don't help any anyways).
I totally agree. I've seen advertisements at various stations about the cleaning agents in their fuels showing a cruddy valve next to a clean valve. I know it's a marketing ploy but what they don't tell consumers is it takes multiple, consecutive fill-up for those cleaning agents to have any effect...and I really doubt they could ever do as we'll as a good fuel sys cleaner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cleaning agents are MOSTLY bullshit. You are still paying for a gallon of gasoline but getting 95% gas 5% supposed cleaners.

And people need to stop looking at the MPG gauge which is horrible inaccurate. The only way to get the right figure is to divide the trip mileage on that tank by the gallons pumped on the next pick up.

As for octane don't waste your money. The Pathfinder engine is tuned for 87 Octane, putting anything higher is a waste of money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
And people need to stop looking at the MPG gauge which is horrible inaccurate. The only way to get the right figure is to divide the trip mileage on that tank by the gallons pumped on the next pick up.
Some people say theirs registers very close to the actual mpg's...mine doesn't. If I went by the "lie-o-meter" on my vehicle then I should be getting 27 mpg's consistently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Low MPG in city/highway - sudden drop in MPG in the last month

Hello - I have the 2013 PF base model and while I have not had any issues (that I am aware) with the car yet, I noticed that my MPG drastically dropped in the last month or so. On a long trip (LA to Las Vegas) - I had EXCELLENT mpg (trip miles over gas tank capacity -the display computer has never been right to begin with) - and ever since I got back to LA from the trip, I can barely get 295 miles in the city from 19.5 gallons and I don't even sit in traffic and most of the time I drive solo! I am using 87 octane fuel - any suggestions for me? Do I need to bring this up to the dealer's attention? Any suggestions would be appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello - I have the 2013 PF base model and while I have not had any issues (that I am aware) with the car yet, I noticed that my MPG drastically dropped in the last month or so. On a long trip (LA to Las Vegas) - I had EXCELLENT mpg (trip miles over gas tank capacity -the display computer has never been right to begin with) - and ever since I got back to LA from the trip, I can barely get 295 miles in the city from 19.5 gallons and I don't even sit in traffic and most of the time I drive solo! I am using 87 octane fuel - any suggestions for me? Do I need to bring this up to the dealer's attention? Any suggestions would be appreciated.:confused:
Two possible explainations: 1. Changeover to winter grade gas and 2. colder weather. Of course, a long highway trip versus city driving will make a drastic difference in gas mileage. Still, only getting nearly 300 miles per tankful is quite low approx 16 mpg. Have you been idling while waiting for fast-food lately? Is the a/c running even after you shut the defrosters off? Are you accelerating/decelerating hard to get to work on time. Did you change where you buy your gas? Many small changes can affect gas mileage negatively.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two possible explainations: 1. Changeover to winter grade gas and 2. colder weather. Of course, a long highway trip versus city driving will make a drastic difference in gas mileage. Still, only getting nearly 300 miles per tankful is quite low approx 16 mpg. Have you been idling while waiting for fast-food lately? Is the a/c running even after you shut the defrosters off? Are you accelerating/decelerating hard to get to work on time. Did you change where you buy your gas? Many small changes can affect gas mileage negatively.
Thanks for the reply: no changes that I can think of. In LA the temperature is pretty much the same this time of the year. I take my hidden streets from home to work (6.2 miles each way) and generally drive with over 25 mph (closer to 35). Not idling - I know that eats up gas like crazy, no A/C - luckily I don't need it, no defrosters, trying to avoid hard accelerations .. can't think of anything different other than this last fill up is more like 260 miles for a tank of gas! Scheduled a check up at the dealer on Saturday, see what they say. Very weird. Same route and habits as earlier, yet I somehow lost over 100 miles from a full tank of gas.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My City\Hwy average is 22.8. When I went on long highway trips I did a reset on the counter and usually get 26-29 depending on the speed. I also calculated my avg based on fill ups and the computer readings seem to be very close. Very happy so far. I usually keep it in 2WD option.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My mixed city/Hwy mileage is about 19- not great
Another thread here about fuel economy helped me to discover fuelly, which I have been using for the last 3 fill-ups. I estimate that I am 80% city, but the other 20% isn't really open freeway driving, just not stop-and-slow bumper cars. Still, I am consistently getting under 18mpg, and typically closer to 17. Thankfully gas prices are around $3.10 per gallon here, plus I have been using grocery store fuel points to fill up for $2.10 per gallon.

The biggest fuel economy killer seems to be the initial acceleration from a stop, which I probably do over 100 times during my 20 mile commute. Certainly driving at 10-20mph isn't going to yield great fuel economy, but accelerating from 0 to 20, then stopping and immediately doing it again over and over is going to be rough in a full size 3-row SUV.

I wonder if the hybrid would really be much better though, since the gas motor would be turning on to accelerate, off briefly during breaking, and then right back on. I think traffic driving should be a completely separate benchmark.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts