Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Pathfinder here. Noticed the other day that my coolant bottle was almost empty - the engine was hot. The question is, can I top it off with distilled water or am I better off buying a jug of NIssan 50-50. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
on most modern cars the coolant overflow bottles are getting smaller so even a small amount can make it low. even from just the hoses expanding or flexing a little as the car breaks in. if you don't see a leak I wouldn't worry too much unless you see it low again after filling. A few years ago there was a problem with a poorly designed radiator passing coolant to the transmission. Very bad juju for the transmission. and no way to check tranny fluid levels to see if its increasing (but that's an entirely different rant). the radiator problem has not continued to our newer models. Nissan 50/50 is the better way to go, but if only adding a cup or so, distilled water will get you by until its convenient to stop and get some. Can we even buy the stuff in regular auto parts stores?? I haven't seen it yet, but have not asked either.

I assume you already know........Please, Please, Please, don't even have the stuff in your garage that says "compatible with all types anti-freeze" that means its good for NONE.

The daughters boyfriend put some of that stuff in her car that uses DEX-COOL. Thought he was doing her a favor, but it says "good for all types". turned the entire system brown and gunky. plugged up the thermostat and heater core. I thought she had blown a head gasket until I learned he had put some of that stuff in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents. Ordered some blue 50/50 on amazon. Will keep watching it to make sure the level doesnt continue to drop.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Coolant is the way to go, prevents corrosion and maintains the system in good shape. I assume you live South if you are not concerned about freezing.
Coolant also works the other way in summer to raise the boiling point so the car doesn't overheat, hence the name... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Coolant also works the other way in summer to raise the boiling point so the car doesn't overheat, hence the name... :)
Agreed. If the system if in good shape you can still run using 100% water in tropical cities although you'll be re-filling it often (believe me, I was born in a city where 40 C (104 F) and 95% humidity is considered normal). Using coolant will prevent the evaporation plus all the added benefits of corrosion protection.
Water only becomes a hazard when it freezes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good day fellow PF owners, just noticed that the coolant level on my PF is almost on the MIN level, anyway, thinking of buying online (ebay/amazon) the genuine nissan anti-freeze (blue), all i need is to pour/add it in the reservoir, right? No need to add water. TIA. Just wanna be sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good day fellow PF owners, just noticed that the coolant level on my PF is almost on the MIN level, anyway, thinking of buying online (ebay/amazon) the genuine nissan anti-freeze (blue), all i need is to pour/add it in the reservoir, right? No need to add water. TIA. Just wanna be sure.
That's correct. If you buy the premixed 50/50 stuff, just add it to the reservoir.
If you buy the pure concentrate, you will need to add distilled water.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks @JayArras, i was just confused about adding water or just directly pour it in, thats why i asked here because in the owners manual, it stated that...

“The engine cooling system is filled at the factory with a pre-diluted mixture of 50% Genuine NISSAN Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (blue) AND 50% water to provide year-round antifreeze and coolant protection”

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
I understand. There are test kits that you can buy to check your coolant levels. I just didn't want you to think that the Nissan brand was the only one you could use. Prestone or any of the others are perfectly fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts