Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have made a couple of posts here about my new 2013 Pathfinder having the shudder issue, and that twice it lost power while trying to accelerate - once going up a parking garage incline, the second time while turning right from a stop onto a busy freeway service road. Both times my foot was on the accelerator and I went to accelerate faster, and the power just died. It took a solid 3-4 seconds of my foot being mashed on the accelerator before it finally "caught" and started accelerating.

After the first power loss, which was 3 days after I bought it, I took it into the dealership - Monday afternoon. I picked it up on Thursday and was told that's just how CVTs run, and there's nothing wrong with it. I asked if it had had the TCM reprogram done before I bought it, and they said no, my VIN was not part of that bulletin.

The second time it lost power was the next day, Friday, as I turned from a stop onto a freeway service road, with cars flying off the freeway at 40-50 mph. I went ahead and drove home, and didn't drive it again until Monday when I drove it to the dealership again, this time with the service manager. He did NOT agree that this is just how CVTs run.

They gave me another 2013 Pathfinder SV as a loaner. I had not noticed any problems until yesterday, after a full week of driving it. As I turned out from my parking lot at work, onto a busy 3 lane road, as soon as I got out onto the road, the truck lost power. Once again, I was sitting in the middle of the road with no power. After 3 seconds, and the RPMs going crazy, it finally started going.

I immediately called the dealership and told them to come get the loaner and bring me a non CVT vehicle to drive, which they did - a Rogue.

I am not leaking transmission fluid, so I do not think it's the hose issue. They have not done the TCM reprogram despite my having asked them the first time I dropped the truck off (3 days after I bought it) so I don't know if that would help. The service manager did say that Nissan is investigating a torque coverter issue, but that they didn't have a fix and he didn't think that's the issue with mine anyway.

I am really at a loss as to what to do now. Even if they replace the CVT in my truck, it's the same CVT that has now put me in danger of killing myself or someone else by losing power in the middle of attempting to accelerate on a busy road - twice. As of yesterday, they are waiting to hear back from Nissan on the data from the recorder that they put on it when the service manager took it home last week.

I do not know that I will ever feel safe in this vehicle again. I am seriously, seriously sad because I absolutely love this truck.

Edited to add: The PF I purchased was built in 01/2013 in Smyrna, TN and had 2800 miles on it when the loss of power occured. The loaner was built in 03/2013 in the same plant and had 182 miles on it when it lost power.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow, very sorry to hear that happened. Loosing power like that on main roads can get really dangerous as the vehicles slows down without brake lights coming on to warn other drivers, just be thankful you didn't get rear ended. Might want to avoid freeways/highways for now.

Now what to do.... you can suggest that Nissan buys back your Pathfinder giving you a full refund and you can move onto something else, or you can wait for Nissan engineers to come up with a fix which could happen in weeks or months.

At this point I doubt you want to deal with any lengthy waiting.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum that I purchased in January 2013 (build date 12/2012). I had not heard of the loss of power issue until you had posted about it. I have 6700 miles on my truck and aside from dealing with the transmission shudder, I have experienced the loss of power once. I was making a right hand turn from a stop onto a 50 MPH road. The one thing I noticed when it happened to me was that the right front wheel slipped in loose gravel when making the turn, then when I tried to accelerate, nothing. I removed my foot from the accelerator and then tried to accelerate again. Eventually the power came back and I got up to speed. I chalked it up to a one time thing. I guess maybe there is more to it than that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum that I purchased in January 2013 (build date 12/2012). I had not heard of the loss of power issue until you had posted about it. I have 6700 miles on my truck and aside from dealing with the transmission shudder, I have experienced the loss of power once. I was making a right hand turn from a stop onto a 50 MPH road. The one thing I noticed when it happened to me was that the right front wheel slipped in loose gravel when making the turn, then when I tried to accelerate, nothing. I removed my foot from the accelerator and then tried to accelerate again. Eventually the power came back and I got up to speed. I chalked it up to a one time thing. I guess maybe there is more to it than that.
Aside from the gravel on the wheel, this is exactly what happened to me. Two of the three times I was needing more acceleration to speed up after turning right onto a road with speed limits of 40-50 mph (the other was going up a parking garage at 5 mph, so a little less dangerous). I was extrememly lucky the first time because the car turning behind me from the parking lot had to swerve around me, and the car coming of the freeway had to swerve around HIM. The second time I had left work early, at 3:45, so there was less traffic than normal. And, of course, my PF has the shudder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Okay I don't know if this is the problem but I've experienced this exact samething. It's a safety feature (well if you want to call it that) that when the vehicle sense slippage it kills power to the drive wheels. Very useful in the snow/rain if you hydroplane or loose control. Problem with that I that it works even on dry pavement. I had this exact same feature on my 03 Accord and 07 BMW. You have to turn off the traction control. It's a button on the left side of the steer wheel (where the liftgate button is located on the dash). Once you turn that off you will see a warning light on your dash telling you its off then you can spin tires all day long without the truck killing the power. I've personally tested this because I wanted to take of from a light quickly, so i turn off traction control and literally it just spun tires like crazy till it could catch itself in speed. If you leave it on then you have to be very careful when pulling out into traffic to not get on the gas hard until the truck is rolling at least 20mph where it can handle the torque/acceleration and not lose traction. Hope this helps everyone out. IMO theres nothing wrong with the truck to need to return it ... its just a safety feature found in all vehicles now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Transmission failure

Just put my 2013 Pathfinder SL on a tow truck because the transmission failed. Fluid was all over and caused a bunch of smoke. By the time I could pull over, the vehicle would not go while in drive. 2 months/2400 miles and $40,000 later, I have no vehicle and a whole lot of anger. Anyone know what the options are for us unfortunate ones? I plan on lodging a complaint with Nissan Corp, but what I really want is my money back.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Okay I don't know if this is the problem but I've experienced this exact samething. It's a safety feature (well if you want to call it that) that when the vehicle sense slippage it kills power to the drive wheels. Very useful in the snow/rain if you hydroplane or loose control. Problem with that I that it works even on dry pavement. I had this exact same feature on my 03 Accord and 07 BMW. You have to turn off the traction control. It's a button on the left side of the steer wheel (where the liftgate button is located on the dash). Once you turn that off you will see a warning light on your dash telling you its off then you can spin tires all day long without the truck killing the power. I've personally tested this because I wanted to take of from a light quickly, so i turn off traction control and literally it just spun tires like crazy till it could catch itself in speed. If you leave it on then you have to be very careful when pulling out into traffic to not get on the gas hard until the truck is rolling at least 20mph where it can handle the torque/acceleration and not lose traction. Hope this helps everyone out. IMO theres nothing wrong with the truck to need to return it ... its just a safety feature found in all vehicles now.
I don't believe this is strictly the traction control. Yes, it's possible that under a lot of slippage, the TCS can turn on, but you'd have to be really pushing it. And if you have 4WD with it set to AUTO, the chances of that happening would be greatly reduced as about 33% torque to the rear wheels is always applied as a preventative when accelerating from a stop.

With that said, if I know I'm going to need to accelerate hard, I tend to put it in AUTO, but leave it in 2WD the rest of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Just put my 2013 Pathfinder SL on a tow truck because the transmission failed. Fluid was all over and caused a bunch of smoke. By the time I could pull over, the vehicle would not go while in drive. 2 months/2400 miles and $40,000 later, I have no vehicle and a whole lot of anger. Anyone know what the options are for us unfortunate ones? I plan on lodging a complaint with Nissan Corp, but what I really want is my money back.
So, what is the reaction from the dealer? I would imagine they're replacing the CVT and they've issued you a loaner. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm hoping the dealership will do the right thing. When I informed them they acted as if this was the first time they had heard of any problems with the 2013 model year PF. I plan to contact Nissan Corp to at least have it on record.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm hoping the dealership will do the right thing. When I informed them they acted as if this was the first time they had heard of any problems with the 2013 model year PF. I plan to contact Nissan Corp to at least have it on record.
On the advice of the service manager, I called Nissan Consumer Affairs on Wednesday morning. 1-800-NISSAN-1

They finally called me back late yesterday afteroon, but only to tell me she was just assisting my actual regional rep and that the rep would be calling me back within 3 business days. I am becoming increasingly aggravated at this point, especially since the person at Nissan CA starting the conversation with "So, you are experiencing a shudder issue?", completely leaving out the real safety hazard of the power loss issue.

I have owned the truck for 21 days, and 14 of those days I have not had use of it. And at this
point, I can't even get Nissan on the phone, much less a new transmission.

ETA: According to the service manager, he has to get Nissan's approval to replace the transmission and TCM panel, and he's waiting on them at this point.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

As of Friday morning my PF had been in the service department for 14 days with no fix in sight since, according to the service manager, Nissan had not given approval yet to replace the transmission and TCM panel.

I ended up going to the dealership yesterday afternoon and insisting they trade me into another PF, which they did. I now have an SL model built in 02/13. Time will tell if it has the shudder issue, but my main concern in my original truck was the power loss. I had almost changed my mind completely on the PF, but I really do love it and I've read hundreds of reviews where people have had no issues, so I decided to give it one more try.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this new one and hoping Nissan gets the ball rolling on the shudder issue ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Update:

As of Friday morning my PF had been in the service department for 14 days with no fix in sight since, according to the service manager, Nissan had not given approval yet to replace the transmission and TCM panel.

I ended up going to the dealership yesterday afternoon and insisting they trade me into another PF, which they did. I now have an SL model built in 02/13. Time will tell if it has the shudder issue, but my main concern in my original truck was the power loss. I had almost changed my mind completely on the PF, but I really do love it and I've read hundreds of reviews where people have had no issues, so I decided to give it one more try.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this new one and hoping Nissan gets the ball rolling on the shudder issue ASAP.
Glad to hear the dealership is trying to do right by you. Do keep us posted on the replacement and whether it starts to have the shudder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on failed CVT

I was contacted by the dealership service dept I had my PF towed to and was advised a spring clamp had come loose that connected the hose to the transmission. At that point it triggered a fault code that stopped the transmission from operating. (Unfortunately, I was going through an intersection at the time.) I was told I lost 1/3 of the trans fluid and they would refill it, drive it and if no problems were found, I would get it back that day. However, upon doing all of this and finding no apparent issues, the service dept then contacted Nissan technicians who told them to replace the transmission, transmission cooler, double clamp all the hoses, replace the radiator and all fittings. I asked for the invoice and found Nissan was providing all new parts other than the transmission itself which is a remanufactured one. I subsequently received a call back from the regional Nissan rep who wanted me to rate my satisfaction and when I mentioned I would like ALL new Nissan parts, she tried to convince me the remanufactured trans was as good as or better than my original one. At that point I told her my PF with 2400 miles had been driven for two months with a new transmission and that is what should be put back into the vehicle. I was told she had no say in the type of parts put in the PF and at that point I asked about a buyback. Although it is unlikely, my request is being reviewed. Even though I appreciate Nissan trying to make things right, I still would not recommend anyone purchasing a 2013 PF until Nissan solves some of these issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello

You guys really start to worry me about the transmission leak. I have captures some of the picture below..., if you can for those have their dealer or DIY, which hoses need to be double secured? or which one are the one that causing the transmission fluid leak?

:confused:

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have made a couple of posts here about my new 2013 Pathfinder having the shudder issue, and that twice it lost power while trying to accelerate - once going up a parking garage incline, the second time while turning right from a stop onto a busy freeway service road. Both times my foot was on the accelerator and I went to accelerate faster, and the power just died. It took a solid 3-4 seconds of my foot being mashed on the accelerator before it finally "caught" and started accelerating.

After the first power loss, which was 3 days after I bought it, I took it into the dealership - Monday afternoon. I picked it up on Thursday and was told that's just how CVTs run, and there's nothing wrong with it. I asked if it had had the TCM reprogram done before I bought it, and they said no, my VIN was not part of that bulletin.

The second time it lost power was the next day, Friday, as I turned from a stop onto a freeway service road, with cars flying off the freeway at 40-50 mph. I went ahead and drove home, and didn't drive it again until Monday when I drove it to the dealership again, this time with the service manager. He did NOT agree that this is just how CVTs run.

They gave me another 2013 Pathfinder SV as a loaner. I had not noticed any problems until yesterday, after a full week of driving it. As I turned out from my parking lot at work, onto a busy 3 lane road, as soon as I got out onto the road, the truck lost power. Once again, I was sitting in the middle of the road with no power. After 3 seconds, and the RPMs going crazy, it finally started going.

I immediately called the dealership and told them to come get the loaner and bring me a non CVT vehicle to drive, which they did - a Rogue.

I am not leaking transmission fluid, so I do not think it's the hose issue. They have not done the TCM reprogram despite my having asked them the first time I dropped the truck off (3 days after I bought it) so I don't know if that would help. The service manager did say that Nissan is investigating a torque coverter issue, but that they didn't have a fix and he didn't think that's the issue with mine anyway.

I am really at a loss as to what to do now. Even if they replace the CVT in my truck, it's the same CVT that has now put me in danger of killing myself or someone else by losing power in the middle of attempting to accelerate on a busy road - twice. As of yesterday, they are waiting to hear back from Nissan on the data from the recorder that they put on it when the service manager took it home last week.

I do not know that I will ever feel safe in this vehicle again. I am seriously, seriously sad because I absolutely love this truck.

Edited to add: The PF I purchased was built in 01/2013 in Smyrna, TN and had 2800 miles on it when the loss of power occured. The loaner was built in 03/2013 in the same plant and had 182 miles on it when it lost power.
So I drive a 2014 Pathfinder and had it for almost 2 years and three times now it's lost power. I don't know much about cars, however, I'm sure this isn't how they work. Nissan is a waste of time going to them once they have your money they no longer care what happens. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere! What can I do about it?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,068 Posts
So I drive a 2014 Pathfinder and had it for almost 2 years and three times now it's lost power. I don't know much about cars, however, I'm sure this isn't how they work. Nissan is a waste of time going to them once they have your money they no longer care what happens. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere! What can I do about it?
This is a really old thread, but when this happens to you, do you notice any lights on the dash? Like said above, if the vehicle senses any wheel slip, it's going to take throttle away from you so long as the vehicle stability control is on/active.

Sometimes bad wheel speed sensors can trigger this condition at odd times. If you disable the stability control by pushing the button by your left knee and this loss of power thing still happens, my guess is it's not a wheel slippage or wheel speed sensor issue.

Just tryin' to help troubleshoot.(y)

Reactions: Sabrina

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,011 Posts
Hi Sabrina

Welcome to the forum !

First thing to check is the brake relay, it is known to fail on these vehicles.
If the car believes the brakes are ON, it won't accelerate.
Check if your brake lights are ON when that happens, if so, replace it.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
There was a recall on the brake relay, so it should not cost you anything to have it replaced.

Reactions: Sabrina

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,068 Posts
Good point on the brake relay issue. Makes you wonder if that was the issue all along for the old posts in this thread.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was going to suggest brakes as well. Is it possible that you had pressed both pedals at the same time. Depending on your foot size, etc. it might be possible to be dragging slightly on the brake pedal while pressing the gas. That would kill the throttle (thanks to those Toyota's that had 'Unintended Acceleration')

1 - 20 of 21 Posts