Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just got a 2017 Pathfinder S, needed some information on towing and installing the tow hitch, this forum has been excellent! Thanks so much for sharing!

Looking at purchasing a 2017 FOREST RIVER SALEM 201BHXL, dry weight of 4200lbs, still figuring out if its a good idea or not... Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Moving your intro to the Tow Section.

With 1800 lb to spare, I don't see why not. WDH and maybe air bags would be recommended.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for putting this in the correct place, would be interested in hearing anyone's experience with towing long heavy trailers... I know its possible, but not sure its a great idea...

And yes, definitely would invest in the WDH and from what I read on here the Firestone 4118 airbags to help keep things level...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just reading the specs for the trailer.

UVW - 4233 lbs

CCC - 3295 lbs

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* – is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) ** – is the amount of weight available for fresh potable water, cargo, additional optional equipment and accessories. CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW.

You could very easily overload the tow rating if you aren't careful. Doesn't mean you can't tow it, but personally, I don't want to be at the limit when I tow. Despite the changes to the CVT, I'd hate to overload it.

That being said, I tow a pop-up that is about 3300lbs fully loaded and I find that the CVT and the 3.5L engine work well together moving things down the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got your message. I have had no problems with towing what I'm sure is close the max and the 26Ft. long. I have not been in the mountains yet but think I will have the power to get up the inclines. I do have a distribution hitch and trailer brakes but no airbags. It sags just a bit. I only have two people and one dog in the cab but plenty of gear in the back. You have another thousand towing rating and only a few hundred additional in weight, I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just reading the specs for the trailer.

UVW - 4233 lbs

CCC - 3295 lbs

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* – is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) ** – is the amount of weight available for fresh potable water, cargo, additional optional equipment and accessories. CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW.

You could very easily overload the tow rating if you aren't careful. Doesn't mean you can't tow it, but personally, I don't want to be at the limit when I tow. Despite the changes to the CVT, I'd hate to overload it.

That being said, I tow a pop-up that is about 3300lbs fully loaded and I find that the CVT and the 3.5L engine work well together moving things down the road.
Wow, I didnt notice the CCC was so high! Thanks for pointing that out, if we go with this trailer I will need to be careful not to load it too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So made my maiden voyage with my new TT, a 2018 Coleman Lantern 215BH which has a dry weight of around 4300lbs. I installed a Tekomsha Primus IQ brake controller, a DrawTite receiver w/7 way connector. Also, I used a Fastway E2 weight distribution with sway control hitch. I traveled with what I would consider max gear (which isnt much) and all dry tanks. It handled well all around. I felt the drag once I got to around 55mph and kept the speed at 65mph or below. At certain points, I felt like the PF was working a little hard to pull up hills, etc, but that may just be me as I have never towed a large trailer with anything smaller than a Ford F250. The total for this trip was around 120 miles, round trip down the great garden state parkway. My next investment is a set of decent mirror extensions, as it was almost impossible to see what I needed to.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,304 Posts
Did you bring your spouse, all 5 kids and the dog on that trip? :eek: I'm guessing that the 700 lb. gap was easily filled by passenger weight. I'd be leary about attempting too long a trip with that trailer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you bring your spouse, all 5 kids and the dog on that trip? :eek: I'm guessing that the 700 lb. gap was easily filled by passenger weight. I'd be leary about attempting too long a trip with that trailer.
No, wife was working and kids had school, so I drove just me and the dog down and they met us there. I definitely cannot see myself towing it for long trips, but would be fine towing to and from local campgrounds. Also, we are doing a seasonal site this spring/summer/fall and my wife already has her eye on a 2017 GMC Yukon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I think the tow numbers on the pathfinders are way exaggerated. Like you, when I was towing my boats, once you hit 55mph that thing really has to work hard to get it to 65 or more. Feels like you are really pushing it to the limits. So for your 120 mile trip, any idea what your gas mileage was?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I think the tow numbers on the pathfinders are way exaggerated. Like you, when I was towing my boats, once you hit 55mph that thing really has to work hard to get it to 65 or more. Feels like you are really pushing it to the limits. So for your 120 mile trip, any idea what your gas mileage was?
I didn't calculate it, but it almost seemed move while driving, kind of like the speedometer... lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar Situation

Hi, I'm looking at towing a boat with similar weight around 4,200 lbs. I was happy to see that they has increased the PF towing capacity to 6k, but was skeptical if that number was inflated. The CVT addition seemed a bit gimmicky and I also questioned whether the structure of the PF had been strengthened as well. I kept hearing from dealers, "oh yeah, it can tow 6k", but reading through the great forum I kept wondering if i "should" tow it. I'm fearful that I'll significantly shorten the lifespan of the vehicle if I rely on the 17 PF to tow a boat of similar weight. I'll also have 2 kids and a wife, plus gear, so I'll be close to exceeding weight limits. If anyone on here can counter this argument, I would love to hear it as I would prefer to get a 17 PF, but fear I might have to look elsewhere for towing options. Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at towing a boat with similar weight around 4,200 lbs. I was happy to see that they has increased the PF towing capacity to 6k, but was skeptical if that number was inflated. The CVT addition seemed a bit gimmicky and I also questioned whether the structure of the PF had been strengthened as well. I kept hearing from dealers, "oh yeah, it can tow 6k", but reading through the great forum I kept wondering if i "should" tow it. I'm fearful that I'll significantly shorten the lifespan of the vehicle if I rely on the 17 PF to tow a boat of similar weight. I'll also have 2 kids and a wife, plus gear, so I'll be close to exceeding weight limits. If anyone on here can counter this argument, I would love to hear it as I would prefer to get a 17 PF, but fear I might have to look elsewhere for towing options. Thanks!
My boat, fully loaded is probably a bit over 4000lbs. I've only towed it once so far, but it did great. It had no problem handling the weight, sure it revs up a bit when you're accelerating, but you should expect that. If you tow near the max with any vehicle, it's going to work, but that doesn't mean you are shortening the life.
If you're only going to tow a full load handful of times a year, I wouldn't hesitate to get the PF (exactly what I do). If you plan to tow just about every day, you'd be better off looking into a full size truck or SUV.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts
My boat, fully loaded is probably a bit over 4000lbs. I've only towed it once so far, but it did great. It had no problem handling the weight, sure it revs up a bit when you're accelerating, but you should expect that. If you tow near the max with any vehicle, it's going to work, but that doesn't mean you are shortening the life.
If you're only going to tow a full load handful of times a year, I wouldn't hesitate to get the PF (exactly what I do). If you plan to tow just about every day, you'd be better off looking into a full size truck or SUV.
+1 Well said!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi emartin00, thanks for this feedback. So is your SV equipped with anything special? Which class tow hitch did you use? Was the towing package factory or dealer installed? Did you put any cooling systems on the transmission/radiator? How long was your tow? Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm encouraged by your feedback. My towing is similar to yours in that it's a handful of times a year. The rest of the year its a vehicle for the family and we prefer Nissan over anything else.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi emartin00, thanks for this feedback. So is your SV equipped with anything special? Which class tow hitch did you use? Was the towing package factory or dealer installed? Did you put any cooling systems on the transmission/radiator? How long was your tow? Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm encouraged by your feedback. My towing is similar to yours in that it's a handful of times a year. The rest of the year its a vehicle for the family and we prefer Nissan over anything else.
My SV came equipped with the Cold Package, and I installed the OEM hitch myself (a pretty easy job). As I understand it, all trims are equipped with a transmission cooler from the factory. That is one of the reasons I leaned towards the PF over the Pilot.
My tow was about 60 miles each way. Probably about 95% highway, doing 70mph.

As a side note, my dad traded in his 2004 Titan earlier this year. For the past several years, that had been the tow vehicle for the boat.
The Pathfinder actually got better gas mileage than the titan did while towing.

·
Super Moderator
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forrest River T201BHXL

We did it, here is our trailer, pulled really well, quite impressed actually! Even managed to get 12.5mpg on the 60mile trip home from OC (90% freeway and completely empty). I do need to get a towing mirror for the passenger side, cant see all the way back there...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts