Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Rustproofing? There's a WOM - high profit item if there ever was one.
Maybe, oh disbelievers but I had 1987 ram pick up till I sold it in 2007 and sprayed it every year to every other for approx $80 a shot back then and the body was totally spotless... no rust what so ever and I did drive it in the Ontario salt. God ya got to watch what you say in here the caustic police will get you every-time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Make sure you rustproof it, otherwise those trucks fall apart when exposed to road salt.
When I first read this comment I was upset and wondering if I bought a piece of rusty crap so I started looking around and asking a bunch of owners and observing Rams of all model years and came to conclusion that all trucks seem basically the same as far as the rust goes. So thanks for the advice about the rust proofing, and anyways some of the boys here don't seem to agree about the rust proofing thing.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,009 Posts
A co-worker owns a Ram 2011, never rustproofed and he barely washes it.
Last year it looked good and within months it started disintegrating, the rocker panels are gone, they have 2-3 inches holes, bed and tailgate are also rusted beyond repair. The rust came from the inside, he told me (true or not) that those trucks have some sort of sponge type material inside those panels (insulation?) that absorbs the salt.
Didn't mean to scare or upset you, I DO believe in rustproofing and I encourage people to do it whenever I can.
Here is a good article I found about it: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...y-rust-proofing-for-your-car/article19839668/

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
, I DO believe in rustproofing and I encourage people to do it whenever I can.

7 years you say well I wont be keeping it that long any way...back to the rustproofing I believe in it more than God himself, I have had several cars and trucks and to me it works wonders. I was dissing the non believers boys. :1:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update @ Jmam : Well its been over 2 years now and the Ram has been superb. Reliability, mileage, performance and not a speck of RUST, this truck tows great as far as the 2509s Rockwood goes. Not to dis the Pathfinder too much but I don't miss the visits to the Nissan dealer. Overall in the short term its been a positive experience. Now if only I don't jinx myself by the bragging!

Reactions: jman

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Well thinking of trading in the Rock Wood 2509s and Ram 1500 for a 1 ton dually truck and a Cougar 24rds 5th wheel. I don't really care what make of truck I get as long as it is reasonable although a Ford F- 450 has a great turning radius and manoeuvrability and looks freaking great. So the adventure is just starting but we really like the smaller Cougar 5th wheel and I fully intend to over kill for the towing capability of what ever truck I get.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,766 Posts
CAMPING - It's a disease! Once you get used to those creature comforts...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yikes !
Time to buy a cottage and a Honda Fit... :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
Been there done that. Just sold my cottage in Bancroft Ontario this summer, had it since 1981 and had enough of the maintenance on both the house and the cottage, kids grew up and don't want to put there backs into the place so its out of here. I loved the cottage when I had the energy to work on it every year in my 20's to 60's but now I'm done.

After maintaining a cottage and a boat for 39 years the 5th wheel should be a breeze. Specially if I pay someone to do it.😄

·
Registered
5 Posts
That APEX 208BHS looks like a perfect fit for our frequent towing, distance, terrain and family requirements. That is about 1000lbs heavier than we pulled this summer but would be willing to drive much slower for the extra features. I was able to put my 2017 PF into transmission over-temp protection mode trying to maintain 60MPH with a 3400# trailer in the east coast. On the flats 3400# pulled NP. With 80% of our travels on relevantly mildly undulating highways many others have reported that 4000#-4500# should be ok?

But the problem is.... the 208BHS is currently selling for about $30,000 including tax around Toronto..... and as you mentioned the next closest thing with a slide-out is around 4500# and about a foot or two longer than I can keep in my driveway.

Thanks for that tip!
So what is the trailer you were towing and how was it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I decided on my new truck but with covid, trucks are d-a-m-n rare used or new. Decided on Ram 3500 single rear wheel ( decided against a dually or DRW) with 6.7 cummins H.O. with 6 speed Aisin Transmission. My salesman who sold me my previously owned Ram 1500 says that dealerships are coming to his used only car lot with an inventory at any given time of around 750 cars and paying their asking price just so they have some pickup truck inventory in their dealerships. So right now getting exactly what I want at a negotiated price is quite impossible.
On the RV front I found a good dealer to purchase the Cougar 5th wheel I wanted and was told it would probably be next season before I received it...Lord have mercy, this covid thing is really starting to suck for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well I ordered My Ram 3500 Limited with the Cummins HO 6.7 diesel and Aisin transmission but was told a minimum of 16 weeks delivery, however I lucked out when it came to ordering the Cougar 24RDS 5th wheel, its coming (I hope) June 16 with the options I requested. The only thing is the truck by what they are saying won't be here till the end of August so pretty much a wash as far as RVing goes this year. But the way this covid thing is and with the shortages I best get it now rather than later.

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
You were lucky with the trailer. They must have had your options in stock. RV makers have scads of incomplete rigs sitting on their lots waiting for parts.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
You were lucky with the trailer. They must have had your options in stock. RV makers have scads of incomplete rigs sitting on their lots waiting for parts.
Forgot to mention that the salesman had ordered the trailer back in Sept. 23 2020 for his inventory and I was lucky no one put there name to it or he said I would have had to probably wait till spring. Keystone was actually scheduled to build it soon so again I luck out in time to get my options installed or I would have had to get the regular options and after market all of my choices.
Also forgot that I'm getting the exact same trade in price I payed for the ram 1500 plus here in Canada, I'm not sure about the States but you dont pay taxes on the money your used vehicle is worth on a trade in so I save taxes on $32,000 toward the new one as well.
The truck is better looking than when I got it and I only put on 12,000 km or 7,456 miles on it for a total of 42,500 km or 26,408 miles.
Im selling my Rockwood 2509S on consignment at the RV dealer. I ll put it up now because spring is a good time to sell.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Small update: My Cougar 24RDS has arrived at the dealer last week...but I won't do the PDI till end of August or early September. Its 3 and half hour drive from here and my Ram 3500 is built but on the train system coming from Mexico so god only knows when it will get here cause my salesman can't give me an exact date. According to the Ram Forums some guys have been waiting as much as 6 weeks from start to finish in transit.
What will probably end up happening on the Cougar is we will go do the PDI and pay for it and leave it there for the winter. The RV place where I bought it has a RV park beside it that they own so part of the sale is they set up your RV in the park to sewer, hydro, water and you can stay a couple of days to run the 5th wheel through its paces and work out any bugs. The RV salesman has offered to let me keep it there for free till May 2022 and winterize it for $75. So its all coming together, mind you at a snails pace.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally got my truck, I pick it up sept 14, the salesman sent me pics of her. So now we can go pick up the Cougar 5th wheel or we might let him winter it there because now it so late in the season. Here is a couple of pics of the truck of the outside because the inside is still covered in plastic wrap

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Never get a bite on this thread, starting to believe this thread is hidden from the general public....:unsure::poop:

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
Never get a bite on this thread, starting to believe this thread is hidden from the general public....:unsure::poop:
I think we'd be more interested in pics of your trailer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I think we'd be more interested in pics of your trailer.
going to see the trailer for the first time on the 23rd which is good but with me its all about the truck! :cool:
I mean this is a vehicle site. 👁️‍🗨️:giggle:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts