Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after 3 months of travel trailer shopping it seems that I will have to get rid of the pathy for a half ton pickup with a towing package. We started off looking for travel trailers that was 4000 lbs and under but found it frustrating because of the features missing in most all light weight trailers (stove top with no oven, bathroom with no sink or a wet bath, a couch with no dinette or vice versa ,only sleeps 2 and I feel safer with dual axle etc. etc. always something missing) and I know features are a very personal thing especially when it comes to what I want and what the wife wants.
Most of all travel trailers in that weight are more geared for what they refer to as a couples trailer so the wife was concerned about not having room for the daughter and my grand kids…OCCASIONALLY, I say get a hotel…lol I guess?
It came down to 2 models, Rockwood Roo 23bds which is a hybrid with one fold out canvas sleeper, the wife’s pic by the way, weighing in approx. 5200 lbs. Nice features and layout but I don’t personally care for canvas fold outs in bear country. My pick is the Rockwood Micro lite 2509s also around 5200 lbs., it has a queen Murphy bed, u-shaped dinette in the slide out, double size bunk beds, outdoor kitchen, it’s just a nice finish trailer in general full of great features in its class and sleeps up to 8 people.
If I’m sounding like a salesman then I’m sorry I guess I’m trying to sell it to myself. Lol.

What do you guys think? Here are the you tube sale reviews...if you have the time to watch them...there are quite boring.

https://youtu.be/UUz-UNEricU?t=8

https://youtu.be/gyBKvfOUB8g?t=4

Attachments

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,766 Posts
Larry, we wrestled with what you are going through several years ago when we owned a Dodge Caravan to pull our 17" Sunline travel trailer. We graduated from owning pop-ups and once we experienced the travel trailer, there was no going back! The dilemma was that the Caravan really wasn't equipped to pull the Sunline, but we really didn't want to invest in a gas-guzzling tow vehicle either just to be able to camp a few times a year. We ultimately bit the bullet and bought a used Chevy Trailblazer that we drove for 9 years. (Avg.16 mpg/maybe 8 while towing) My wife loved the upgrade from minivan to SUV. Of course, that meant that we could now tow a bigger trailer, so we went from 17' to 19'.

Then the Trailblazer started to give us problems and we now had a trailer that weighed about 3900 lbs., so the quest was on to find a replacement. That was in 2013 and the R52 had just been introduced. It ticked all the right boxes for us, so even though I was leery about buying a first year model and despite the fact that CVT problems were starting to be reported, we took a chance and bought our SL Premium.

Long story even longer, you need to weigh the TV requirements of your "perfect" trailer against a daily driver that you're going to be "stuck with" the rest of the year. You're in Canada. Given your weather and circumstances, how many camping trips can you take a year? Is the tradeoff worth it? Only you can answer that question.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long story even longer, you need to weigh the TV requirements of your "perfect" trailer against a daily driver that you're going to be "stuck with" the rest of the year. You're in Canada. Given your weather and circumstances, how many camping trips can you take a year? Is the tradeoff worth it? Only you can answer that question.

I drove a GMC 1500 extend a cab as well as a maxima prior to the pathy and the wife has an Altima , I'm 90% retired so I don't do a lot of miles in a year. If we need to do some serious miles with out much gear we take the Altima. I also don't pay attention or care about mpg.(how green is that? lol) I just close my eyes and fill it up so to pay for a thirst Ford or GMC or Ram and as long as it does what I want then I don't mind puttting $50 bucks a week into the tank to go to get the milk in the RV off season.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Larry from the post it seems like it is mostly going to be you and your wife. I agree about the hotel thing! Or..... Maybe... get your own camper! Lol.
I honestly like both you have narrowed down to. For the occasional guest the hybrid sounds like a winner. Not sure if you have much humidity there. But, down in the South I could not keep the condensation off of the inside of the tent bed roof. A few times after a rain, I literally had to wipe them down with a towel before bed. I have the double bunks now plus the jackknife couch and dinning. It Makes for more usable space during the day.
Also with the tent bed you have more things to break/leak. But I did watch the video and that one looks nice. Tough decision. Not sure if your a praying man, but that's usually how I make that final decision. Don't want to start a thread about praying, just telling you our method!
I laughed when you said $50. My f150 has a 34 gallon tank. Hadn't paid 50 since, errrrr, I got tired of pumping and stopped at 50! Good luck in you choosing. And let us know which one you pick.

2017 Pathfinder SL
Heartland Prowler 25 LX

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,009 Posts
I have also been looking around for a trailer that has about the same options you want, a slide-out, queen bed, bunks, outdoor kitchen and can be towed by the PF.
The slide out adds a lot of weight and all the ones that I found had a dry weight of 4500 to 5000 lbs. I considered the hybrids but I want to get away from canvas, have better insulation and not have to worry if I have to close it wet under the rain.
I finally came across this one, dry weight of 3928 lbs
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=4011#Main
It has all I'm looking for except the U-dinette, @larry, check this one out, you might like it.
It is a new model so it would be next to impossible to find a used one. A new one starts around $19k US, not bad but still more than what I want to spend on something I use 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That APEX 208BHS looks like a perfect fit for our frequent towing, distance, terrain and family requirements. That is about 1000lbs heavier than we pulled this summer but would be willing to drive much slower for the extra features. I was able to put my 2017 PF into transmission over-temp protection mode trying to maintain 60MPH with a 3400# trailer in the east coast. On the flats 3400# pulled NP. With 80% of our travels on relevantly mildly undulating highways many others have reported that 4000#-4500# should be ok?

But the problem is.... the 208BHS is currently selling for about $30,000 including tax around Toronto..... and as you mentioned the next closest thing with a slide-out is around 4500# and about a foot or two longer than I can keep in my driveway.

Thanks for that tip!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That APEX 208BHS
But the problem is.... the 208BHS is currently selling for about $30,000 including tax around Toronto..... and as you mentioned the next closest thing with a slide-out is around 4500# and about a foot or two longer than I can keep in my driveway.

Thanks for that tip!

This trailer with tax is $28,300 at Campkins just north of Whitby Oshawa area for you boys in Ontario.

@ [email protected] I hate canvas too didn't even like it as a kid! Wife's idea

@ jman

This trailer does hit a lot of the needs for us BUT there are a lot that it does not.
This is all personal needs and opinion. The wife is a baker so she wants the oven and just because it’s there she wants the U-dinette. She also said when I showed here the picture that there is not enough counter space she also didn’t like the fact that the slide out is not even to the floor
Now for me the list is: no observation camera ready mount in the rear, No grill in the outdoor kitchen and the canopy does not cover the outdoor kitchen, lower quality slide system for the slide out, no standard murphy bed (a big one)it’s an option, stairs are the old metal ones instead of the swing up aluminum stairs, no MaxxAir fan with rain cover in washroom, no slide out canopy topper, but the biggest for me is the fact that the washroom shower does not have the plastic surround cover its just the regular wall which are notorious for the cocking to crack and leak after a few trips.
The trailer we want is about $36,000 Taxes in with no other fees also includes 2x30lbs tanks full, rv cover, 2 deep cycle 12 volt batteries, all the hitch and sway equipment, so basically on the road.
I guess it’s how much you want it and what you willing to pay for it and how much time you have to get your money out of it.
Edit: No power jack for the hitch...good options for us old ones.

Reactions: wrmac

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tend to try and settle with used. Let the other person take the hit. My hybrid I bought for 9k and a year later and a few interior upgrades I sold it for 12k. Then our new one the guy had to pay it down in order to sell it to me for the price it was worth! Keep looking your find "the one"!

2017 Pathfinder SL
Heartland Prowler 25 LX

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The problem here in Southern Ontario is availability of used trailers. I search hi and low over the internet as well as looking at private sale and drove many a mile looking only to find disappointment, either the trailer was totally wrong or in bad shape or just plain tired looking. I’m not saying it ain’t out there but finding it could take me to my 90’s.
I’ve looked at the US used trailer market with envy, but here we just don’t have the availability like you.
When JayArras found his 2013 Flagstaff micolite 21ds I would have snapped that up in a heart beat but finds like that here are very very rare.
Sorry about the font size don't know what happened I could not fix it without it getting worse.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah I guess that totally makes sense. We got a bunch of old used campers and you got beautiful views.... You Win! I like my heartland prowler. And I also like the jayco interior color schemes. We looked at some Dutchman Kodiak as well.

2017 Pathfinder SL
Heartland Prowler 25 LX

·
Registered
73 Posts
The problem here in Southern Ontario is availability of used trailers. I search hi and low over the internet as well as looking at private sale and drove many a mile looking only to find disappointment, either the trailer was totally wrong or in bad shape or just plain tired looking. I’m not saying it ain’t out there but finding it could take me to my 90’s.
I’ve looked at the US used trailer market with envy, but here we just don’t have the availability like you.
When JayArras found his 2013 Flagstaff micolite 21ds I would have snapped that up in a heart beat but finds like that here are very very rare.
Sorry about the font size don't know what happened I could not fix it without it getting worse.
Agreed. the used market here stinks in the <25', < 4500# class. I find 3year old models depreciate very little from there selling price(not MSRP. .) making them unreasonable considerations in many cases.

The new tariffs on the RV market will make things worse, I think. I sat with an RV sales owner and he pulled his invoices for the same model trailer, one recieved last week and the other he had on his lot for over 60days. His cost went up over 10% on a $22000 trailer and he says that was due to the new tarifs.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/new-us-tariffs-will-hurt-rv-users-684199951.html

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. Well I'm 90 percent sure I'm buying this Pre- Owned 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 hemi so it looks like Im trading the Pathy in the deal. In good shape and low miles and 8500 tow cap. for the travel trailer Im getting. The Wife HATES the color ( some kind of red) but I think its growing on me

Attachments

Reactions: wrmac

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
So what trailer are you buying?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what trailer are you buying?

Still looking but I can't find anything I like more to meet our needs other than the Rockwood Micro lite 2509s, the one I posted on page one of this thread. Its 5300 lbs. approx. I even got the wife liking it.:happy:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I picked up my Red Ram yesterday and gave the Pathy a big kiss good bye. All I can say so far is it rides real nice and quiet but no doubt about it it likes the gas.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,009 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I almost got a Ram before buying the PF, at the end the PF suited our family needs better than the truck.
Make sure you rustproof it, otherwise those trucks fall apart when exposed to road salt.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make sure you rustproof it, otherwise those trucks fall apart when exposed to road salt.

Thanks, I usually get my cars sprayed yearly by Krown rust control.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thinking back at my owning pickups and experiencing a few years on the planet I would tend to strongly disagree, I find the GM trucks are much worse at rusting out, but most Rams I see here in the Greater GTA aren't as cancerous as the GM'S. But everyone seems have their favorites choice of rust buckets.

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
I don't think I've rustproofed a car since my '75 Datsun.

Reactions: Bushman
1 - 20 of 40 Posts