Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 PF SV with factory tow pkg and tow hold. Will I need an equalizer hitch and how do you feel this will handle it..Thank you~~~Vinnie

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,986 Posts
I beleive it's same as a Mallard 19N. found a picture of one and identical inside and out.
I used to own a Mallard 19N that I pulled with an '02 Chevy Trailblazer, but that had a tow rating of 6400 lbs. I think you'll be at about the limit with the Pathfinder. Don't forget that you also need to include the weight of passengers and gear in your calculations. And yes, you with definitely need a WDH towing that amount of weight.

Reactions: 440scout and Vinnie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to own a Mallard 19N that I pulled with an '02 Chevy Trailblazer, but that had a tow rating of 6400 lbs. I think you'll be at about the limit with the Pathfinder. Don't forget that you also need to include the weight of passengers and gear in your calculations. And yes, you with definitely need a WDH towing that amount of weight.
thank you !!

·
Registered
2019 Pathfinder S, 2002 Pathfinder SE 4x4
64 Posts
You will definitely need the WDH, I had to use one on my '19 Pathy. I added Firestone Air Ride bags to the coil springs in the rear to stiffen the ride and it made a huge difference. Have your installer route the air fill lines to a Tee then to the fill valve to make adding air easy. When not towing lower the pressure to 7 lbs. I would set the pressure when towing to 35 lbs. [the max Firestone recommends]. Something like this. Here's my WDH:
Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

That's a Curt wireless electric brake interface in the trailer light outlet as well. I think the Pathy's gross vehicle weight is 10,000 lbs meaning the weight of the vehicle, equipment, trailer, contents, and passengers cannot exceed the GVW rating. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
2018 SL Pathfinder
4 Posts
I have 2018 PF SV with factory tow pkg and tow hold. Will I need an equalizer hitch and how do you feel this will handle it..Thank you~~~Vinnie
My new trailer is 3600 empty, and I pull with the SL! I had tow receiver installed afer purchase. And yes, WDH and sway bars are a necessity. I read more positive experiences than cautionary negative comments about pulling with a 2018 Pathfinder, so I decided to go for it, and so far no issues! The Nissan dealer seemed confident too. Of course, I maintain a conservative speed limit, and I don't overly weigh down the trailer! Common sense will get you far.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My new trailer is 3600 empty, and I pull with the SL! I had tow receiver installed afer purchase. And yes, WDH and sway bars are a necessity. I read more positive experiences than cautionary negative comments about pulling with a 2018 Pathfinder, so I decided to go for it, and so far no issues! The Nissan dealer seemed confident too. Of course, I maintain a conservative speed limit, and I don't overly weigh down the trailer! Common sense will get you far.
Did you already have the transmission cooler and if not did you install that as well ?

·
Registered
2018 SL Pathfinder
4 Posts
Did you already have the transmission cooler and if not did you install that as well ?
I kept reading about that too, yet there is adequate ventilation in the front (I could see behind the tires). I confirmed with the dealer and read more of how many have never had overheating issues! To be honest, I've only towed a few trips, and in the hills, but I've not had overheating.
(Does the SV differ from the SL and those front vents? I don't know.)

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
I'm not sure I would mess with auxiliary CVT fluid coolers, other than giving the OEM cooler a good spray out with the garden hose, etc, or if you really wanted something custom, add an E-fan to it.

There is a large cooler in front of the left front wheel on all R52 pathfinders. There are cutouts around the fog light on the left side to force air through the cooler and out the slots cut in the plastic fender well liner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts