Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a 2017+ PF, is there any issues I should know about or watch out for? Do any of you regret getting your PF?

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,366 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mosh. As a newbie, I suggest you read through some of the threads here to get a sense of issues that people have/are facing. Then come back with specific questions. Some of us have regrets, but overall, most of us are fairly happy with our choices.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
617 Posts
Have you owned Nissan vehicles before? There's not the quality they were 25yrs ago, but I wouldn't call them the worst either. I like Nissan vehicles because when purchased lightly used, you get a lot of vehicle for your dollar. If you're in the market for a late model Pathfinder, I'd buy the latest model you can that fits your budget.

Your best bet is buying an ex-rental with mileage under 30k. You should be able to pick up a 2019 SV 4x4 for around $23K that way.

My 2019 was an ex-rental, but i bought it through a local Nissan dealership. The only issue I've had so far with 35K miles on it is the front right strut mount went bad recently, giving off a rumbling sound when turning the steering wheel. Dealer replaced it under warranty in one visit.

Enterprise car sales is excellent to work with. A few weeks ago I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 from them, traded in my old truck, etc. They were super to work with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! @PoManzPathy my wife and I bought a 2016 Nissan Rogue SV last year that was a lease turn back, and we absolutely love it! I'm hoping the Pathfinder is just like a bigger rogue but with a towing capacity and more cargo storage.

@JayArras thanks, I have been skimming through the threads and it's really encouraging so far. I was curious if there's a lot of problems with the AWD that would make the FWD more desirable, and is there any common engine or tranny problems? I was browsing the GMC Acadia forums and those sound like nothing but trouble!

·
Super Moderator
4,366 Posts
You don't want a FWD model if you're planning to tow. I haven't heard about any AWD problems other than some transfer case issues, but I think there might have been some abuse going on there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@JayArras good to hear! Living in the PNW AWD is almost a necessity! Have any of you had issues with the door handles breaking? I read that's kind of a common issue

·
Super Moderator
4,366 Posts
Yup! The driver's inside door latch. Thankfully, it's a $25 part available on Amazon and easy to fix.

Reactions: JB in Portlandia

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
44 Posts
@JayArras good to hear! Living in the PNW AWD is almost a necessity! Have any of you had issues with the door handles breaking? I read that's kind of a common issue
Yes as mentioned, cheap easy fix yet annoying abit. I changed 2 in my 2013 PF, they're cheap plastic (like many new cars), and if pulled too hard the inside latch breaks.

And that's the interior handle. Otherwise all good here, 2013 and now a 2019, and definitely 4WD.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
One difference I found between the 2017 and the 2018, which caused me to buy the 2018 is the fact that the map system is set up differently. I'm not sure how you'd update the maps on the 2017, it's been too long since I was looking into it. But, with the 2018, there's an SD chip that can be updated. From what I remember seeing, it's not cheap if you do the updating from the dealer, but maybe by now there's an alternative source? But I do recall that being a big reason I ruled out the 2017 models. That, and the fact that the seat on the 2017 will not go up as high as the 2018, unless (maybe) you get a 2017 Limited. Kind of an important thing for me since I really don't like having no choice but to use a "booster pillow" in order to just see over the stupid dash. Almost made me go with the Highlander instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@JayArras thanks, I have been skimming through the threads and it's really encouraging so far. I was curious if there's a lot of problems with the AWD that would make the FWD more desirable, and is there any common engine or tranny problems? I was browsing the GMC Acadia forums and those sound like nothing but trouble!
Wow! I just started looking into the Acadia (at least, the 2017 and later Acadias that shrank a bit compared to the previous Acadia, and the unchanged Traverse and Enclave). Road tests were very positive about the Acadia, and they have pretty good towing capability, but I also pay attention to stories about repair history, which is one reason I'm on this forum to investigate the Pathfinder. I will have to check those Acadia forums. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@JB in Portlandia from what is saw on the forums the 2017 Acadias all start having an issue where you put the car in park, but the ECU doesn't see it and won't let you fully turn the car off. There hasn't been a guaranteed fix found yet, and GM is replacing some gear shifts under warranty, however the part is on indefinite back order

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the group =) My advise would be to get prior history, maint records, location (in case of flooded/repo/insurance auction/copart rebuild,etc) Happy with mine so far, simple issues that were fixed normally. Used to more hp but we got over it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only vehicle I had that was worse than my PF was a 2012 Chevy Traverse. What an absolute piece of junk. Not sure how a domestic vehicle manufacturer can call themselves domestic when so many parts on a car are made in China.

Mosh, my honest advice especially if you are intending to tow is to not buy the PF. The CVT will fail, it is just a matter of time. I would check out the reliability of other offerings like the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. If you pull the trigger on the PF then back up your purchase with a comprehensive warranty with a reputable provider. The PF can check all your boxes and that is a nice warm feeling. Not so much when your CVT fails.

My Traverse needed a full engine rebuild at 60K miles. It was a company vehicle and the company still uses it as a runner. It has been a money pit.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am in the same boat as Mosh, except I'm looking exclusively at used '19 or '20 models with low mileage. Obviously these haven't been on the road long enough to rack up a lot of miles, but generally speaking have the CVT transmissions been improved at all over the last few model years? I have read in this forum and elsewhere about all of the problems on the 13-16 model years.

I have driven the Explorer, Highlander, Enclave, Sante Fe and Traverse along with the PF this summer (I rent a lot for work). When narrowing down choices I keep coming back to the PF because you can get a lot of vehicle for the money and I want adaptive cruise control which is available on the SV trim. With most other manufacturers adaptive cruise is only available in the top trims, which I don't need or want to pay for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the same boat as Mosh, except I'm looking exclusively at used '19 or '20 models with low mileage. Obviously these haven't been on the road long enough to rack up a lot of miles, but generally speaking have the CVT transmissions been improved at all over the last few model years? I have read in this forum and elsewhere about all of the problems on the 13-16 model years.

I have driven the Explorer, Highlander, Enclave, Sante Fe and Traverse along with the PF this summer (I rent a lot for work). When narrowing down choices I keep coming back to the PF because you can get a lot of vehicle for the money and I want adaptive cruise control which is available on the SV trim. With most other manufacturers adaptive cruise is only available in the top trims, which I don't need or want to pay for.
I am still on the fence about the Pathfinder, given Nissan's history with the CVT. I need a crossover at the very least to haul my rocket stuff and camping gear to the eastern Oregon desert; when I bought a used Avalon Hybrid a couple of years ago, I hadn't restarted my interest in rockets at that time, so packing everything I need requires me to be "creative." I go there six times a year, and may rent a camper for the couple of times a year when the temperature gets below freezing, or our five-day event in June when it would be nice to have a shower handy. I'd miss the fantastic mileage for a big car, but I'd get more flexibility when going to the desert, or even dragging all my hockey gear to the rink.

I'm flying to Kansas City soon, so I'll see if I can rent a Pathfinder to give it an extended test drive. I've tested a 2017 SL at a dealer by taking it on a hilly stretch of I-205 on the east side of Portland, which was encouraging. A one-week trial would give me a better idea. I've also been encouraged by Consumer Reports ratings of 2017 and newer Pathfinders, and other long-term reviews.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts