Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 2017 & now 2019 Pathfinder. Both had large dent appear mid-driver side liftgate. No marks at all, not even dust disturbed. Appears to be caused by hydraulic suction when it closes? On 2017 mechanic said it had to be from contact of some sort. On 2019 was OK one day, parked securely (made comment needed wash to husband) & next morning had dent - dust not disturbed. Dent on both vehicles in exact same location & have pics of both. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We live in "senior" communities - no kids to do damage. If something struck it, we would have scrapes or something, but dust wasn't even disturbed. Hope to get some answers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks like either you are backing up into the same object and not noticing it, or there is someone backing up into you in your community and not telling you about it when he hits you (which is probably most likely) From the height of the hit, seems like it could be a truck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As long as the paint isn't cracked or chipped, it should be an easy fix with one of these "paintless dent remover" companies. I had a small dent fixed and you can't even see where they did it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As long as the paint isn't cracked or chipped, it should be an easy fix with one of these "paintless dent remover" companies. I had a small dent fixed and you can't even see where they did it.
I second that. I had a similar hit just above where you have your hit, and I could bet anyone to try and figure out if I ever got hit in the back liftgate door and no one could guess.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,368 Posts
Check your garage and think what could come in contact when you park, front or backwards.

I'll share a story to open up your mind.
I had a Sienna and got a dent on the top of the back pillar, above the headlight and on the side of the rear glass and took me years to find out how it happened. Always thought it happened on the street and then realized I did it.

I have a plastic tote hanging on the wall of the garage, it sits above the hood with plenty of clearance. I only park backwards in the garage when I am doing any maintenance that requires it, well, the tote had enough clearance for the hood but that didn't work when I parked in reverse...

For your door to dent that way, the left rubber stopper would have to be way high and the hatch lock be strong enough to bend the bottom of the door. Check if you get a crazy amount of sunlight on that portion of the trunk where you park, like lots of reflection from a window or something that would concentrate sunlight on that spot and cause it to overheat. Try to leave no stone unturned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like either you are backing up into the same object and not noticing it, or there is someone backing up into you in your community and not telling you about it when he hits you (which is probably most likely) From the height of the hit, seems like it could be a truck.
Not possible due to way vehicle was parked both times & we didn't back into anything. It is a mystery, that I hope we can solve!

·
Registered
2 Posts
KayFiz is my parent and now they have this same dent in a third pathfinder!! You can’t tell me that something is hitting the vehicle in the same exact spot on three different vehicles. They don’t have a garage so they aren’t backing into anything! There is an issue here and someone needs to check out,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,368 Posts
I've only heard of these 3 incidents and all in the same family...

Check if where you guys are parking, there is a strong sun reflection that hits the liftgate when it is parked on that driveway. You'll need to observe throughout the whole day.
A nearby window that concentrates sun light in that spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts