Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've searched through the forums but can't find a similar issue. I apologize if this has been already answered.

When I push the button to open the lift gate on my 2015 Pathfinder it unlocks and then immediately closes. It will not lift at all. This happens whether I use the fob, button on the lift gate, or the button under the dash. Sometimes it will open after the 4th or 5th try, sometimes it just won't open at all.

I've been to the dealership 3x now to have them fix it. They have seen the problem first hand. The problem initially started in July 2016. At that time they thought the lock mechanism needed to be greased. That helped for a little while but then it started acting up again. By April 2017 it got to the point that I couldn't get into the back at all. This time, the tech told me that he thought my dogs must have slobbered on the seal and that's why it was sticking. They cleaned the seal and lubricated it. The very next day I had the same problem and back to the dealer I went. This time I was told that my stricker on the lock mechanism was not aligned properly. Was told that they fixed it and sent home. Very next day, lo and behold, my liftgate wont open again.

I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem. Please help!!! Not being able to use the back of the pathfinder defeats the reason I bought an SUV. :(
I've searched through the forums but can't find a similar issue. I apologize if this has been already answered.

When I push the button to open the lift gate on my 2015 Pathfinder it unlocks and then immediately closes. It will not lift at all. This happens whether I use the fob, button on the lift gate, or the button under the dash. Sometimes it will open after the 4th or 5th try, sometimes it just won't open at all.

I've been to the dealership 3x now to have them fix it. They have seen the problem first hand. The problem initially started in July 2016. At that time they thought the lock mechanism needed to be greased. That helped for a little while but then it started acting up again. By April 2017 it got to the point that I couldn't get into the back at all. This time, the tech told me that he thought my dogs must have slobbered on the seal and that's why it was sticking. They cleaned the seal and lubricated it. The very next day I had the same problem and back to the dealer I went. This time I was told that my stricker on the lock mechanism was not aligned properly. Was told that they fixed it and sent home. Very next day, lo and behold, my liftgate wont open again.

I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem. Please help!!! Not being able to use the back of the pathfinder defeats the reason I bought an SUV. :(
Just now experiencing the same crap that you described.

My 2015 pathfinder started doing the same thing that you described. I've had the pf to service 4 times now for this reason, still not fixed . I searched internet and it seems like a Nissan engineering issue. I just wanted to know if you ever got your lift gate issue resolved and how was it fixed? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have experienced this issue as well during warm weather. We live in the south so it is a pretty much year round issue. I have found that periodically cleaning both the seal and the lift gate where the seal hits stops it from sticking. I clean them every time I wash my cat and have had no issues since I starting using this method.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had the same issue (2017 pathfinder) in WI in all weather! No dogs here either. Family of 6...let me just say, grocery shopping sucks! Especially around the carseats when the tailgate is stuck shut.
It opens on average 2 times between each time we pull the battery to reset it.
Dealership acts as though we don't know what we are talking about. The cannot 'replicate" the problem. You've got to be kidding me. They also couldn't figure out why the coolant was low. Charged for a draining because they thought it was a bubble that got in the system. Um I'm not a mechanic but the only time it was drained was a year prior when we had it repaired from a deer. It would not be a bubble. We won't be going back to the dealership we purchased from.
However, we still have this lift gate issue after a year...has anyone else figured out any other solutions?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but the power liftgate computer has a failsafe that will not allow the door to open if it detects an issue. When my spindle broke off, after it was disconnected, the computer would not unlock the liftgate - electronically or manually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but the power liftgate computer has a failsafe that will not allow the door to open if it detects an issue. When my spindle broke off, after it was disconnected, the computer would not unlock the liftgate - electronically or manually.
Thank you.. There is nothing we can visually see as wrong. It just works one time, then not the next.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts