Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the issue on the front license plate bracket where it bends the plate after going through a car wash? The bracket only covers the top half of the plate so it leaves the bottom half exposed. We even put a frame around the plate but the car washes still bend it. Horrible design, has anyone else had this issue or a solution?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Talked to the dealers in our area and they suggest using zip ties to hold the bottom of the front plate or remove the plate each time before going into the car wash???? REALLY!!! We asked if there was a replacement solution/plate bracket in the works to resolve this horrible design and they said probably not.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I would recommend one of these:

ClearCover License Plate Frames by WeatherTech | WeatherTech.com

It's a solid, all one piece design. It comes with nuts and bolts for the bottom holes (assuming your vehicle doesn't have mount points there) so that the plate frame reenforces the plate. There's no way your plate could possibly bend with this thing installed.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't get it. How is your plate mounted in the front?

You mean the bracket slides down? I didn't even know the plastic bends..

And how is a car wash strong enough to bend the plate? What kind of destructive car wash are you going through?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I don't get it. How is your plate mounted in the front?

You mean the bracket slides down? I didn't even know the plastic bends..

And how is a car wash strong enough to bend the plate? What kind of destructive car wash are you going through?
The front plate backer is not as tall as the plate. So, the bottom half of the plate is exposed, with no reinforcement. A strong blast of water could bend the lower half of the plate due to this design.

I recommended the plate frame because it would re-enforce the plate by having a strong plastic barrier upfront, that mounts at 4 points (even if there's only two mount points on the vehicle). That should solve the problem in a nutshell.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Strange. I go through touch less car washes all the time and never had a problem.

Plate frame seems like a good idea though.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I wouldn't advise that you go through the automatic car washes, especially one's that are not touchless as they can scratch your vehicle very badly.

All types of vehicles go through them, and what ever dirt was on those vehicles get caught onto the rags or whatever it is that rubs against your car.

Just imagine if some construction workers truck full of rocks, mud, etc just went through it .....im pretty sure your car would get scratched.

You're better off going to a coin car wash.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Even though it's illegal to not have a front plate in my state I've been doing it for 20 years with only one ticket. First thing I did when I got home was remove the bracket and paint some plugs with touch up paint. Front plates look like ass!

·
Registered
186 Posts
not sure where you live but some states allow the installation of a 4X12 plate in the front which fits the front bracket perfect! I live in PA where we do not require a front plate but I put a nice mini-chrome plate with pathfinder logo in the front which is totally backed and protected. Check out my thread on front plate option I posted to see a picture

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just discovered I am having the same issue. There is a local car wash that does an unlimited monthly price and in Minnesota winters, that saves a lot of money. Unfortunately, it is not a touchless wash but i have gotten over that. We didn't have any issues with scratching on a previous vehicle which was a dark color and our new Pathfinder is white (which shouldn't show minor scratching as much). I noticed today that the plate is bent again after my wife took it through the wash. It doesn't happen every time, but has happened at least twice. Any other options to consider besides the weathertech plate cover?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I just discovered I am having the same issue. There is a local car wash that does an unlimited monthly price and in Minnesota winters, that saves a lot of money. Unfortunately, it is not a touchless wash but i have gotten over that. We didn't have any issues with scratching on a previous vehicle which was a dark color and our new Pathfinder is white (which shouldn't show minor scratching as much). I noticed today that the plate is bent again after my wife took it through the wash. It doesn't happen every time, but has happened at least twice. Any other options to consider besides the weathertech plate cover?
I personally prefer touch car washes (modern ones). They are fairly self-maintaining and I've never run into a problem with damage of any kind. The touchless washes often don't clear the dirt away as well.

I can think of many ways to brace the plate. Assuming you can find a thick piece of plain, black plastic sheeting (maybe 2-3mm thick), you could use your plate as a template and cut it to the same dimensions. Then, drill two holes where the mounting bolts go into the bracket (again, use the license plate as a template). Then, place the plastic piece behind the plate and mount it. The sheet should brace the plate enough to keep it from bending.

Alternately, you could just get your run-of-the-mill license plate frame (make sure it's made of sturdy materials and that it has all four mounting holes). Mount it via the two top holes. Then, pick up two fairly shallow nuts and matching bolts. Secure the bottom two holes to the plate with the nuts and bolts. That should ensure that the plate frame fully reenforces the plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts