Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan just released official photos of the 2014 Rogue. They did a good job of adding alot of tech and moving it more upscale. The one thing that stood out is the available LED DRL & LED Headlights on the upper end models. Yet PF owners don't have the option of Xenon headlights. Glad to see Nissan keeping up with the competition but it would be nice to see them add similar options to all models across the board.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The new Rogue looks nice. I'm with you on the LED DRL. The new Rogue will sell because it's bigger and Nissan added a 3rd row as a option. Cargo space is not bad either. It's actually bigger than the Murano. Rogue 39.2 cu ft compare to the Murano 29.0 cu ft with the 2nd row up. And with it down the Rogue has 71.6 cu ft to the Murano 64.0 cu ft of space. If the Rogue was as big as the Pathfinder and equip with a V6, I will definitely pick it over the Pathfinder.

Here's some more info on the new Rogue

All-New 2014 Nissan Rogue Crossover | Nissan USA

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
seeing how the rouge gets this amazing headlight update, i just think it's only a matter of time till it makes it's way to the Pathfinder. But it's going to be a wait, give it till a mid-cycle refresh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This just shows you that nissan cheeped out on these rigs.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The update to the Rogue puts the Pathfinder in a strange position.

Nissan will need to update the Pathfinder if they want to keep it competitive. I feel like they took the xenon lights out of the pathfinder just so it doesnt compete with the JX...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The update to the Rogue puts the Pathfinder in a strange position.

Nissan will need to update the Pathfinder if they want to keep it competitive. I feel like they took the xenon lights out of the pathfinder just so it doesnt compete with the JX...
Good point, it would make JX owners feel like they got no more than just a pretty PF if the PF was to get things like that.

There's always the possibility of the PF getting it in a mid-cycle refresh

·
Registered
440 Posts
Aren't LED DRLs available as a cheap add-on? I can't remember if I saw them on the Nissan Parts site (where they also have every other kind of OEM LED lighting option) or somewhere else, but I think they were under $100.

OEM or not, should be an easy add with the accessory harness wire, just tap an ignition-switched hot wire. Pulling wiring should be the same as the fog lights, for which instructions are available on the nissan-techinfo site.

I'm thinking about adding these myself, as it's yet another thing our $19k Sonata has that the Pathfinder lacks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know you can get LED DRL on the Murano as a dealer installed accessory. You can always throw on some add ons without breaking the bank. There is a shop (One Eighty Customs) in NY that will customize headlight to your liking (Projector Xenon, LED's etc) but it can get costly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is the issue with Xenon/LED projectors - they produce an extremely intense point-source beam which can blind oncoming drivers. To mitigate this, all cars with projectors are REQUIRED to have light-leveling systems - sensors in the front suspension measure the angle of the car and actuators in the headlight adjust the beams height accordingly. This is fairly pricy, as you can imagine. After having Xenons on three vehicles, my last two have regular halogens. You know what -- the novelty wears out. It doesn't matter. I'll take a simpler system over a complex one. Both the level sensors and the actuators can malfunction if dirt gets in there, and Xenon lamps themselves cost a ton to replace.

Regarding the LED running lights - yeah it was cool when Audi introduced them - but Audis are beautiful cars and the lights completed them. When I see LEDs on a chevy/hyundai/etc., gives me the visions of lipstick on a pig.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know you can get LED DRL on the Murano as a dealer installed accessory. You can always throw on some add ons without breaking the bank. There is a shop (One Eighty Customs) in NY that will customize headlight to your liking (Projector Xenon, LED's etc) but it can get costly.
Great info... thanks!

I found the installation guide for the Murano, which should probably be a great starting point for a Pathfinder installation. The biggest question I have now is whether the OEM Murano LED strip (or an aftermarket one) will fit inside the headlight housing on the Pathfinder.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/diskdocs/1/S/Z/1SZ40.PDF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is the issue with Xenon/LED projectors - they produce an extremely intense point-source beam which can blind oncoming drivers. To mitigate this, all cars with projectors are REQUIRED to have light-leveling systems - sensors in the front suspension measure the angle of the car and actuators in the headlight adjust the beams height accordingly. This is fairly pricy, as you can imagine. After having Xenons on three vehicles, my last two have regular halogens. You know what -- the novelty wears out. It doesn't matter. I'll take a simpler system over a complex one. Both the level sensors and the actuators can malfunction if dirt gets in there, and Xenon lamps themselves cost a ton to replace.

Regarding the LED running lights - yeah it was cool when Audi introduced them - but Audis are beautiful cars and the lights completed them. When I see LEDs on a chevy/hyundai/etc., gives me the visions of lipstick on a pig.
We had a 2011 Mazda 6 with the Xenon headlights and they did not auto adjust. There was a dial that you were supposed to adjust according to the load in your car. We had a full car many times and never once thought to adjust the lights. Probably blinded a lot of people, but honestly thats the last thing you are thinking about when you get in the car to head out. Maybe that applies to new cars (2012+) but I am not sure that is required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts