Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Pathfinder Plat with 41K. I noticed a leak with is coming from the Trans Cooler line that runs under the lower front of the radiator. Upon inspection, it appears there is small crack in the tube that I'm guessing connects the trans to the cooler. It is an aluminum elbow-shaped tube that feeds into a rubber tube that in turn, goes to the trans cooler. The crack seems to be right before where the aluminum and rubber meet at the elbow. I tried to patch by placing another rubber tube over the crack and sealing with clamps to no avail. I will get a pic uploaded when I get a chance. My question is, is this something that would be covered under the powertrain warranty? It clearly is trans fluid that is leaking. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My question is, is this something that would be covered under the powertrain warranty? It clearly is trans fluid that is leaking. Any insight is appreciated.
Seeing it is required for the CVT fluid to keep the correct temperature so that the CVT doesn't fail, you could argue that it is part of the powertrain system

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, Mercina. That was my thinking as well. I'm going to take it on on Monday (the Pathy is not my daily driver), so hopefully they will agree. I will post my results here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the Pathy towed to dealership yesterday to address the leak in trans cooler line. Bad news is the transmission was damaged internally due to the leak. Good news is Nissan is covering everything under the powertrain warranty - including towing. Great experience with the dealership. Will take 2 days to get transmission and another day or two for install.

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts
Had the Pathy towed to dealership yesterday to address the leak in trans cooler line.
I hope that they flatbedded it if you have the AWD version. Otherwise, you may be bringing it back there to address problems with your diff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have AWD and it was flatbedded. Didn't know diff problems could arise from towing, but now glad it was flatbedded.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Even in neutral the AWD system is linked. Towing by the front will pooch the drive train. Flat bed or not at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: Happy to report that I got the Pathfinder back last Friday with a rebuilt trans and new trans cooler. Everything covered under powertrain warranty. So far, everything seems to be great. I had experienced a bit of the judders prior to the new tranny, but now she's as smooth as can be. Hoping this lasts for many miles to come!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2nd UPDATE: Got home last night and noticed a spot on driveway. Leak again... this time it appears to be coming from further back under transmission. Good news is it's not the cooler line this time, and the transmission is still shifting very smoothly. Back to the dealer, sigh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So as another UPDATE: Turns out I was leaking differential fluid due to leak in the transfer case. Service adviser said she "didn't know how they missed that". Another week later, I receive car back and am told they performed a "seal procedure" instead of replacing the transfer case. When I jokingly said "I won't be back again next week, will I?" sh replied "Oh no. the service manager personally inspected your vehicle for any leaks". Well... guess where I'm heading tonight? Transfer case leaking AGAIN! Apparently, a "seal procedure" does not do the trick! TO RECAP: Bad trans cooler line toasted the tranny. New tranny caused transfer case leaks. Transfer case leak "repaired". Now back to repair the "repaired" leak . Ugh!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So as another UPDATE: Turns out I was leaking differential fluid due to leak in the transfer case. Service adviser said she "didn't know how they missed that". Another week later, I receive car back and am told they performed a "seal procedure" instead of replacing the transfer case. When I jokingly said "I won't be back again next week, will I?" sh replied "Oh no. the service manager personally inspected your vehicle for any leaks". Well... guess where I'm heading tonight? Transfer case leaking AGAIN! Apparently, a "seal procedure" does not do the trick! TO RECAP: Bad trans cooler line toasted the tranny. New tranny caused transfer case leaks. Transfer case leak "repaired". Now back to repair the "repaired" leak . Ugh!
You should check out my thread called "Identify Leak" and tell me if it appears to be similar. This leak is huge! Not just a drip. Has me a little nervous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts