Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried a 255/70R18 tire? I'm looking for ground clearance not width. I was considering 265/70R18 as well, but being 2.25" overall taller, I am worried about the clearance to the bottom of the strut spring mount as well the overall width. I see 265/60r18 is the normal that people are going with, but that is not much taller and is a lot wider. Yes this is for light off road and snow, and yes I know it's not a full SUV.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,418 Posts
When considering the height of the tire, you also need to be concerned about load rating. The Pathfinder curb weight is about 4500 lbs. If you get too tall a tire, it will get wonky (technical term) when you make turns and could fail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When considering the height of the tire, you also need to be concerned about load rating. The Pathfinder curb weight is about 4500 lbs. If you get too tall a tire, it will get wonky (technical term) when you make turns and could fail.
The vehicle is rated for 106 T and the 20" version is only 102T. The only step down from T is S and the difference is 180km vs 190km per hour(prolonged speeds above this can cause tire damage and failures). The speed rating has little to do with the load rating which is the 106 and 102 numbers. The rated load rating is also one of the lowest for truck and suv tires as well, so there is little chance that that will have an effect. I would agree that extreme sidewall changes like going from 20"- 16" rims can have an effect, but even then only if the load and speed ratings are changed drastically. For example going from a 50 series H rated 20" tire to an s or t rated 16" tire would feel wonky. Fortunately not an issue with the pathfinder. Most of the larger tires are truck tires and are designed for the weight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts