Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped the vehicle this morning at the dealer hoping to get them to identify a knocking sound my PF has had for a while and get it fixed.

First time I heard it was on Dec 2015 on a trip we did to Florida, stopped at a gas station after driving for 18+ hours and there it was. A knocking sound coming from the front of the vehicle, it does not increase with RPMs and cannot hear it once you are driving (maybe masked by other noises).

I reported the noise when I came back, sometime in January 2016, and again every one of the multiple times I took the PF to the dealer to address the multiple issues I’ve had. The knocking was always left last as priority was given to the issues that were, well, causing an issue.

Since my PF just hit 60k km (end of bumper to bumper warranty), I decided to get this done before it’s too late. To my surprise (not sure if anything really surprises me anymore when it comes to Nissan), although there are records that the knocking has been reported multiple times, there were no records of it ever being “heard” by the technicians….

This morning I took it in, asked to get the tech to come and sit with me in the vehicle and listen to it. Once I got him to acknowledge it, I immediately asked the service rep to log that in the system.

The noise happens mostly when the vehicle is warm and it gets louder during summer. If it wasn’t coming from the front I’d have suspected it being the fuel pump. Can only hear it when idling and set on Drive or Reverse, tech said it could be the load and not necessarily the transmission…

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Dealer just called and guess what... they are now saying that knocking sound is normal...
:bang:
Said they have another one that does the same noise... guess 2 vehicles with the same issue makes it right !

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'm going to ask:

With a warm engine, in a quiet area (ideally inside a garage), please place the vehicle in Drive and let it idle with the brake pressed.
Do you hear a knocking sound?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only sound I hear that resembles a knock is the dieseling sound that the A/C compressor makes sometimes. And that goes away for awhile when the system gets evacuated and recharged with new oil.

Make some audio on this one, I am curious.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Could even be something loose and rattling at idle, which then goes away once vehicle starts moving, can you pop the bonnet and get a better audio recording ?

if i heard that on mine, it would $hit me to no end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Absolutely it's not normal. Sound like if you are driving old diesel truck.

Ones it's comes to dealers always they are saying about the issues its normal.

Like the Tik Tik sound that I have when I turn the steering wheel while breaking.... They fix it 3 times before and last time it's become normal..!!

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could even be something loose and rattling at idle, which then goes away once vehicle starts moving, can you pop the bonnet and get a better audio recording ?

if i heard that on mine, it would $hit me to no end.
You can't hear it in the engine bay, I tried that. I guess other noises such as fans and the turbine-boosted-power steering pump mask it.

I strongly believe is coming from the transmission as it sounds when in "gear".

Guess I'm calling Nissan... thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
One other thought: my son's Subaru had a funny knocking - turned out to be a loose heat shield that once it warmed up, fit tighter and no longer knocked, Not sure if that applies here, but worth a shot. BUt I still say it is dieseling. :)

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does sound like it although I cannot hear mine at the engine bay, only inside the cabin with radio and AC off.
From what I've read so far, no one seems to know the cause.
I contacted Nissan and I'm waiting for their response but after seeing that this is common on Maxima's which I believe share the same engine as the 13-16 PF, I doubt they'll do much about it...

Thanks for sharing that info !

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@noms23

They replied stating that they spoke with the dealer, reviewed the case and then concluded that the knocking was normal... :tango_face_plain:

I replied back to them, still waiting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder SV. To all of you who have this problem, I originally thought it was an exhaust leak. Took it to a dealership could not identify issue and compared to another vehicle and they said it was normal. So I did some of my own investigating, could not hear it in the engine bay. Lifted vehicle and heard the noise under the vehicle very prominent. Used my stethoscope and found it to be loudest on the fuel supply line. Followed the noise up and down the fuel line and found it to to be louder in the line as I get closer to the fuel rail. Found the noise at the fuel rail dampers to be of the same rhythm. I have Nissan Tech friends and I told them about what I found and they said there is a TSB for similar noise for the 1st generation Murano and it is to replace the fuel dampers on the fuel rail. No TSB exists for the 2014 and up Pathfinders. I have not replaced the fuel dampers on my pathfinder because it is not causing a drive ability issue and I am not annoyed by it just yet. If anyone is interested in replacing it, please update of your findings and results.

These are the dampers
683489D6-1DFC-4272-9357-7E7485F0E142.jpeg

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum !
I met a Nissan Tech who suggested that same part, here is the TSB for it.

Took it to two different dealers, one first said it was not normal and then, after meeting with the service manager came saying it was normal. The other dealer said it was the radiator fans and when I asked them why the noise increased with rpms, they said it was because the fans were driven by the engine... that was my last interaction ever with a Nissan service dept.

I haven't fixed it yet, now that I know what it could be, I'm not worried anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,010 Posts
Good info for sure.

I guess the good thing about the 2017+ is the whirring and clacking from the cam driven high pressure fuel pump drowns out other noises. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i wonder if this part is a DIY. is it hard to swap out if you get your pathfinder on ramps?
i assume it's under the car....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts