Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of the blue, I received a Key ID Incorrect error three times today when I went to start the Pathfinder. It happened three times in succession when I was running some errands and then it was fine after that.

I tried doing some random things (opening and closing the door, rolling down the window, etc.) and it finally started. I suspected that maybe the signal was slow in being recognized, so I just waited and then tried it again.

When I got home, I researched the forum, and only one other person had reported experiencing it. I also found this YouTube:

It was very strange and very disconcerting to say the least!

UPDATE: I had to go out again later in the day and received the error again in my garage! I tried # 1 in the video and haven't received the error again, so that might be the trick.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We've been getting that a bit recently. Wife's fob had a low battery, but I changed them both. Have not seen the error pop up. Yet. BTW, the batteries were at 2.9v so this system is intolerant of low voltage. Should work way below that on a 3.3 v system. And I thought these were RFID and the battery was only for long distance/remote start?

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
When my fob's battery was low I used to get that message frequently but it will always start when placing the fob next to the start button. I replaced my battery with a Maxwell CR2032 (OEM was Panasonic) so check if the battery you used wasn't a good quality brand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To back up everyone else here ... it was almost 100% certainly the battery. I got the same warning on mine and it worried me a little at first. I also occasionally got the low battery on key fob warning. Just replace the battery and it will go away.

·
Super Moderator
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense, since the wife's fob battery gave out at about the same time. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just replaced my keyfob battery last week. Youtube had a good demo of separating the two halves of the fob with a small flat blade screwdriver.

Will this strand you in the middle of nowhere one day? Or not, since pushing the START button in the car with the keyfob still was working for me?

The battery wasn't totally dead but since replacing it I have a lot more range for the remote starter.

·
Super Moderator
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the battery is truly dead, yes, I believe you will be stranded. I took my nearly-dead battery out and put it back in to get it to work. After replacing the battery, no problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently replaced my battery after 3 years and still get random, do not recognize the key Fob error messages. Sometimes, when I drop a passenger off and the car is still running, when the passenger door closes, the message pops up then. Very strange. I am not a fan of the keyless ignition process.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As others mentioned it is usually when your keyfob is low on battery. It can also be triggered by another vehicle's smart key interfering with the signal. I have my other vehicle key fob on the same key ring and it does this. Solved the problem by not carrying the other key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
According to the 2017 manual, there's a procedure to start the vehicle even when the key fob battery is discharged. So although not very practical, you should still be able to start the vehicle according to the following guide...

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently replaced my battery after 3 years and still get random, do not recognize the key Fob error messages. Sometimes, when I drop a passenger off and the car is still running, when the passenger door closes, the message pops up then. Very strange. I am not a fan of the keyless ignition process.
I also changed the battery and still once or thrice in day I will get No key detected message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here get this no key error all the time .changed batteries in key most have to touch key button to start

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
jman
Nissan Pathfinder Forum
PathfinderTalk forum community for owners to discuss maintenance, problems, service for 2013 and newer Nissan Pathfinder
Full Forum Listing